advertisement

Audial Model S DAC

My Sugden is RCA only. Would XLR to RCA plugs work?
I had special XLR-RCA cables made for an older DAC that I owned that only had XLR outputs but it also required me to set a menu item for unbalanced output on the DAC. I don't know for sure but I don't think that it's as simple as using a suitable cable.

You can buy the Audial S5 with two pairs of RCA outputs and have output transformers on one pair of them.

I had special XLR-RCA cables made for an older DAC that I owned that only had XLR outputs but it also required me to set a menu item for unbalanced output on the DAC. I don't know for sure but I don't think that it's as simple as using a suitable cable.

You can buy the Audial S5 with two pairs of RCA outputs and have output transformers on one pair of them.
That’s most likely what I will do. I’m going to have a listen to a friend’s S4 first.

Actually it is as easy as having the right lead-no menu settings or anything to worry about. As the RCA outputs with transformer output have a hot and cold you simply need to have an RCA to XLR lead using them and using the ground lead for the cable screen. I understand when you order with transformers for XLR or RCA the other output remains capacitor coupled, hence the flexibility

Really interested in this dac, only worry I have is that it runs hot and one has to remember to turn it off, wish it had a standby switch, I have a Primare Dac30 and it is always on, sometimes I put it on standby, but it is nothing I worry about.
I guess going from a Dac30 to the S5 would be an upgrade? Anyone heard both dac’s ?

It does not run hot and I turn mine off when not in use. It seems to sound fine after about 15 seconds.
I have my own build tda1541 DAC and it never gets more than gently warm. Totally agree warm up is incredibly quick in absolute terms and compared to other DACs even tho my version has valve output stage. No reason to leave it on at all

I’d been keen to hear from those that have this and what the sonic differences between the transformer couple output and capacitor output please.

Depends on the rest of the system, potential ground loops and so on. I generally stay transformer coupled, less noise, but mix it up occasionally.

Capacitor coupled is perhaps more incisive and more fatiguing over long sessions. It also sounds more like various other dacs I have.

I like my various other dacs and anyway I think dacs, once competent, are more alike than different.

I have just ordered the S5. Now the one month wait. I’ll post my thoughts here. Having heard the S4 for a short audition I am looking forward to receiving it. Hopefully my end game Dac.

My black s5 arrived this morning. Sounded terrible straight out the box, but now sounding pretty decent after a couple of hours. I'll report back once it's run in more.
The only issue is that it won't work with my Innuos Zen Mini Mk3. The Innuos recognises it and the USB light on the s5 comes on but no sound emerges. Elite Audio say there's a setting on the Zen that needs changing but I can't for the life of me think what that could be......

The USB interface presents as four channel. In Linux, you would use the plughw: device rather than hw: - look for something along those lines

Sorry but that's not it. It works perfectly with my Mac Mini, no change in any settings required
How does it sound with the Mac mini? Sounding terrible straight up is a bit disappointing to say the least.

Does the black look as good as the silver finish?

I don’t remember my S4 sounding bad out of the box, a couple of hours to settle and warm up after shipping maybe.

Can you try coax from Innuos to Audial?

I don’t remember my S4 sounding bad out of the box, a couple of hours to settle and warm up after shipping maybe.

Can you try coax from Innuos to Audial?
It started sounding pretty decent after a few hours with the Mac Mini. Indeed better than my own tda1541 DAC which implies the clocks are very good. It did around 5 hours yesterday and is getting better and better. Unfortunately the coax input is bnc and I don't have an adapter.

But it really has to work with the Innuos as I've invested a lot there.

advertisement

Back