advertisement

Most people are not buying Audio Note as their first audio purchase. Virtually 100% of Audio Note buyers owned, previously, a SS amplifier, an Over or upsampling CD player that measures much better, and speakers that likely measured better.

Audio Note is a trifecta of bad measurements - SET amplifiers measure worse than class D, SS, Push Pull tubes and worse than $400 surround sound receiver. You then add the worst measuring CD players ON TOP of those amplifiers. Then you run that into an AN E speakers which is "middling" especially in terms of what Stereophile deems to be the best measuring speakers for 1/4 the price.

Then you put all that bad measuring stuff together as my dealer did on Vancouver Island - I would listen to the top of the line Bryston Separates or Anthem or Classe or Rotel on Dynaudio /B&W or the NRC approved Paradigm loudspeakers that follow to the letter the Floyd E Toole approach to speaker design. Unlistenable dredge compared to the Audio Note system.

As an all measurements and science first guy, stuff like Audio Note and Cary and Shindo is all laughably absurd silliness from old Luddites and conmen trying to sell pretty shiny tube glow to the unsuspecting.

Then one day I walked into the dealer ready to buy some awesome measuring Bryston Separates around a 3BST power amp and preamp. I sat in a chair and was listening to some of the most amazing audio I had ever heard - besting everything I auditioned the decade prior. I looked over and saw this massive silver box as the integrated amplifier - the pristine clarity and deep but tuneful bass - the tuneful bass is what the Paradigms et all lacked. But it was the clarity - the treble that was supremely clear but without the hash/noise of the tweeter on top B&Ws that give you a headache after a while.

So after the session, I asked the dealer about the amplifier. I say to him "How many watts does the massive box put out. He says "8". I rely Wow 800 watts per channel is a beast." He says "no, 8, 8 watts." Moments last a lady walked by looked left and right "I thought there was a piano piano"

I have to tell you that after 10 years of reading measurement plots and graphs that day was an ear-opener. It's especially frustrating for an Atheist who was into measurements as gospel to have what amounts to have a religious conversion to stuff that measures so SO SOOOOOOOOOO bad!

So then I tried to look at what the maker was saying about the time domain and perhaps that is where the advantage lay - whether the poor measurements were landing in the audio spectrum where and how bad. Was the noise of the dac being suppressed by the transformers - the transformer acts as a filter and again if connected to their preamp which are also transformer based.

It was unclear as to how even the Audio Note OTO Phono SE (10 watts per channel 4.2 watts undistorted) could be sounding so much clearer than Bryston separates. I kept having to put the volume up and up on the Bryston to make things out as well and to get a more full-bodied sound. Being Canadian I knew Bryston well - it came with a 20-year warranty and was 120 watts per channel (often measuring 160 watts per channel - they measure each one and put a card in the box showing how your amp actually did). Was I really going to pass that up for some no-name, AN was a no name back then, with only 10 watts and no preouts or preins and didn't even show the tubes to make it look cool, and with only a 2-year warranty? Umm, I keep listening went back many times - made sure the connections were correct and they were not putting the Bryston out of phase. Surely it could not sound THAT BAD vs this dopey 10-watt tube amp. Had to keep going back because I know all about the "2nd harmonics will seduce you but only for a short time" arguments and the "People like distortion" - but I kept thinking "If distortion is the problem why can I hear the singer clearer" Why can I play this system at a lower volume 60dB to 70dB and not feel the need to play at 80-90dB of the Bryston to get all the information? And never getting it. Where was the warble in the vocals, where was the loud hiss, where was something I could say - "see that right there at the 3minute and 8-second mark - that is where the OTO is showing huge distortion and the Bryston is better." Months going back and trying and trying disc after disc large scale, small scale rock, jazz pop, classical, opera, hard rock.

Noise Floor - Bryston was well known for being one of the lowest noise floor amps in the audio industry - probably still are. So this is the win - walking close up to the speaker there was slightly more noise from the OTO - that could explain the sensation one gets that there is more ambiance generated from the amplifier and not actually on the recording. But you could not hear that noise from the seating positon and it didn't increase with the volume level. In ten end I bought the OTO (19 years later I still have it). The problem is my brain tells me the Bryston is a vastly superior measuring machine - and it is I suppose at least as far as my knowledge of this stuff goes. I can't see arguing the fact. But at the same time, I also can't just ignore my hands-on experience of listening either. Eventually, I decided that there is plain toast. Plain toast is accurate and unadulterated and "neutral" - but I can't eat plain toast. I need peanut butter and jam, or butter and cinnamon, or cheese, or butter and sardines, or make it into French toast with Canadian pure maple syrup. Listening to the Bryston is like eating plain toast - dry and unexciting. The OTO makes it taste better.

What I also found interesting was Steve Hoffman - here is a man that has recorded and mastered some of the biggest acts in the world from Pink Floyd to Miles Davis, John Coltrane to Linda Rondstadt to the Eagles - and he has done much of this on SACD. He worked in the studio for decades with the Brystons and ATC speakers of the world - the best measuring pro gear.

Then you see his system list - Audio Note DAC 4.1x with a CDT 3 transport! Two pairs of AN E speakers (one at home and one in the mastering studio) an Audio Note Preamp 9 Phono and Ongaku power amp.

So here is a guy using all the best measuring equipment and says - yes but for actually listening and enjoying all this music - I'm buying a SET amplifier with an ungodly bad measuring CD player system into worse than ATC measuring speakers.

UHF MAgazine measured an old CD player and were shocked how bad it measured - UHF was one of the few magazines that doled out bad reviews - they had a panel of three or more reviewers sit and listen. One is an engineer who has written books on audio. They listened and did the measurements and said that it simply sounded better than their reference CD player (a much more expensive CD player). What can you do? Stereophile's Art Dudley noted that the bad measuring CD 4.1x, that JA took apart, was the best CD player he has ever heard. They still put it in their Class A section for digital and that is in spite of the fact that as Peter Qvortrup put it "measures like a bag of nails"

It's not like AN can't go out and buy ESS Sabre chips and make a great measuring DAC - they have the best measuring equipment that can be bought - they have machines that make their own circuit boards in house. They choose to do what they do because it sounds better.

They'll never convince anyone with the specs or measurements - they can't. They have to get you to try it. And try it unbiased like my pseudo blind audition where I thought I was listening to a massive SS system.

Here is reviewer Peter Breuninger discussing NOS with PQ. PQ is not an engineer though - he hires engineers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bryston is like eating plain toast - dry and unexciting. The OTO makes it taste better

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After a long time, I found that a neutral (and well measuring system) allows me to enjoy more music overall.

His comments show that his understanding is mediocre. (I am referring to DACs, and horns)

Your comment of my understanding is bang out of order!!! I am not sure why you feel the need to shoot the messenger. I have only highlighted what others have said on how NOS affects the sound, which is a perfectly valid way of doing digital reproduction and many manufacturers use the NOS approach. NOS isn't new. NOS DAC's have been around for decades. I haven't personally commented on this thread if NOS it right or wrong which you seem to assume I have. It might not be right to you because it doesn't measure as well as OS, but it doesn't make it any less valid if people prefer the sound of NOS over OS as the end result.

Last edited:
I got a tad uneasy with your last comment on how NOS DACs work, have you qualifications in the digital field or self taught?

NOS DAC's have been around for decades. It is not a new technology and their effect on the audio performance has been described many times on here as well as in magazines and other technical articles. I have only highlighted a couple of things as to why some manufacturers (and their customers) prefer the way NOS DACs sound to conventional OS DACs. I have not said which is right or wrong as both are valid implementations.

I am not sure what that has to do with my qualifications but I worked in the communications industry (GPO and latterly British Telecom) for 33 years. I have a full technical certificate in Telecommunication which covered both audio and digital. I have an HND in Computing and many internal BT qualifications. I was personally involved with the introduction of digital telephone exchanges across the UK, both as an engineer and as a technical manager overseeing exchange development and testing at GEC and Plessey's development sites. My qualifications are listed in my Bio on this forum and have been for a number of years.

Actually, that is a good point. Maybe those who make defamatory comments about others (Tuga) should also list their technical qualifications on their Bio's so we all know what experience and expertise they have to pass comment about others...

Update: I forgot to mention that I employ a digital engineer who has been working for me for the last 12 years and his expertise is in digital guidance systems for military ordnance, as in guided missiles and worked for Marconi Space and Defence. So between us we have a very broad spectrum of both analogue and digital knowledge.

Last edited:
NOS DAC's have been around for decades. It is not a new technology and their effect on the audio performance has been described many times on here as well as in magazines and other technical articles. I have only highlighted a couple of things as to why some manufacturers (and their customers) prefer the way NOS DACs sound to conventional OS DACs. I have not said which is right or wrong as both are valid implementations.

I am not sure what that has to do with my qualifications but I worked in the communications industry (GPO and latterly British Telecom) for 33 years. I have a full technical certificate in Telecommunication which covered both audio and digital. I have an HND in Computing and many internal BT qualifications. I was personally involved with the introduction of digital telephone exchanges across the UK, both as an engineer and as a technical manager overseeing exchange development and testing at GEC and Plessey's development sites. My qualifications are listed in my Bio on this forum and have been for a number of years.

Actually, that is a good point. Maybe those who make defamatory comments about others (Tuga) should also list their technical qualifications on their Bio's so we all know what experience and expertise they have to pass comment about others...

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Graham.

Reactions: GT
Your comment of my understanding is bang out of order!!! I am not sure why you feel the need to shoot the messenger. I have only highlighted what others have said on how NOS effects the sound, which is a perfectly valid way of doing digital reproduction and many manufacturers use the NOS approach. NOS isn't new. NOS DAC's have been around for decades. I haven't personally commented on this thread if NOS it right or wrong which you seems to assume I have. It might not be right to you because it doesn't measure as well as OS, but it doesn't make it any less valid if people prefer the sound of NOS over OS as the end result.

I never said that people should not try NOS or that liking it was somewhow wrong. What I said was that technically it was flawed.

There's an irrational hype surrounding these "quirky" products, thanks to both media and audiophiles who know little or nothing about digital audio.
I would love to see proper statistics of how often people are mislead into buying these crippled topologies only to, after trying to "appreciate" the "unique qualities" (you call them effects, I say they're distortions), end up disappointed and having to dump them in the used market... I bit the bullet a few times, got myself a NOS DAC, a chip-amp, a T-amp, single driver speakers.
Many audiophiles attribute the wrong causes to the "effects" they hear and NOS is not an exception. A system, as the name implies, is composed by a group of different elements, each with its qualities and flaws. Those flaws and their causes are not easy to identify and many end up addressing issues produced by one element with equipement which has the inverse issue; but two wrongs don't make a right. For example, if you speakers are bright-sounding you don't add a NOS DAC with droopy treble because you will not solve the problem of the speakers and the NOS will bring its own shortcomings to the equation...
If people enjoy lower-fi topologies by all means buy them; but are they really necessary? Is anyone still watching films in VHS on a CRT TV anymore, or listening on a gramophone?

Why buy a cheap high performance DAC when you can spend big bucks on a low performance DAC like the Audio Note?

£96,000 for the DAC5!!!
& yet is always Naim & Linn that get the multi page slag offs about pricing. What the latest Linn front end offering, £30k & has Dac, Streamer & Pre? Audio note make DCS look cheap & at least there is proper tech in their products.

Absolutely no justification for such pricing apart from idiots paying it.

I would love to see proper statistics of how often people are mislead into buying these crippled topologies only to, after trying to "appreciate" the "unique qualities" (you call them effects, I say they're distortions), end up disappointed and having to dump them in the used market... I bit the bullet a few times, got myself a NOS DAC, a chip-amp, a T-amp, single driver speakers.

The same could be said of the best measuring gear too. You only have to look at the classified section to see many great measuring DACs come up second hand a few months after purchase, I've seen loads of Chord Qutest's in the classifieds over the last year.

The same could be said of the best measuring gear too. You only have to look at the classified section to see many great measuring DACs come up second hand a few months after purchase, I've seen loads of Chord Qutest's in the classifieds over the last year.

The problem with "great measuring" is that you have to make your own interpretation of the measurements, not rely on someone else's. JA at Stereophile will always donwplay sometimes serious issues... At one time he had nothing to praise so the said the the quality of the packaging was stellar.

Some people will say that the best DAC they've listened to was a Kondo, others a Chord, others still a Marantz...

They can't all be right. Well, they are and they aren't. They are right because for them it was the best they heard, but they are wrong because for others it was some other DAC...

Subjective reviews are bias-inducing and also misleading for those very reasons. There's no way around it, you have to listen and judge for yourself. And if technical flaws or lower-fidelity is not an issue you should start by listening to a wide array of different "presentations" then narrow your choice down to a particular one.

I spun a few records for the first time in a while, have been doing a deep dive into my CD collection recently.

It’s interesting that it took a couple of tracks for me to re acclimatise myself back into analogue. I did really enjoy the music still but there was definitely some benign distortion at play. Not sure I understand why people would want digital to sound analogue or vice versa, far better to enjoy each format for what it is.

Noise Floor - Bryston was well known for being one of the lowest noise floor amps in the audio industry - probably still are. So this is the win - walking close up to the speaker there was slightly more noise from the OTO - that could explain the sensation one gets that there is more ambiance generated from the amplifier and not actually on the recording. But you could not hear that noise from the seating positon and it didn't increase with the volume level.

Indeed - noise floor is one of least important measurements of performance and barely relevant to sound quality provided it is adequate. A typical listening room has a background noise level of 50dB and a quiet room around 40dB. If you're listening at 80-90dB SPL then that's only 40-50dB above the room noise floor. This is why Vinyl and tape are perfectly adequate.
Even with lowly cassette (OK I have a 3-head NAK which helps) the s/n of 60dB of a good type 2 tape is more than adequate to listen at loud levels and not notice any hiss even between tracks from the seating position, with no Dolby NR. Indeed I suspect the reason most people deride cassette is the over use of Dolby NR to "fix" the perceived problem of tape hiss which just causes its own artefacts.
On many CD's from old analogue masters you can often hear the background tape hiss from the original recording so having 120dB SNR in the playback system is somewhat moot!

Guys with little more than midfi systems lecturing the designer of Tron????!!!! Scary stuff.

The human race is taking a massive step backwards.
That’s a pretty snobby statement, do people with more money & higher end systems know more?

I really like Tron gear BTW & have a lot of respect for GT Audio.

The second hand market is no arbiter of a product's quality it simply shows that people chop and change kit, there's no broad indication of reasoning behind the purchase or sale.

AN and DCS are at opposite ends of the market one invests in digital design and advanced production and manufacturing the other spends their money on esoteric parts, materials and hand assembly. DCS is all about the math, AN most certainly aren't.

There's no reason why an individual listener 'should' prefer better measurements over worse, and certainly not once sighted bias is and retailer showmanship is factored into a demo. That on average people trend towards the more neutral measuring kit en masses under blinded test conditions tells you nothing about the taste of outliers.

Coming up with a vaguely technology valid sounding reason as to why a subset of people seem to like a fundamentally broken implementation of cd playback is nothing more than conjecture. Here's a difference, people must like it because of that difference, that's not how science works, that's not how you remove confounding variables from a comparison and identify what people are actually responding to.

I would love to see proper statistics of how often people are mislead into buying these crippled topologies only to, after trying to "appreciate" the "unique qualities" (you call them effects, I say they're distortions)

I have never called them effects!

Is anyone still watching films in VHS on a CRT TV anymore, or listening on a gramophone?

For certain testing I sometimes prefer to use an analogue CRT oscilloscope over a digital one. Actually there are, all be it a small following, particularly in France for wind up gramophones. I am sure there are some of the older generation who still watch VHS tapes through their TV. It's probably about the same number who would buy an expensive DAC.

There is a Gramophone convention pretty much every year in Paris. I also have one made by HMV. It's not High Fidelity but it has a unique replay quality, as in it sounds very direct and realistic as it has no electronics in the replay chain, as it's purely a mechanical replay device. Then of course you have vinyl replay and 20% of all album sales in 2021 was vinyl. People are very good at deciding what is good or bad, or what they like and what they don't like. They should be allowed to make their own minds up by listening to each technology and deciding for themselves which is best. Also companies who make good products usually stay in business for a long time. That is usually a good test if people like what they do, or if they make good products.

& yet is always Naim & Linn that get the multi page slag offs about pricing. What the latest Linn front end offering, £30k & has Dac, Streamer & Pre? Audio note make DCS look cheap & at least there is proper tech in their products.

Absolutely no justification for such pricing apart from idiots paying it.

Does every thread, even one about Audio Note, have to be dragged round to Linn and Naim? Please let it stop.

Does every thread, even one about Audio Note, have to be dragged round to Linn and Naim? Please let it stop.
It is just a comparison. I own some Linn gear & have owned lots of naim. I think it is valid to point out that some brands get a free pass & others get flamed.

It is just a comparison. I own some Linn gear & have owned lots of naim. I think it is valid to point out that some brands get a free pass & others get flamed.

giphy.gif

advertisement

Back