advertisement

Audiophile music

I had Jlin’s Dark Energy on earlier, and thought of this thread. Sounds nice…

I‘ve never really read The Wire (you know, an actual music magazine), but I think it’s their kind of thing.
I couldn't get my head round that record at all when I first heard it - I guess was my first exposure to footwork - really like it now. Weird to think it's almost a decade old.

You're right, loads of electronic music sounds amazing from a sound quality perspective but never gets mentioned on these sorts of threads.

I couldn't get my head round that record at all when I first heard it - I guess was my first exposure to footwork - really like it now. Weird to think it's almost a decade old.

You're right, loads of electronic music sounds amazing from a sound quality perspective but never gets mentioned on these sorts of threads.
I’d heard quite a bit of footwork before that album, though not bought much other than Teklife’s finest, such as DJ Rashad’s Double Cup, and some Spinn and Taso, and Manny. Double Cup still sounds different, in a good way.

I nearly posted the Jlin in that recent channel separation thread, but thought better of it. Probably not something I’d want to hear on headphones, as it’s (literally) all over the place.

Yes, absolutely. I'm a huge fan of electronic music. I don't use it as test tracks because I'm very familiar with acoustic instruments and so I want to use those as references for checking details in equipment.

But electronic music in general - listen to it all the time. I love Garage for a start, but I also listen a lot to Weather Report, Jan Hammer and those guys.

I guess you don't get it much at Shows because it's usually the tear jerking vocals that pull punters in.

Well Professor, why don't you report my post to the mods. Maybe then they'll ban me and you wont have to listen to my "daft" comments anymore?

You are strange. Why ever would I report your posts ?...the mods would laugh at me.

Well Professor, why don't you report my post to the mods. Maybe then they'll ban me and you wont have to listen to my "daft" comments anymore?

Don't be silly, no one is reporting anyone but you have to admit it was a rather daft comment to make.

You like what you like and that's great, a GF I had back in 2007 didn't "get" music at all and only had 3cd's in her collection, all freebies from a Sunday paper so it takes all sorts and she was utterly perplexed that I would make time to sit down and "merely" listen to music, it was an entirely alien concept to her that folk "actively" listened rather than it be background noise

Don't sweat it, its just a forum

... a GF I had back in 2007 didn't "get" music at all and only had 3cd's in her collection, all freebies from a Sunday paper so it takes all sorts and she was utterly perplexed that I would make time to sit down and "merely" listen to music, it was an entirely alien concept to her that folk "actively" listened rather than it be background noise

Do you still have her phone number by any chance? She sounds great.

Where did I mention someone specifically being a snob in this thread? All I know is that you asked for a definition of snobbery in music and I wrote a reply with my take on what I think it means? Why do you feel like I owe you examples?

My question was in response to:
Threads like this continuously draw out the worst of the audio and music snobs...it's both hilarious and disheartening.

You seemed to answer my question on behalf of Waxxy, so I interpreted that as agreeing with his statement. Waxxy subsequently agreement with your definition completed the circle.

That is without a doubt the daftest comment I've seen posted on here in very long time and as this is Pinkfish and we are all batty that is one high bar to reach.
Congratulations sir.
Give him some credit, he’s spent a lot of money & wants everyone to know;)

"The album which defined the loudness wars" makes me think Mike was thinking of Californication which got a lot of flack for that very thing when it was released. Both produced by Rick Rubin but from Caklifornication onward Rubin's output was generally plagued by heavy-handed compression.

Another album of note renowned for this was Death Magnetic by Metallica (DR3 on CD).

Oasis in the mid 90's where among the first popular artists to do this.

Foo Fighters albums were also remarkably undynamic.

I had Jlin’s Dark Energy on earlier, and thought of this thread. Sounds nice…

I‘ve never really read The Wire (you know, an actual music magazine), but I think it’s their kind of thing.

So jittery & unsettling. Surely you'd have to be a type of person to enjoy it? ;)

Some EDM has terrific mixing, reverbs, spatial effects, sub bass, pings and pops and all that. Been out the loop of it for a while but here's a couple that have some quality production and pretty good tunes, if you're into that sort of thing:

Might get an EDM music thread going, could do with some fresh inspiration here.

I don't use "audiophile" music to demo systems but while browsing a pile of long unused CD's today I noticed one call the Linn Collection 1998 which appears to have been a freebie with Hi-Fi News at the time. I suspect it's supposed to be the sort of music they'd expected you to use to demo a system. It all seems well mastered and some of it (especially the classical stuff) is very good, but some is the sort of thing I expect you'd hear in a hi-fi show demo (not that I've ever been to one!).

Back in the day, when I lived in Hong Kong (and I did ship my system out) there was an excellent CD shop near where I used to catch the ferry home. The sold quite a bit of audiophile CD's and I do recall buying a few - I'll need to see if I can find them and see if they are actually any good.

advertisement

Back