advertisement

Audiophile snobbery...?

Every part of my main system was built in the UK, more by accident than design I'll admit, but I enjoy the knowledge that people in this country are feeding their families because people like me buy British.

My main system is all either UK (Linn, Wilson Benesch, Musical Fidelity & Cambridge Audio - although not sure if it's all made in the UK) or US/Canadian (Krell, Simaudio) but again purely by accident as it wasn't a factor in the purchase.

UK magazine reviews are less of a factor these days as well as I tend to do my research online, so will also be reading reviews from the US and elsewhere as well as from the UK.

UK magazine reviews are less of a factor these days..

Very true. I rely more on forum posts than actual reviews, which I don't trust no matter where they come from. What Hi-Fi reviews aren't worth the pixels they're illuminated with. At least with forum posts you're seeing the opinions of actual buyers who have not spent years learning how to bullshit people.

I’ve used their services department recently. I’d sold my Yammy 501 to a customer. A week later it had developed a relay fault. I emailed their services dept. They contacted the buyer, fixed it for free and returned it quickly. As good as any service I’ve received from any great service dept. B&W and Audioquest were just as good.
With services, it is as much about the approach as it is about the company.
When I posted the initial query it wasn’t referring to ‘slights’ by the way, just a strange muting of the reviews that promoted strengths. And this isn’t imagined.It’s plain to see. A kind of surprise that such a product may produce the quality it does.

Back in the mid to late seventies, I owned a Yamaha CA800 amp.

Me too. I went sideways to a CR800, then up to a CA1010. Lovely kit, as you say, to listen to, use and behold.

I dare say there is a degree of 'snobbery,' but in truth I think it's as much narrow-mindedness. Bring on the 'usual suspects.' Yawn.

One dealer of my acquaintance had me roaring with laughter when I discovered he'd asked his sales director "What's up with all the weird shit Miles buys?"

(In the last decade or so, said 'weird shit' would be from the likes of CEC, Metrum, Boenicke, Leben, 47Lab and Job Systems).

Apparently I'm a weirdo because I've never owned or aspired to own anything by Naim or B&W in the 49 years since I bought my first amp. Is that a kind of snobbery or is it just that I've never heard anything from either which has thrilled me to my wee cotton socks?

Last edited:
Very true. I rely more on forum posts than actual reviews, which I don't trust no matter where they come from. What Hi-Fi reviews aren't worth the pixels they're illuminated with. At least with forum posts you're seeing the opinions of actual buyers who have not spent years learning how to bullshit people.
I do the same and use customer reviews to buy cars etc. Generally more accurate. But I do occasionally read reviews in mags out of interest really. It is the angle of the reviewer that interests me.

Me too. I went sideways to a CR800, then up to a CA1000. Lovely kit, as you say, to listen to, use and behold.

I dare say there is a degree of 'snobbery,' but in truth I think it's as much narrow-mindedness. Bring on the 'usual suspects.' Yawn.

One dealer of my acquaintance had me roaring with laughter when I discovered he'd asked his sales director "What's up with all the weird shit Miles buys?"

Apparently I'm a weirdo because I've never owned or aspired to own anything by Naim or B&W in the 49 years since I bought my first amp. Is that a kind of snobbery or is it just that I've never heard anything from either which has thrilled me to my wee cotton socks?
Naim and B&W are decent kit. I’ve owned both. There’s so much good kit out there. For me it’s the value I get out of the kit I buy. When I found I got the same satisfaction from a product that was half the price of the previous kit I owned it was a revelation and my journey into value and second hand kit began.

As you may be aware from a few posts of mine, I am an admirer of the Yamaha sound and looks. Ever since feasting my eyes on the Yamaha CT 7000, I’ve had a fondness for this particular brand. As one contributor recently posted, it is a mass market brand. But does mass market mean reduction in quality or design?

I have no direct experience of current Yamaha hi-fi, but I’d expect it to be excellent beyond a certain price point as Yamaha kit always is. It certainly looks great. They are an astonishing company IMO, one if the most fascinating on the planet as they seem able to compete at the very top level whether you want a concert grand piano, a saxophone, motorbike, synthesiser, guitar or hi-fi. I’d love to know more about the brand and its history as it is just amazing that they can be so good across so many markets. As an example I have a proper USA Gibson Les Paul, a USA Fender Stratocaster, and by far my favourite guitar is a 1978 Yamaha SC1200!

My suspicion is that you have to get beyond a certain level with them to get to the good stuff, e.g. their budget guitars are all made in Malaysia, Taiwan etc, the top end of the range is always Japanese made. I assume it is the same with hi-fi.

I make no apologies for, nor feel any shame with, my vintage Pioneer amps, which I favour over all the European amps I've had - including TOTL olive Naim and Densen.

I have no direct experience of current Yamaha hi-fi, but I’d expect it to be excellent beyond a certain price point as Yamaha kit always is. It certainly looks great. They are an astonishing company IMO, one if the most fascinating on the planet as they seem able to compete at the very top level whether you want a concert grand piano, a saxophone, motorbike, synthesiser, guitar or hi-fi. I’d love to know more about the brand and its history as it is just amazing that they can be so good across so many markets. As an example I have a proper USA Gibson Les Paul, a USA Fender Stratocaster, and by far my favourite guitar is a 1978 Yamaha SC1200!

My suspicion is that you have to get beyond a certain level with them to get to the good stuff, e.g. their budget guitars are all made in Malaysia, Taiwan etc, the top end of the range is always Japanese made. I assume it is the same with hi-fi.
I think that is probably right.

I'm not sure. Certainly all the integrated amps up to and including the 3000 Series are Malaysian built. I don't know about the new separates (5000?).

I dare say this idea of 'Japanese built is best' is of no relevance to some, viewed as outdated in some quarters and perhaps even offensive to others.

Fair enough, but it's my money and it matters to me when prices tend to nudge toward the 'crikey!' level.

I have a Sony 5400 SACD player, which was at the top of their range when I bought it - made in Malaysia. Recently I considered a Pioneer A70-DA amp, which is pretty much the top of their range, and that wasn't made in Japan (can't remember where it was made).

In the US, the quality Yamahas, Sonys, Denons, Akais are often the desirable products - the likes of Naim, Linn, Rega etc uncoventional even quirky etc. I might be wrong but I always thought that the Japanese often made higher end models for the US market...

I dare say this idea of 'Japanese built is best' is of no relevance to some, viewed as outdated in some quarters and perhaps even offensive to others.

I know far more about their musical instruments than hi-fi (and nothing at all about motorbikes). With the guitars, both classical and electric, beyond a certain price point they are Japanese made, I assume by highly skilled traditional luthiers who have been with the company for a long while. These are top-end instruments the equal of anything coming out of America, Europe or wherever. The Japanese have always mass-produced but also greatly appreciate high-end bespoke craftsmanship so keep that going above a certain level. I guess electronics these days are a different thing as there is just so much automation and I guess it doesn’t technically matter if a board-stuffing or flow-soldering machine is located in Japan or not as long as the quality coming out is to the brand’s high standards. It is a different thing to luthier-built, traditional craftsmanship etc.

I think the problem goes back to the 80's , for whatever reason the good Yamaha ( and other Japanese products ) never made it to these shores so it was easy to bash their entry level products . But when a company as big as Yamaha decides to do something good they have all the technical resources and financial backing to deliver , think of NS1000's who else could have manufactured them and made them available to the masses .

I guess electronics these days are a different thing as there is just so much automation and I guess it doesn’t technically matter if a board-stuffing or flow-soldering machine is located in Japan or not as long as the quality coming out is to the brand’s high standards. It is a different thing to luthier-built, traditional craftsmanship etc.

In truth the great majority of Japanese products which I think are/were of the best in class and would spend my hard-earned on are very much built in the artisan fashion, eg. Kondo, Leben, etc.

I'm sure the thought of a Chinese-built Ongaku would have Kondo-san rotating in his grave at very high speed.

I’ve always thought that Hi-Fi shops are places men go to buy the person they wanted to be. The boxes are symbols, taken home and placed reverently on an altar. Rituals are performed and gifts brought.
I buy on-line as I find service and after sales just as good, if not better than many shops I've been to.

advertisement

Back