advertisement

Banning escooters on trains

I think there are times when being annoyed by idiots flouting the law and common decency is legitimate.
I agree but conflating it to their means of travel seems a bit bizarre to me. Certain things are banned but suggesting they are responsible for a wider crime wave seems odd.

Perhaps the answer is police patrols on e-scooters?

I think we can be pretty sure that robbery from shops - aka shoplifting - has existed since shops became a thing, but you knew that anyway.

What is new, at least according to reports in local newspapers around the country and becoming a bit of a thing apparently, is kids riding e-scooters and e-bikes into supermarkets, nicking stuff, and riding off into the sunset.

Robbery by poor people and women with prams is another issue altogether and a bit of a non-sequitur.
The non-sequitur was the whole point, to show the absurdity of the argument.

Is there any actual evidence or are you just going on reports by local media? Local media is a very unreliable narrator, it’s underfunded & relies on clickbait headlines. Media always over reports bad news, especially if it is in anyway novel.

So, in the same news cycle thee could be lots of other more ‘usual’ crime which is not reported to the same level. It’s a bit boring, not seen as newsworthy.

There has been national coverage of a few recent & unfortunate incidents involving e-scooters & e-bikes; now it is seen as matter for massive concern. As I posted earlier there have been pedestrians run over by cars which haven’t received any coverage; these are not novel, we just accept it.

I feel all this outrage could be better directed.

I saw some kind of police electric scooter last month in Islington - looked a typical 125 petrol scooter but whizzed along almost silently. Very cool!
The Plod have had mountain bikes round here for a while. It would have been a good idea for one of the cops of my yojth, Fatty Stevens was known to all of us and using a bike would have reduced his 20-odd stone frame to something more manageable. Instead the only exercise he got was running the local scout troop.

I was out riding earlier & noticed a group of youngish lads on cheapish looking mountain bikes which had been converted to electric. I assume these kits are quite cost effective as they are used by Deliveroo (& others) riders.

This is quite a dangerous grey area for me, surely such companies have a duty of care to ensure their delivery riders are on safe & legal modes of transport.

On the other hand is the alternative badly maintained cars/motorbikes driven by the uninsured etc. it’s a very tricky issue. Impossible to police effectively.

Perhaps hire schemes are the answer after all;)

I was out riding earlier & noticed a group of youngish lads on cheapish looking mountain bikes which had been converted to electric. I assume these kits are quite cost effective as they are used by Deliveroo (& others) riders.

This is quite a dangerous grey area for me, surely such companies have a duty of care to ensure their delivery riders are on safe & legal modes of transport.

On the other hand is the alternative badly maintained cars/motorbikes driven by the uninsured etc. it’s a very tricky issue. Impossible to police effectively.

Check out 226 and 227, you wrote them.

I doubt you can help the absurdity, being on an anti-car crusade, but a lack of consistency is something else.

Companies who sell battery assisted wheeled vehicles, or sell kits to convert unassisted vehicles to powered vehicles, are more often than not scrupulous in pointing out that the buyer must check the legality of their use in the country of use.

Companies who sell battery assisted wheeled vehicles, or sell kits to convert unassisted vehicles to powered vehicles, are more often than not scrupulous in pointing out that the buyer must check the legality of their use in the country of use.
I was more thinking about the people who employ or contract delivery riders.

i know this is a thread about e scooters but i rather like this

It exists but is an electric scooter with a treadmill attached.

It even says there’s a battery, giving 60 miles range. I presume it is recharged to some extent by the treadmill.
As others have said it's not a fake, it's declared as having a motor, battery, etc. The mechanics of it are all wrong though for the rider to provide any meaningful input. Consider the effort that you put into a bike with pedals, then imagine doing the same via strolling along on a rubber treadmill. Doesn't work, does it? What do you push against to do the work? So it's a cool toy that you can use around town, the treadmill is a good way to turn it on and off and regulate the speed.
When I was working at a factory in Boston there was a guy commuted on a conventional child's scooter. He got on just fine, bowled along keeping up with most of the bikes.

sad news

An e-bike was the most probable cause of a fire that killed a mother and her two children, investigators said.

Gemma Germeney, 31, died at the scene on Sackville Close in King's Hedges, Cambridge, on Friday.

Lilly Peden, eight, and four-year-old Oliver Peden died later in hospital.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze started accidentally and, following an investigation, it was thought the most probable cause was an electric bike that was charging.

A man in his 30s remains in a critical condition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66088503

advertisement

Back