advertisement

Auralic Aries Mini

Tim, as Misterdog says, through the Lightning app.
Even with streamers that have controls on the front panel and sometimes a remote too, it is much better to use the associated app designed for that streamer.

I can appreciate what you are saying, and did not mean any criticism of any contributor when I voiced my concern about the amount of direct experience reflected in this thread. Having no idea what Tidal or Qobuz are ...

Firstly Qobuz as a music streaming service is going into receivership - and Tidal as a streaming service is still standing.

When I play Spotify via my MDAC using AirPlay, the music is both slowed down and distorted. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I am getting gapless playback at the moment and I have to assume that the Aries Mini is still set to Open Home.

Thanks for posting this. I now have a Pioneer N-30 without Open Home functionality. Meaning it doesn't play gapless when using Bubbleupnp.
It does play gapless using the Pioneer app. But it's so very ugly and difficult. So on this the Aries Mini will be an improvement.

By the way the Pioneer does play Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify etc. Not native but with Bubbleupnp it does. Bubbleupnp handles the logins and acts as controlpoint.

So I'm thinking on buying a Aries Mini because I like to play gapless using Bubble upnp. But for me for this kind of money it should give an improvement on SQ too. That's why I'm in doubt. The N-30 is looking nice and has a small but use full display. It also has a transformer inside. So the power supply is potentially better than the Aries wall wart.

I had a Pioneer Np-01 for the shortest time, it really did suck. I think the Aries Mini will sound better even with the SMPS as standard. There are many cheap and not so cheap LPS alternatives if you wish to upgrade the power supply. I use the Auralic LPS with my Mini and am very happy with the sound.

If you need a display then clearly the Aries Mini is not for you......

It also has a transformer inside. So the power supply is potentially better than the Aries wall wart.

Some transformer power supplies are worse than SMPS .

Hypex N-core amplifiers use SMPS to great effect for example.

Having the Transformer contained within the unit can cause much EMI.

There is far more to a GOOD linear power supply than just a transformer.

Hoping to get a mini on demo early in the new year! Will see how it pans out.

Been using a Mac mini as my music source through usb, but the newest mini, combined with usb 3.0 chipset and apple having given up caring about driver stability means keeping it working consistently is a nightmare. It either drops the DAC, or decides to default the sample rate or just plain stops playing!

My old 2008 Mac mini running snow leopard was faultless!

So going to see if the auralic mini can serve as a stable intermediary!

You will be pleasantly surprised shrink. I had a Mac Mini going to an Arcam irDAC. Both have now been replaced by the Aries Mini fitted with an internal HDD. Sound quality is rather good. I do have the AURALiC LPS as well.

I hope I he new stock comes through for you.

Do you use the mini on its own, or do you still pump it out to a dac? I'd probably still quite like to use my async USB dac on the end of it, as it gives me a sound balance I like. I'm really just wanting to improve my "interface" with the music, and avoid all the pain I keep experiencing with this bloody Mac!

No external DAC. The internal DAC is rather good (helped with the addition of the LPS) and keeps things rather simple which I like.

The Lightning DS app is rather good assuming you have an iPhone/iPad. There are other options if you don't but it is the better path.

Who is supplying the Aries Mini?

Thanks for posting this. I now have a Pioneer N-30 without Open Home functionality. Meaning it doesn't play gapless when using Bubbleupnp.
It does play gapless using the Pioneer app. But it's so very ugly and difficult. So on this the Aries Mini will be an improvement.

By the way the Pioneer does play Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify etc. Not native but with Bubbleupnp it does. Bubbleupnp handles the logins and acts as controlpoint.

So I'm thinking on buying a Aries Mini because I like to play gapless using Bubble upnp. But for me for this kind of money it should give an improvement on SQ too. That's why I'm in doubt. The N-30 is looking nice and has a small but use full display. It also has a transformer inside. So the power supply is potentially better than the Aries wall wart.

Depends what's important - SQ or functionality? I've fitted a Chord 2qute to my Pioneer N50 and am very happy indeed. Fab sound. I might later install bubble server on my NAS which will then give openhome functionality too (and is free!). Too busy listening to music now to worry too much about the apps...

No external DAC. The internal DAC is rather good (helped with the addition of the LPS) and keeps things rather simple which I like.

The Lightning DS app is rather good assuming you have an iPhone/iPad. There are other options if you don't but it is the better path.

Who is supplying the Aries Mini?

Most likely Audio emotion

I use an iPad and iPhone to control my existing system so not too concerned about that. Need to see how well the Mac mini can serve as a Dlna server

So having borrowed an iPad for a short while I checked out how the Mini was set up. It indeed was as Open Home. I set up the wireless while I had the iPad and that seemed to work, but I put it back to wired for no real reason.

I have had no issues using the BubbleUPNP app to control the Mini with my NAS media server beyond a bit of lag that I don't find a problem. As mentioned earlier gapless play works fine.

I have also been trying out TIDAL through BubbleUPNP which uses your phone as a local media server and essentially means your phone streams the music to the Mini via the network. This does mean your phone battery will be drained while in use, but it doesn't seem too bad.

I assume the Lightning DS app's use of TIDAL doesn't stream via the iPad?

I put it back to wired for no real reason.

a bit of lag that I don't find a problem.

Auralic recommend using it wireless, they say 'noise' is transmitted through a wired connection.

I assume the slight delay (lag) is while the data is buffered in the internal memory, whatever the reason, it works.. :)

Yes I assumed that is the reason for the lag, it isn't a problem.

Actually I remembered why I put it back to the wired connection. I was worried there might be a problem with the wireless connection in the future and I wouldn't have access to an iPad to fix it. I too read they reckoned wireless was better, but didn't want to risk it.

Yes I assumed that is the reason for the lag, it isn't a problem.

Actually I remembered why I put it back to the wired connection. I was worried there might be a problem with the wireless connection in the future and I wouldn't have access to an iPad to fix it. I too read they reckoned wireless was better, but didn't want to risk it.

Question.....How good is the dac in the Aries Mini?....is it good enough to be used as the main dac in ones highend system...(I consider my system as highend, someone else may not ofcource).

Answer.....No.

The Aries Mini and the powersupply I use from Teddy Pardo is now fully run-in, so it was now time to test if the dac of Aries Mini was good enough so it could be used instead of my TeddyDac in the interest of reducing the number of boxes in my system.

Up until now everyting about the Mini has been better then my expectations....but using the Mini as a streamer+dac with a very good third party powersupply (that probably is better then the Liniar Powersupply from Auralic) was a disapointment at first. I got a headache after one hour of listening (I was tired)...swithing back to my TeddyDac the headache disapeard. Some of it could be because the dac section of the mini has not been used before so a bit of running-in is probably required. But the difference in soundquality is so huge that no running-in period will be able to decrease all of the difference. The sound was lacking the black bagground, there where alot less detail and seperation/air between instruments and the sound was much more stressfull to listen to.

Realistically this was to be expected because the Dac section in the Mini is ofcource not designed/optimised to be used as a highend dac considering its low cost and many features....I know I just state the obvious......considering the price of the mini and all the other features its a bargin and its probably good enoughf to be used as a streamer+dac in mediocore to low end hifi systems.

Using the Mini as a stand alone streamer with a good upgraded powersupply is on the other hand a highend streamer solution at a very competative low cost.

(I would like to read a comparison between the Mini and the much more expensive streamers from Aurender because they have had very good reviews and would probably be the direction I would look if I were ever to think about upgrading the Mini. I have my self had a Nad M50 streamer which at the time was NADs top of the line streamer, Naim ND5XS and Bluesound node, Apple Tv and PC. They where all not as good as the Mini+LPS+assynchron USB).

Audio Emotion are shipping a Mini to me tomorrow. Seems like they have got a limited factory delivery, but they may all be accounted for.

This is hush-hush, but Audio Emotion have 4 Minis unaccounted for as of 4.27 pm this afternoon.

advertisement

Back