advertisement

Banning escooters on trains

Let’s face it, the things are often used by folk who are up to no good, dealing, burglary, assisting car thefts etc. How do these kids afford to ride around (illegally) on £3 - 5K bits of kit? Do they all have rich uncles or something?
A couple of days ago some kids rode into our local Morrisons on electric scooters and small e-bikes, took what they wanted and rode back out before any could stop them.

A couple of days ago some kids rode into our local Morrisons on electric scooters and small e-bikes, took what they wanted and rode back out before any could stop them.

You’d think if the kids or their parents can afford to buy an e-bike, they can afford to shop at Morrisons too! This sort of crime is effectively ignored now. The shop won’t be bothered and even if they were, the police wouldn’t give a toss. It’s almost accepted in feral Britain and they know they’ll get away with it. I’d put the parents on the hook for it.

You’d think if the kids or their parents can afford to buy an e-bike, they can afford to shop at Morrisons too! This sort of crime is effectively ignored now. The shop won’t be bothered and even if they were, the police wouldn’t give a toss. It’s almost accepted in feral Britain and they know they’ll get away with it. I’d put the parents on the hook for it.
Everyone one an e-bike or e-scooter is a petty criminal and will soon move on to mass murder (or become a Tory MP) - gottit!

sitting outside my local last night, I witnessed an adult man ride past on what I can i can only describe as an electric motorcycle at high speed on the pavement. Swiftly it was followed by a small ICE motorcycle also on the pavement. Both terrified the people waiting at the bus stop where the pavement narrows significant.

Neither was wearing a helmet, both were wearing face coverings.

We were sat watching this spot for an hour and in addition to the two above, we counted 6 e-scooters (3 adults and 3 teens) at high speed, a 4 cyclists (3 adults and 1 child)

The users of these things round here are a menace.
So it’s cyclists as well now. Yep, just ban everything;)

Everyone one an e-bike or e-scooter is a petty criminal and will soon move on to mass murder (or become a Tory MP) - gottit!

Of course they’re not. However, I suspect a large amount of illegal activity is carried out with their assistance. Police need more powers. If they request you to stop (anyone, not just e scooters etc), you have 30 seconds to do so. After that, the police will use whatever tactics are deemed required to force a stop with full indemnity.

The level of conflation on here is utterly off the scale.

Criminals nick cars, ride BMXs etc so let’s just ban everything except mobility scooters.

I only see older people on e-bikes, maybe they are all criminals too?

It’s almost like banning things doesn’t necessarily stop people using them?

A couple of months ago, my wife saw a young mother go into Asda with a pram & shoplift a load of stuff before the staff could do anything. Can we ban prams also?

Can we ban poor people from leaving the house while we are at it?

Did shoplifting start prior to e-scooters or is this a new thing?

This thread is really setting a new high bar for PFM Grumpy Old Man threads.

It's well up there with recent classics like...

Music since 1995: what's that all about then?!
When I was their age I worked 100 hours a week for 12p an hour and was glad of it
You'd have a £2m house like me if you hadn't blown it all on £3 cups of coffee
Why don't young people spend hundreds of £££s on speaker cables the cloth eared fools?
When I was a student I lived off ditch water and dog poo and was glad of it
etc

Of course they’re not. However, I suspect a large amount of illegal activity is carried out with their assistance. Police need more powers. If they request you to stop (anyone, not just e scooters etc), you have 30 seconds to do so. After that, the police will use whatever tactics are deemed required to force a stop with full indemnity.
You really are quite authoritarian. You have no evidence at all, just parading your own ignorance & prejudice.

Shoplifting, burglaries & lots of other crimes have all existed for many years, way before the likes of e-scooters were even imagined.

What’s the other term you used, ‘feral Britain’?

You really are quite authoritarian. You have no evidence at all, just parading your own ignorance & prejudice.

Shoplifting, burglaries & lots of other crimes have all existed for many years, way before the likes of e-scooters were even imagined.

What’s the other term you used, ‘feral Britain’?

I’d like to see as much consideration given to the victims of crime than the perpetrators. Actually, an awful lot more.
Very little of this crime will get reported, yet we all know it’s going on. Do you not think these e scooters help facilitate such criminal activities in a far more efficient way than pushbikes?

This thread is really setting a new high bar for PFM Grumpy Old Man threads.

It's well up there with recent classics like...

Music since 1995: what's that all about then?!
When I was their age I worked 100 hours a week for 12p an hour and was glad of it
You'd have a £2m house like me if you hadn't blown it all on £3 cups of coffee
Why don't young people spend hundreds of £££s on speaker cables the cloth eared fools?
When I was a student I lived off ditch water and dog poo and was glad of it
etc

its not only being grumpy , its a concern for the moms who will lose a 10 year old as he /she uses an e-scooter on a busy road

its not only being grumpy , its a concern for the moms who will lose a 10 year old as he /she uses an e-scooter on a busy road

From a quick review of the thread I think you're one of the few members who has shown any concern for the safety of the riders - which is absolutely to your credit.

The rest is 90% Grumpy Old Man.

A couple of months ago, my wife saw a young mother go into Asda with a pram & shoplift a load of stuff before the staff could do anything. Can we ban prams also?

Can we ban poor people from leaving the house while we are at it?

Did shoplifting start prior to e-scooters or is this a new thing?

I think we can be pretty sure that robbery from shops - aka shoplifting - has existed since shops became a thing, but you knew that anyway.

What is new, at least according to reports in local newspapers around the country and becoming a bit of a thing apparently, is kids riding e-scooters and e-bikes into supermarkets, nicking stuff, and riding off into the sunset.

Robbery by poor people and women with prams is another issue altogether and a bit of a non-sequitur.

From a quick review of the thread I think you're one of the few members who has shown any concern for the safety of the riders - which is absolutely to your credit.

The rest is 90% Grumpy Old Man.
It doesn’t need a review of the thread to see most are concerned about the safety of everyone, only a couple are not, one of them preferring to preach, to badger and once again slate motorists.

The toad has been whizzing around again today, so it looks like a regular thing. I’ll be onto the Police next week about it. The parents must have no concern for any pedestrians the idiot might crash into before the inevitable happens and he gets splattered. Then it’ll be everyone else’s fault, particularly a motorist.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not really a grumpy old man, just old(ish), and I'd really quite like an e-scooter if I could legally ride it on the pavement. They look cool and great fun. I'f I could have one I'd promise not to go unreasonably fast or ride it round my local Co-Op nicking stuff.

advertisement

Back