advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

Vänskä's Beethoven SACD cycle on BIS at £21.18 + shipping

bisbissacd182526.jpg

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BISSACD1825%2F26

Focus - Hocus Pocus Box (13 CD)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072R3QQ8K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I pre-ordered mine today from here (£39.61 post paid from Germany);-

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/focus-hocus-pocus-box/hnum/7447284
Fantastic thanks! The UK site wanted £52, after a bit of wrestling in German mine came in at £39-odd from Tchermany too!

Edit - just got the confirmation, £37.73 delivered next week! Fab! Even with the £ in its current state, that's a hell of a deal.

All together now: Jodel-odel-odel-odel-odel-odel-odle-odel-odle-odle-odle-odle-ot-dat-daah! (Repeat). Ahh-aah-aah-aah! and guitar break.
[/hocus pocus]

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Fantastic thanks! The UK site wanted £52, after a bit of wrestling in German mine came in at £39-odd from Tchermany too!

Edit - just got the confirmation, £37.73 delivered next week! Fab! Even with the £ in its current state, that's a hell of a deal.

All together now: Jodel-odel-odel-odel-odel-odel-odle-odel-odle-odle-odle-odle-ot-dat-daah! (Repeat). Ahh-aah-aah-aah! and guitar break.
[/hocus pocus]

This arrived today Steve (excellent and decent packaging from the German company, perfect condition)....Looks great!

I haven't had a chance to listen/rip anything as my laptop has given up on me unfortunately :(

Edit:- Looking through the discs tonight I noticed that the Jan Akkerman/Thijs Van Leer 'Focus' album from 1985 is the edited vinyl LP version and not the CD version from the time (meaning that this is the first time on CD for the shorter version).

I just returned this to Amazon(first time I've ever done this for an undamaged item). Some of the recordings were from the 60s and I wanted modern recordings on original instruments.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MY6NF1S/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I never get through massive box sets anyway.... oops just spotted the Karajan 101disc set for £124. There's a musical education right there. He never produced any turkeys- only the DG engineers did that in the 79s and their sins could be overlooked in this context.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My technique for working my way through big boxsets is to reinsert the CD sleeve of the CD just played so that the spine sits horizontally (assuming all spines are facing up to begin with), and if it's a stinker, reinsert the CD sleeve so that the spine faces the bottom never to be seen again.

With the 50 Great Recordings boxset, I reckon it'll take a year or two for me to play all of them at least once but hopefully I'll have fished out a few stinkers along the way. If they're all good, however, I reckon it'll take a lifetime to play them all again as no doubt there will be other big boxsets to play. Playing and enjoying music can be really time-consuming.

He never produced any turkeys
Okay, ask someone capable of reading music and listen to much of his 80s output. It would have been cool if Karajan had rehearsed long enough so the orchestra would at least play all notes written on the score.

A great conductor no doubt, but most of his 80s recordings were rubbish except a few gems like his Bruckner 8th. His last set of Beethoven Symphonies was a virtually unrehearsed moneymaking project. With dreadful sound, that was not his fault but he had a reputation for being pedantic about sound quality and recording technique, were his ears really up to the job at that time.

I do like the Karajan sauce, but having to work my way through a 100-piece boxset, everything sounding the same from Bach to Ravel, no thanks.

A great conductor no doubt, but most of his 80s recordings were rubbish except a few gems like his Bruckner 8th. His last set of Beethoven Symphonies was a virtually unrehearsed moneymaking project. With dreadful sound, that was not his fault but he had a reputation for being pedantic about sound quality and recording technique, were his ears really up to the job at that time.

Yes, indeed, astoundingly poor given how good his earlier Beethoven Symphonies were. He was quite ill by then though, I believe.

Most of his opera recordings were exceptional though.

Yes, indeed, astoundingly poor given how good his earlier Beethoven Symphonies were. He was quite ill by then though, I believe.
In fact, Karajan was sort of forced into producing another set due to the then-new DDD recording technique. And his health was poor indeed, with severe back pain. But he had first-rate assistants at hand, why didn't he order them to do whatever was needed so the Philharmoniker would master all technical aspects of the symphonies properly ? The maestro would just have had to come by for a few sessions and give his final thumbs up for the recording.

Most of his opera recordings were exceptional though.

His productions for Salzburg in the 80s and subsequent DG studio recordings with the cast, were very fine indeed. No part is treated as anything less than the principal roles in terms of performance quality and artists chosen.
Don Giovanni and Magic Flute come to mind. There's hilarious footage of him rehearsing Ramey and Furlanetto (as Leporello) on stage in Salzburg and telling Ramey to kick Furlanetto in the arse.

There's a musical education right there. He never produced any turkeys

Try listening to his interpretation of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring - a turkey if ever I've heard one. His Tristan und Isolde is also below par; surprising from a conductor who gave us one of the great Parsifals.

Must be mis-priced at £4.93 (pre-order)
Sviatoslav Richter Live At Carnegie Hall
13CD Box set

http://amzn.eu/cm5jZ0C
An absolute gem for all those who are into typical Richter playing, incandescent and passionate as hell, including a few wrong notes.

The content amazes me somewhat, as I thought Richter had had some of the matrixes destroyed as he later dissociated himself from some of the interpretations - like the fiery Appassionata which is still considered one of the best live performances ever played. Vinyls used to be very sought after and I suppose these recordings were transferred from one of them. Where's Todd when we need him ?

advertisement

Back