advertisement

Auralic Aries Mini

Looks like Auralic is looking into MQA (I imagine this will be WAY before Naim implement it).

Cristian, will the Mini be able to handle this? Or will the Aries be required?

Thanks.

There's a big different between Auralic and Guru. These aren't totally overpriced under performing shit.

My music is currently in lossless AIFF format on a 160Gb iPod Classic. If i get the Aries Mini and fit an internal SSD of suitable size, is it possible to somehow import my iTunes library into the Aries Mini? I have the suspicion that this could be a nightmare and I will end up putting everything in to FLAC. Any thoughts?

The library is presumably on a PC or Mac, so yes, it is a fairly easy transfer. When the internal HDD is installed it is wiped and formatted by the Aries Mini. When the Mini is set up on your network it can then be seen by your PC (assuming it on the same network). You copy files to the Mini's HDD folder and the job is done. Or if the music is on an external HDD then you just connect the HDD to the USB on the back of the Mini and it transfers the files for you. Really easy.

If doing option 1 I suggest transferring in batches rather than all at once as errors occasionally occurred that stopped my transfer.

The library is presumably on a PC or Mac, so yes, it is a fairly easy transfer. When the internal HDD is installed it is wiped and formatted by the Aries Mini. When the Mini is set up on your network it can then be seen by your PC (assuming it on the same network). You copy files to the Mini's HDD folder and the job is done. Or if the music is on an external HDD then you just connect the HDD to the USB on the back of the Mini and it transfers the files for you. Really easy.

If doing option 1 I suggest transferring in batches rather than all at once as errors occasionally occurred that stopped my transfer.

Ok, but as the music is in the iTunes library on the PC then I don't know if I can either get to it or instruct iTunes to export it to the HDD. I suspect that some trial and error will be necessary.

Seriously it is easy. Locate the iTunes folder where the actual music files are located (I have a Mac but I'm sure someone can pipe up where you will find the actual folder where the music files are stored - Google should help) and copy them to the open Aries Mini HDD folder. That is it. The iTunes folder will be located under Music or something.

Ok, but as the music is in the iTunes library on the PC then I don't know if I can either get to it or instruct iTunes to export it to the HDD. I suspect that some trial and error will be necessary.

Your music by default is in Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\ ..

so you can just move it from there using explorer. I would suggest transferring a few cds first and checking that their tags are picked up usefully before transferring your whole library.

Your music by default is in Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\ ..

so you can just move it from there using explorer. I would suggest transferring a few cds first and checking that their tags are picked up usefully before transferring your whole library.

Thanks. I was planning to get a full size streamer, but the mini could be an option. Mind, perhaps a Pioneer N-50A would be a bit more versatile.

More versatile in what way? Cannot see it. SQ will not be as good either. But, hey, you pays your money, you make your choice.

Thanks. I was planning to get a full size streamer, but the mini could be an option. Mind, perhaps a Pioneer N-50A would be a bit more versatile.

Not sure that the Pioneer is more versatile. It is only DLNA, which means it won't play gaplessly for a start, whereas the Auralic unit uses Linn's OpenHome extensions allowing gapless playback. Nor is there the option of a built in disc drive, and I couldn't find any mention of Tidal or Qobuz compatibility, so what is it that makes you think it is more versatile? I don't have either unit btw.

Have you compared them side by side?

Tried a Pioneer NP01 for a while. Very poor interface and the sound quality was not up to my SBT. The unit was a hollow box (weighed nothing) and it didn't even sit on its 4 feet without rocking. Not impressed at all.

So no, not compared side by side. C/w SBT, SBT wins. SBT c/w Aries Mini, Mini wins. So.....

Doesn't look like it. New iPhone app is rather good however.

Could get a secondhand iPod Touch or iPad........

Is there Mac OS app as well for the Aires?

Its all 0's and 1's so it must work on all Apple products, and they must all sound the same....:)

well,so the mantra from a few years ago on pfm. stated.

Bollocks, the SQ. from the Aries mini is superb, but the control needs work.

I have owned one now for 2 weeks, the only way to initialize the unit is with an Ipad (possibly now Iphone). I'm an Android, so Bubble DS Next is a good App for control, or Auralics own Lightning App works to a degree though is very flaky and I believe is going to remain unsupported.

PS. Tony, please don't delete my account, I'm a real person not an Android and I very rarely wear a Mac.

Ah that's a shame. I bought one from the classifieds in the hope I could get it working, but I don't have any Apple products to initialise it with. I was waiting patiently like many other to hear feedback about SQ before buying it, but stopped paying attention when I heard the Android app had been dropped. But all the very positive feedback drew me back in.

So essentially I have no way of making it work at the moment! How frustrating.

advertisement

Back