advertisement

Banning escooters on trains

sad news

An e-bike was the most probable cause of a fire that killed a mother and her two children, investigators said.

Gemma Germeney, 31, died at the scene on Sackville Close in King's Hedges, Cambridge, on Friday.

Lilly Peden, eight, and four-year-old Oliver Peden died later in hospital.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze started accidentally and, following an investigation, it was thought the most probable cause was an electric bike that was charging.

A man in his 30s remains in a critical condition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66088503
Failing to see the relevance. File under phone fires.

makes you wonder what future we a letting ourselves in for with electric cars........with massive lithium batteries....

they had planned to reintroduce E scooters in birmingham today but this has been released

So, there won't be scooters today after all.
E Mail received this morning from Transport for West Midlands:
'During the last two weeks, Beryl alongside Transport for West Midlands and Birmingham City Council have been hosting engagement events in anticipation of an e-scooter service relaunch. We had hoped this service would begin on the 19th July. Unfortunately, we are going to see a short delay in the service restarting. In responding to Coroner’s report, issued in response to the tragic death in December 2022, Beryl and TfWM have been working on advanced safety measures. These are not yet ready for deployment and so the difficult decision has been taken to delay the service launch temporarily until all parties are satisfied. Safety of the service remains the key priority of Beryl, TfWM and Birmingham City Council, with every effort being made to ensure the highest standards are met.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We aim to give a further update on the relaunch in the coming days'.
Best Regards
Mark Collins
Head of Future Transport

CAN AN EV BATTERY PACK EXPLODE?
An electric vehicle battery can explode. However, electric vehicles are no more likely to explode or catch fire than any other type of vehicle.

Electric cars have cooling systems in place to prevent fire or explosion. However, high temperatures, crashes, or overcharging can cause electric car batteries to ignite.

The batteries, if damaged, can get wet and explode or catch fire, and if they do, the vapours can be extremely hazardous.

If electric vehicles catch fire, they are often more difficult to extinguish.

Electric cars use lithium-ion batteries, which can burn for hours. So lots of water is needed to put out the fire.

For example, to extinguish a Tesla which had caught fire, it took more than 30,000 gallons of water in four hours to extinguish because of the heat the fire creates. A typical car fire takes around 30 minutes to handle and around 500 to 1,000 gallons of water.

So, putting out an electrical fire is more problematic and requires a different approach.

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/blog/are-electric-cars-dangerous-in-an-accident/

they had planned to reintroduce E scooters in birmingham today but this has been released

So, there won't be scooters today after all.
E Mail received this morning from Transport for West Midlands:
'During the last two weeks, Beryl alongside Transport for West Midlands and Birmingham City Council have been hosting engagement events in anticipation of an e-scooter service relaunch. We had hoped this service would begin on the 19th July. Unfortunately, we are going to see a short delay in the service restarting. In responding to Coroner’s report, issued in response to the tragic death in December 2022, Beryl and TfWM have been working on advanced safety measures. These are not yet ready for deployment and so the difficult decision has been taken to delay the service launch temporarily until all parties are satisfied. Safety of the service remains the key priority of Beryl, TfWM and Birmingham City Council, with every effort being made to ensure the highest standards are met.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We aim to give a further update on the relaunch in the coming days'.
Best Regards
Mark Collins
Head of Future Transport
There's a lot going on in Birmingham at the moment, quite a vocal campaign on safer streets following a number road traffic fatalities. I think the emphasis is in the wrong place but Birmingham is very car centric.

I wouldnt say it car centric . There is huge emphasis on safe cycle pathways and i regularly stop for cycle traffic lights which allow them across . its possible to cycle long distances from centre south to university areas . As long as E scooters stick to these its great but sadly they dont leading to fatalities and its good council have listened to coroners report

I wouldnt say it car centric . There is huge emphasis on safe cycle pathways and i regularly stop for cycle traffic lights which allow them across . its possible to cycle long distances from centre south to university areas . As long as E scooters stick to these its great but sadly they dont leading to fatalities and its good council have listened to coroners report
There’s also the much delayed & diminished tram system. Most cities are very car centric so it’s not unique to Birmingham. Unfortunately people do daft things but I certainly don’t think e-scooters are inherently dangerous.

I wouldnt say it car centric.

As an occasional visitor I would have to say Brum is pretty car centric. On my first visit I thought I'd wander up from New St station to the Jewellery Quarter and found six lanes of traffic in my way...

Interesting chart (I was kind of surprised that in London over 60% of travel is still by car!)

ViYzG3Y.png

advertisement

Back