advertisement

Audiophile music

I gave up on shows long ago but recall listening ad nauseam to "Brothers in Arms", "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and the ubiquitous trio of Barbie, Krell and Bubbles.

Never been nor wanted to go to a hifi show so I’m not familiar with the choice of music used to showcase equipment.

I‘ve no idea as to what music I own/listen to that would be considered “audiophile”, I doubt my fav techno tunes such as ”Slam - Positive Education“ or “Plastikman - Spastik” would endear me to others if I rocked up and played it.
Same. Raime’s Tooth, posted upthread by @uncl_nigel after hearing it at the Munich show, isn’t something I’d expect though, so who knows?

On here today, I might play my twelve of Jessy Lanza’s You Never Show Your Love. These days, JL usually hides how well she can sing, but not on this early slow jam for Hyperdub...

#melophile

I listen to music I enjoy not music that is given a dubious label of little to no merit from my perspective.

I don’t think there’s any such thing as “Audiophile”music. Certainly not in the artist’s intention, anyway. They’re just trying to make something good that they make a living from. Record labels may attach that tag but otherwise it’s us that give it those labels.

"Shazams" from this year's Munich show, so someone selling high end kit thinks they're good demo material and I happened to like the music.

Malia and Boris Blank - Convergence
Yello - Point
Raime - Tooth
Chromatics - Sound of Silence
Charlotte Cardin - Phoenix (available on Bandcamp)
Good stuff

On here today, I might play my twelve of Jessy Lanza’s You Never Show Your Love. These days, JL usually hides how well she can sing, but not on this early slow jam for Hyperdub...

A new name to me, so I listened to all the tracks off Love Hallucination. Where has this girl been all my life? I love it!

Harry Pearson for The Absolute Sound, his annual Super LP List (aka SuperDisc List)

2023-TAS-Super-LP-List.png

"Audiophile Music" seems like a strange notion.

But what is a picture without detail and perspective?

Flat and boring basically.

Same with music.

Which is why non audiophiles listen to Abba and Slade.

OK I'm being elitist but you gotta love 'em.

Good call. The name is unfamiliar to me but listening now and it a very realistic recording and nice music.
If you're not familiar the Three Blind Mice label is very well regarded for it's recordings - sometimes referred to as the 'Japanese Blue Note'.

It's a shame they can be a little tricky to come by outside Japan.

I am strangely reassured by your list that audiophile music is nothing to aspire to at all. Roughly 10 shockingly bad albums in there that I could never listen to again if they were the finest quality recordings known to mankind but the inclusion of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers album is especially bewildering.

The album which defined the loudness wars. It has a massively reduced dynamic range; has been normalised to within an inch of its life and audibly distorts in a very bad way on multiple occasions across multiple tracks. I look forward to your detailed explanation as to its audiophile qualities.

Completely correct on the horrendousness of the RHCP album, but both Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and RATM's self titled (first vinyl pressing) are two of the finest examples of audiophile music... well along with Dire Straits and Michael Jackson...

Then again it is important to remember that it is of upmost importance you select the correct (best) master for each album, and not just any you'd find on tidal. But there is no saving for RHCP.

"Audiophile Music" seems like a strange notion.

But what is a picture without detail and perspective?

Flat and boring basically.

Same with music.

Which is why non audiophiles listen to Abba and Slade.

OK I'm being elitist but you gotta love 'em.

I'm assuming you meant Sade, in which case she actually does have some really good sounding albums. Audiophile quality.
Unsure about Abba, I don't really know anyone that listens to it...

Which is why non audiophiles listen to Abba

Have you listened to many Abba albums?
there is at least a couple of albums that are aural gold in terms of sound quality and musical groove.

I thought everyone knew that.

Their last album The Visitors is actually great and pretty far removed from the Eurovision Song Contest disco of some of their earlier work (which I also enjoy very much).

there is at least a couple of albums that are aural gold in terms of sound quality and musical groove.

I haven’t heard an ABBA album since I was about nine, but…

…even I know Benny’s best ARP Odyssey licks are next level.

Their last album The Visitors is actually great and pretty far removed from the Eurovision Song Contest disco of some of their earlier work (which I also enjoy very much).

Also some trivia, if I remember correctly, The Visitors was one of the very first CD's ever created, in October 1 1982, exclusive for Japan only. The source was a flat transfer from master tape, same source as the vinyl, so the sound is immaculate. Those first CD's were incredible for sound.

I don't doubt it.

But I've never seen an Abba Greatest Hits LP in a hifi shop or on a high end rig.

It's music that is not about microdynamics or soundstage; designed more for parties or workplace or such like.

Nothing wrong with that.

advertisement

Back