advertisement

Whereas the person who thinks this clearly has never met anyone who has such a system.

It always strikes me as odd that people talking about confirmation bias only seem to think it works one way.
Mm, very few people will ever have met such a person so the sample size would be tiny. The cost of the system does not necessarily reflect its performance. I’ve done the naim ladder, it was fun, was each level worth it? I must have thought so at the time, but since doing a total reset, I just don’t think there is a direct link between sound & £.

You may well do a similar thing with Audio Note only to find better performance for less money elsewhere. Therefore, I don’t believe having a costly system gives you any special powers of discernment.

ji6qi2p.gif

And the reviewer who made the comment has one of the most massive speaker systems on the planet. Fred's Acapella Triolons

triolon.jpg

Each speaker has six 10' woofers. So pretty nice comment of a single 8 inch woofer from a guy with these speakers. Acapella will play at far higher levels - it's the only speaker maker so far where I would consider trading my speakers - but at over $350,000 for the Triolons that isn't happening unless my numbers hit. :)

I was at the same CES and it was the best sound there and quite powerful playing all those trance and metal albums. Another speaker that hit hard were near corner placed Trenner and Freidl RA speakers. Those could make your eyes wobble in your head.

If you think Fred is over-the-top the most over-the-top review was from the measurements guru Wes Philips of Stereophile. For a guy who bought great measuring gear and at the time owned Dynaudio Contour speakers and some massive SS beastie to drive them I was quite surprised by his take. I expect from the Art Dudley types.

Wes attended the show the previous year. Kudos to him for at least trying a SET amplifier and their goofball measuring DACs.

https://www.stereophile.com/ces2009/ongaku_means_ecstasy/index.html

Mm, very few people will ever have met such a person so the sample size would be tiny. The cost of the system does not necessarily reflect its performance. I’ve done the naim ladder, it was fun, was each level worth it? I must have thought so at the time, but since doing a total reset, I just don’t think there is a direct link between sound & £.

You may well do a similar thing with Audio Note only to find better performance for less money elsewhere. Therefore, I don’t believe having a costly system gives you any special powers of discernment.

This is a good point that just because something is great at one price point doesn't mean it is at every price point. A Honda Civic might be best in class but it doesn't mean the Accord or CRV is the best in their classes.

Audio though is a little different because of the "house sound." If I look at the Magenpan 1.7 for around $2,000 I think it is good value - I am not a Magnepan or panel fan BUT most of the boxed speakers at $2,000 do not offer a lot to me either - A cheap floorstander often sounds cheap and the stand mounts typically don't have any more bass than a 1.7. So the 1.7 offers a lot for a little. I can't say that about the 20.1 which was $15,000 - The better boxed speakers no longer sound cheap - they have more bass, dynamics, ease of drive treble etc.

So I find them to offer much less value - on the other hand, no boxed speaker sounds like a Magnpen. So if one LOVES the Magnepan sound then a $15k or $20k version to maximize that house sound to them is a good deal - they are buying the penultimate of the Magnepan "sound"

You could say the same for a Vanderteen 7 over a 2ce.

In other words - comparing "withing" a company house sound a fan will be able to hear the improvements as you move up the line. Usually, as you move up the line you get another woofer, a bigger cabinet or a bigger woofer. With some tube or SS amps you are getting better internal parts, more power(ss typically) and maybe a better chassis.

The HK dealer noted that one of the problems they have with Audio Note is that they usually all look the same - customers like to SEE the improvement not be told that the internal wire is thicker silver or the drive uses better and bigger magnets - they can't see it.

This is harder as you mentioned NAIM - I am not as up on NAIM but Bryston's head engineer noted that a 3Bm 4B, and 8B, all should sound exactly the same - as you moved up the line you got more power. A very power-hungry speaker would show you the differences because the 3B may not be able to power the speakers properly. For any easy-to-drive speaker you should not hear any difference - thus spending more wouldn't get you more. SS makers IME usually just increase the power as you move up their line - tube makers interestingly often go the other way. If a tube maker makes Push-Pull and SET - the SET amps tend to be their top-of-the-line most expensive amplifiers and offer much less power. Tube amps also tend to have more variance so there is less of a house sound progression. A SORO is similar in price to the OTO but if you listen to them both back to back you're kind of surprised how different they sound even though most of the internal parts are similar. The SORO is around 20% more expensive but most people prefer the sound of the OTO. The Soro is more linear and more neutral but the OTO is darker and arguably more veiled as tube stereotypes go. But if you heard them you would not really think they were from the same company if you didn't read the logo.

When they sound that good you live with whatever they look like.
Only a nouveau-riche billionaire with a large and out of sight listening room and zero style sense would be a customer for these truly ugly beasts.

A sisgender man with lots of money and... something envy.

Only a billionaire with a large and out of sight listening room and zero style concerns would be a customer for these truly ugly beasts.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A lot of people buy with their eyes - probably why the divorce rate is 50%.

The best sound at the last California Audio Shows was Acapella -

DSC02590.jpg

Eesh and they're white. But hey you can always close your eyes.

Thank you, you're so kind.

And when you attended CES 2009 or 2010 and auditioned the AN E at the Flamingo Hotel - what music did you play?

When you auditioned the Acapella Triolon (or other Acapella speakers), what did you play?

Please list the 5 best loudspeakers(with equipment if possible). I am always willing to try new stuff that will excite my passion for audio reproduction.

Acapella’s are fantastic speakers. Frankly who gives a toss what they look like. A speakers job is to make music.

Indeed, although they can be made to look stylish. If you have a large, or very large room you will need large speakers...

omega-2-composing.jpg

Omega-1.jpg

The Cessaro Omega system above weighs 5 tons. It is fitted in a listening room the size of a basketball court.

Audio Note DAC 4.1X Signature user here with CDT 4 transport and very happy with it so not even thinking of the higher models etc. I think there is a personal level of enjoyment and musical presentation that is different for different people and after that there seems to be no point in hankering after the next fix of Hi Fi and this combination of DAC/transport within the context of other Audio Note components etc is it for me.

I am just happy buying more CD's, vinyl albums etc and enjoying them even if the family members often remark: "more deliveries for you.....looks like more XXXXXXX records and CD's and when are you going to stop buying them?" My answer is usually "NEVER". So I am happy with the Audio Note DAC and transport, I have other CD players like the Linn Ikemi and many more as a basic reference to compare even though they are less costly.

Indeed, although they can be made to look stylish. If you have a large, or very large room you will need large speakers...

omega-2-composing.jpg

Omega-1.jpg

The Cessaro Omega system above weighs 5 tons. It is fitted in a listening room the size of a basketball court.
I quite like the top ones but you would need a massive room, they could be considered stylish in the right context but probably completely irrelevant for the vast majority of us.

I quite like the top ones but you would need a massive room, they could be considered stylish in the right context but probably completely irrelevant for the vast majority of us.
I didn't know such things were real, I thought it was a cartoon.

advertisement

Back