Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Innovations Valve amps

Discussion in 'audio' started by BlueYeti, May 11, 2008.

1. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

Hi Guy - and the lads :) , hope you're all doing well.
    Now, I own an ol' S500 MkI amp and the ECC88s have passed their prime and need to be replaced. I wonder whether the Russian 6N1Ps will be a no-risk option, or are they unsafe to use there and I, thus, must go for 6N23Ps instead? Your advice will be much appreciated - thank you.

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

ECC88's are a pretty long life valve. I'd expect them to last 10 years or more with an hour or two use most days.
    If you need to replace them then whats wrong with the correct valves? ECC88, E88CC, 6DJ8, 6922
    6N1P are in fact quite different from ECC88 but 6N23P pretty close.

coltrane likes this.
  3. coltrane

thanks Jez, yes, I know (mostly) but I have a good supply to the 6N1Ps, hence was my query

4. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

I've got some Voshkod 6H23N in that position. I've played with Phillips 6DJ8 and 6922 JAN variant too.

I really liked the JAN one but it went microphonic.

The Voshkods are cool; nice sound. Easily better to my ears than the EH ECC88 that came with Audrey! :D

5. Arkless Electronics

6N1P's should work... you won't break anything, but the characteristics are quite different in certain respects... 6N1P takes greater heater current, has half the transconductance of ECC88 and different anode resistance.

coltrane likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris pfm Member

How similar is the present day P10 to the P1 and 2 ?

7. coltrane

thanks for all, lads, I decided not to use the 6N1Ps> better to be safe than sorry

Monitor Gold 10 likes this.
  8. Mostec

Mostec New Member

Hello to all, I just bought AI 1000 mk3 and they are on its way to my home. I never had a chance for demo listening. I hope they will make my Tannoy Edinburgh He speakers sing nice. I have valve preamp Croft Super Micro from 1987, what do you experts think, is the Croft good partner for AI 1000 Mk3?

9. Hooch500

Hooch500 pfm Member

Should be ideal with the Tannoys ! Great amp.

Mostec likes this.
  10. pil

pil pfm Member

Bought another ai 300 a few months back
    It is a stupidly good amp with easy to drive speakers, not sure how much I'd need to spend to beat it, guessing a fair bit

Mostec likes this.
  11. Monitor Gold 10

Good afternoon all!
    I'm looking forward to getting a pair of Mullard E88CC Valves in the New Year! This will mean all Signal Valves are Mullards! Can't wait to plug them in! :)

12. Arkless Electronics

Original Tesla are very good. I have the "holy grail" Mullard E88CC-01's with gold pins and strangely enough they sound like.....an ECC88!

Monitor Gold 10 likes this.
  13. Monitor Gold 10

From the pictures, that's exactly what I'm getting! Gold Pin Mullards! :)

14. toprepairman

toprepairman pfm Member

Nice, but getting pricey now, what did they set you back?

15. Arkless Electronics

Now't. A mate gave me about half a dozen boxed NOS ones years ago.

16. toprepairman

toprepairman pfm Member

Ooh that's nice, good for you, What about M G 10?

17. coltrane

dunno how they'll work in your amp but IME Mullard won't surely translate 'the best sonics' in all amps and at all places

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  18. Haruspex

Haruspex Member

Good afternoon

I have an early S500 which I am considering recommissioning (been in its box for 20 years) and I was wondering if David Wright in Sussex was still active and if anyone had his contact details.

I had an interesting chat with some chaps in the AudioNote room at the last Bristol show. I commented that thier new integrated amp they were domo'ing looked quite similar to my AI 500. They said that it was indeed modelled on the old S500 and that a number of people at AudioNote factory still own them. Apparently AudioNote and Audio Innovations were parallel companies in the early days. So I asked if they would service an Audio Innovations S500 and they said they would, in fact I think they would also service the monoblock and S1000 amps, which is nice.

Many Thanks in advance

Anthony

19. flapland

flapland pfm Member

David Coe who is AD Audio has a lots of experience with these. He isn't on PFM but is known as Juancho elsewhere.

Website details below.

https://adaudio.wordpress.com

donmarrese likes this.
  20. Haruspex

Haruspex Member

Thank you for the reply

flapland likes this.