advertisement

Audiophile music

If you don’t know what fun is, when applied to hi-fidelity equipment and the reproduction of music, I would suggest that you should not bother trying to find an answer.
While not exactly defining “fun” I adapt the Marie Kondo method when choosing kit - KonMari (does it spark joy - make me smile). My sock drawer is also super organised and easy to keep it that way as I rarely wear them :). A good setup will let you hear the performers gelling and enjoying playing a piece together, subtle cues and all that, having “fun”.

Speaking of guitars and guitarists I have a 1984 1st LP press of Aerial Boundaries by Michael Hedges that sound great. Recorded live to 2-track digital master at Windham Hill Farm. Original master Bernie Grundman.

Amazing technique.

I'll second that!

While not exactly defining “fun” I adapt the Marie Kondo method when choosing kit - KonMari (does it spark joy - make me smile). My sock drawer is also super organised and easy to keep it that way as I rarely wear them :). A good setup will let you hear the performers gelling and enjoying playing a piece together, subtle cues and all that, having “fun”.

@Brian S there you go - someone offering you assistance

These are the albums I use to test my system after I have been moving it about or making changes, because they are well produced and I know them pretty well.

Blue Nile: Walk Across the Rooftops
Grace Jones: Nightclubbing
Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
Nick Drake: Pink Moon
John Martyn: Solid Air
Marvin Gay: What's Going On
Sade: Diamond Life

Speaking of guitars and guitarists I have a 1984 1st LP press of Aerial Boundaries by Michael Hedges that sound great. Recorded live to 2-track digital master at Windham Hill Farm. Original master Bernie Grundman.

Amazing technique.

Many years ago I picked this album up whilst having a beer at a small venue in London know as Dublin Castle ( no idea if the venue still exists).

It is a compilation album of many of the bands who played there at the time. Clearly a low budget recording referring to the album being recorded live on a 2 track 'valve' mobile.
Sonically it is a stunning recording IMO and clearly the music is being delivered by excellent musicians giving it their all. The album was recorded 40 years ago and when compared with many of the more modern albums, it begs the question 'where did it all go wrong'.

Whether this can be referenced as an audiophile recording, I know not, but it elevates the performance of my system to a serious level.

Last edited:
If you don’t know what fun is, when applied to hi-fidelity equipment and the reproduction of music, I would suggest that you should not bother trying to find an answer.

I think it was Dizzy Gillespie who said: If you gotta ask you'll never know. But he was talking about the music; I was happy with that. Nevertheless, I take your point.
The correct etiquette at a hi-fi show is to refuse to play anything other than The Fall.

PS I’m available for hire as a PR consultant to audio companies.
I would question some people’s choices.
They’re ‘normal’ everyday recordings of high quality.

The only ‘audiophile’ recording I own is Rebecca Pidgeon’s ‘ The New York Girls’ Club.’
It has superior sound quality to all my other CDs.
The clarity, soundstaging and imaging is just superb.

It claims ‘High Resolution Technology’ on the label.
I tend to agree...

I don't know your example, but years ago, before I had heard of high resolution etc., I had a Haydn quartet CD that was unambiguously superior to all the rest of my collection. I had no idea why this particular recording should be so much better than several dozen others. Audiophile quality. Notably, Bryston include a Rebecca Pidgeon track on their sample flash drive.

50 pence in a Salvation Army shop.
Excellent sound quality. I particularly like the Chick Corea version of Moments Notice.

PS: there's also a Phil Woods track on there, Caravan. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Snobbism is not about your own tastes (in music) - It's about how you feel about others' taste (in music).

Whether "popular" or "eclectic" the snobbery can go both ways.

This definition is pretty self-serving. I.e. it lets you freely, and frequently, spout your opinions/tastes, while at the same time shielding you from any criticism.

When it comes to something as subjective as taste in music I don't see why you would want to criticize someone else for liking something that you don't? Taste is obviously a personal thing.

I mean, I can say that I personally find certain genres or artists boring or without talent but why point the finger at someone else if they truly enjoy that which I do not? I may not have been clear enough but that was what I was alluding to.

If someone else really likes something that I personally "hate" that doesn't get my emotions boiling because so what? Doesn't take anything away from me - it's a free world.

When it comes to something as subjective as taste in music I don't see why you would want to criticize someone else for liking something that you don't? Taste is obviously a personal thing.
Can you cite an example of this in this thread. I haven't noticed one. And while you're at it, can you also cite an example of snobbery.

When i'm reviewing gear, this UHQCD is one of my references

No idea what that is, but I can tell it’s that audiophile kind of thing I run a mile from.

Anne Bisson is a new name for me. Clearly a very good musician and a fine pianist.

Her vocal delivery isn't really my taste, a bit plaintive and kind of victim-y if you know what I mean.

There are a lot of fine female singer-pianists though, like Sara Bareilles, Carol Welsman, Kandace Springs...

You've obviously got no idea what Anne has gone through in her personal life which formed the backstory to her writing that album. "A bit plaintive and kind of victim-y"? Atleast she's not a demanding Diva like Lyn Stanley who I had the displeasure of inviting to dinner with friends back in 2019 🤦‍♂️

No, I have no idea what Anne has gone through in her personal life. Sorry to step on your toes here.

But don't all singers have personal lives? Billie Holiday had an appalling life and her vocals were always strong and powerful.

Just listened to a couple of Anne Bisson tracks from that album above.

Nah, If I heard that on the radio I’d actively get up and change over, but cool that you like it.

Can you cite an example of this in this thread. I haven't noticed one. And while you're at it, can you also cite an example of snobbery.

Where did I mention someone specifically being a snob in this thread? All I know is that you asked for a definition of snobbery in music and I wrote a reply with my take on what I think it means? Why do you feel like I owe you examples?

Funny, I thought this thread was an invitation to post our audiohpile music of choice for evaluation purposes...not "But can pfm members post whats their audiophile music of choice so we can crap on their choice of music"

I said it’s not for me but it’s cool that you like it - we are all of differing ages and ears.

I know my musical preferences would have the majority of “audiophiles” running from the room but I’m not an audiophile, I couldn’t care less if it’s mp3/aac/wav/flac etc as I’m perfectly happy listening to a tinny Bluetooth speaker if I enjoy the music

I’ve had this track/album from Brian Eno/Karl Hyde - High Life on repeat most of the day, I don't get annoyed when folk say my taste in music is not for them.

advertisement

Back