advertisement

Audiolab M-dac issue

Mellberg

Hi,

I have a problem with my M-dac that I need help with.
My issue with the M-dac is this:
I have a Samsung tv from which I use the digital audio output (Optical) to my M-dac via a Toslink. I then have the M-dac connected to an amplifier connected to my speakers. When I watch the digital tv-channels (and only then) there is an intermittent sound drop-out. This sound drop-out occurs not all the time but during a watching session there is always some drop-outs. I have changed the Toslink-cable and it did not help. The problem only occurs when watching the digital tv-channels. When I watch the analog channels or when I watch through a Mac mini (and use the digital output on my tv) there is no problem with sound drop-outs.
I have also tried my old DAC (Cambridge Dacmagic) and when I use that there is no sound drop-outs, even when watching the digital tv-channels!
Samsung is sending a mechanic to look at the tv but I suspect, since there is no problem with a different DAC, that this is something my M-dac creates.
Just to be clear, otherwise there is nothing wrong with it and the M-dac works perfectly so maybe this has something to do with software?

Is it the M-dac or the TV that's causing this?
Thanks

This has been covered before in the first listen thread. I would PM john westlake (JohnW) for an explanation rather than trawl through the thread.

And then when you do find the answer please can you post it back on this thread as I plan to also connect my Samsung TV to the MDAC when I move! :(

Regards,
James

Apparently there is a firmware update that will solve this issue. I have sent a PM to JohnW (Westlake who designed the M-dac) but haven't got an answer yet. I suggest you do the same. As I understand he will send the update to you so there is no point in me telling you what to do.

Hi, ([snip]
Is it the M-dac or the TV that's causing this?
Thanks

Unfortunately the Mdac doesn't tolerate being fed from a source with a wildly varying output - my Samsung Blu-ray for a start.
The output frequency from the Samsung fluctuates and the Mdac has difficultly obtaining a 'lock'.

Dominik's Beta update was to test the OPT1 and 2 with slightly different DPLL settings.
OPT2 (with High DPLL) works fine using this firmware upgrade, but the full blown version is imminent.
The awaited firmware should have selectable DPLL on all SPDIF inputs as per the CDQ (along with a raft of other useful 'tweeks' and bug fixes).

Check out post #355 here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114068&page=24

This Beta firmware should sort your issues for now.

Regards
Dave.

Great! The firmware in that post is the latest then? Do you know when the real version is coming?("full blown version is imminent")

No, the one in the link is a Beta version and should address the drop-outs you are getting if you use OPT2 (which will have a fixed High DPLL).

The official (and a Lakewest) version will be out as soon as Dominik has licked a problem with the updater software being able to flash the front panel processor reliably.

Understandably, Dominik and John will not release the firmware until it can be shown to be reliable - they'd be asking for trouble otherwise.

Great! The firmware in that post is the latest then? Do you know when the real version is coming?("full blown version is imminent")

Hi Mellberg,

I could not have said it better - Wilky's spot on...

Dominik's working in the software - as Wilky's said we have been having problems with insuring the stability of the actual update process (download from the PC).

As it turns out, its an issue with the MAC OS - it appears stable on Windows platforms (Note I said stable - "MS" and "stable" don't normally go together).

We believe we understand whats going on with the MAC platform - so now we can concentrate on actually working on the new software revision.

Thank's for everyone's feedback - we will (Hopefully) work though the issues.

The locking issue is understood - the earlier Patch will get you going, we will release a full featured patch ASAP (within a week) - but I've been saying this since December...

Working on it... Pls. bare with us,

John

Hi Mellberg,As it turns out, its an issue with the MAC OS - it appears stable on Windows platforms (Note I said stable - "MS" and "stable" don't normally go together).

We believe we understand whats going on with the MAC platform - so now we can concentrate on actually working on the new software revision.

John

Bugger the MAC users just release the PC version

only joking :D

As it turns out, its an issue with the MAC OS - it appears stable on Windows platforms (Note I said stable - "MS" and "stable" don't normally go together).
John[/QUOTE]

Especially when it's a leap year LOL. :p

So I updated the firmware the day I bought my AudioLab M-Dac to Va.08 and since then I had been having problems. Especially with the sound quality and background hissing on certain tracks. Well I am a Mac user and in order to go to factory settings I had to put windows 7 on my Mac go to the Audiolab support website and download the M-dac software. Since then I have have noticed a huge improvement in sound quality and the hissing is gone. I am posting this for people who are having issues after the update. I dont really post stuff on threads like these but in this case I felt I had to say something because the improvement was so noticeable IMHO.

I found the m-dac is having the same issue with samsung ue46f8005 with this update. Is there going to be a fix for that?

I found the m-dac is having the same issue with samsung ue46f8005 with this update. Is there going to be a fix for that?

I have the 55F8000, hooked up a brand new M-DAC on Friday and got dropouts :(

downloaded latest beta firmware and changed the jitter rejection from auto to wide bandwidth on the optical input

drop outs no more

Great Stephen! How do you change the jitter rejection from auto to wide bandwidth on the optical input?

Great Stephen! How do you change the jitter rejection from auto to wide bandwidth on the optical input?

1. On your MDAC, select the input your Samsung ue46f8005 is connected

2. Press Menu on the MDAC.

3. Turn the MDAC knob until you come to the "Jitter Rejection" option

4. Select "High Bandwidth" mode

5. Exit the menu

advertisement

Back