advertisement

Audial Model S DAC

My view is that competent, let alone good or excellent equipment should be able to play any genre of music, limited only by room and speaker driver size and speed. Unfortunately, my view doesn’t seem to be shared by many in the industry.

Next question... I understand that the TDA1541 is an R/2R design, an implementation on a chip of an approach also taken by designers who use separate resistors to make "ladder" DACs.

Is one approach better than the other? To build something from discrete components which is already available on a chip seems a bit perverse... unless those who do it think there is some good reason for taking that path.

I ask because if I ever buy another DAC, the Audial and Soekris are the ones in the running (though I'll need some convincing that my TEAC UD-503 is likely to be significantly bettered).

Much as I like my Audial, I don't think you will gain much. The Teac has a well implemented AKM dac chip. My experience tells me that the technology and/or chipset are secondary to the implementation. For example, my Topping D70Pro Sabre using ESS, that many profess not to like, is an excellent dac.

Next question... I understand that the TDA1541 is an R/2R design, an implementation on a chip of an approach also taken by designers who use separate resistors to make "ladder" DACs.

Is one approach better than the other? To build something from discrete components which is already available on a chip seems a bit perverse... unless those who do it think there is some good reason for taking that path.

I ask because if I ever buy another DAC, the Audial and Soekris are the ones in the running (though I'll need some convincing that my TEAC UD-503 is likely to be significantly bettered).
Having heard the Soekris and now owning the Audial IMO the Audial is much superior. The Soekris is pleasant and suited to jazz and classical, but there's none of the thrill / live sound factor

An update after a few weeks. The S5b is everything mentioned (above) so far and I’ll start with sublime and the most musical dac (including cd players) that I have ever owned. This is really a wonderful Dac made by a man who has been passionately working on implementing the TDA1541 chip in his Dac over a long time.

It is incredibly versatile and very revealing of the source. I have changed computer source to a slimmed down Windows 11 running Foobar and JRiver and it’s been a revelation in how good This DAC is. My vinyl rig has been pretty much unplayed for a few weeks now.

I appreciate all of the feedback on this DAC here.
I am looking for a DAC in this price range and this one is high on the list. I just wish I could find more sound comparisons to some more often reviewed DACs. For instance I would be very curious to see some comparisons to some of the popular and frequently reviewed R2R DACs like some of the Denafrips offerings as well as the Gustard R26 and the Laiv Harmony to name a few.

There are almost no reviews or comparisons on YouTube of any TDA1541 DACs. I wonder why that is? They seem to be very popular with most of the people that own them.

I appreciate all of the feedback on this DAC here.
I am looking for a DAC in this price range and this one is high on the list. I just wish I could find more sound comparisons to some more often reviewed DACs. For instance I would be very curious to see some comparisons to some of the popular and frequently reviewed R2R DACs like some of the Denafrips offerings as well as the Gustard R26 and the Laiv Harmony to name a few.

There are almost no reviews or comparisons on YouTube of any TDA1541 DACs. I wonder why that is? They seem to be very popular with most of the people that own them.
This is my first TDA. It has replaced an AKM 4497EQ based dac. Even though this is a highly rated chip in a good implementation it isn’t in the same league.

Next week I will be comparing the Audial with a Matrix Sabre Dac which ASR have rated very highly. I did have that Dac in my system for a few weeks about a year ago and while I did like it my preferred Dac is the Audial. It will be interesting to see whether the Matrix owner buys an Audial.

I thought that the importer in the UK did a review of the Audial online.

Wow , interestingly enough A Very British Audiophile just posted a review of the Audio Note 0.1X DAC with exactly the sort of comparisons that I was looking for.
A lot of high praise for the Audio Note from him. I can only assume the Audial would be even better in most if not every regard.
Would love to see him do a review.

advertisement

Back