advertisement

ATC40 Actives on home dem

The detail these drag out of recordings is incredible. Listening to Karma Police, I can actually hear what he's singing! Should these be turned off when not in use, I'm a bit unclear re their class a bias.

I asked about this from ATC customer service and they answered to me that SCM40A uses about 40W per speaker when idle. So I wouldn't leave them on for long times if unused. ATC recommended to turn them off if unused for 8 hours or longer.

I tried remote controlled power switches (only one model though) and they had very obvious negative effect on sound quality so I haven't bothered with other models after that. It was like the sound got choked by something, lost some dynamics and liveliness. Just have to bend over to turn them on/off I guess. I wish they had standby mode. This is only shortcoming on active models though. Sound quality is on completely different level compared to passive 40's, which I owned for ~four years before switching to active.

Seem a fair few people end up migrating from Naim/Linn to ATC. My friend had the same journey a while ago and hasn't found anything he's liked more than his ATC's. Very enjoyable to listen to, the timbre/dynamics is convincing on difficult instruments like Piano.
Stellar Support from ATC too, they even sent someone out to diagnose a fault with his actives, turned out it wasn't the speaker but the Preamp (no charge).

Seem a fair few people end up migrating from Naim/Linn to ATC. My friend had the same journey a while ago and hasn't found anything he's liked more than his ATC's. Very enjoyable to listen to, the timbre/dynamics is convincing on difficult instruments like Piano.
Stellar Support from ATC too, they even sent someone out to diagnose a fault with his actives, turned out it wasn't the speaker but the Preamp (no charge).

Worth adding that Naim and ATC have a relationship that goes way back - Naim used ATC drive units in their DBLs and I think it may well have been through Billy Woodman that Julian Vereker became aware of active speakers. In his early days Julian had some success with pro customers, but this faded whereas ATC developed their pro business steadily.

Looking at this picture (obviously there' 10 liters in it, and perhaps with the bigger speaker is more relaxed sounding), but they don't look massively different from the front...These are the 40's right?

db9c8c54286e98f9ea6edae9299bed86.jpg

Seem a fair few people end up migrating from Naim/Linn to ATC.

Agreed. For me, I can't really say what my ATCs 'sound like'. Sure, I'd like to try the bigger models (I have SCM25a) but only for more of what I've got. Unlike all other speakers I've had, I just don't notice them. Its what I'm playing that grabs my attention - this is surely exactly what a speaker should do.

Agreed. For me, I can't really say what my ATCs 'sound like'. Sure, I'd like to try the bigger models (I have SCM25a) but only for more of what I've got. Unlike all other speakers I've had, I just don't notice them. Its what I'm playing that grabs my attention - this is surely exactly what a speaker should do.
Yep, 25s are just like that. As are the other ATCs I’ve owned - 50s, 100s and 7s. They just do music. You just get more of it as you go up the range.

Just listened to Little Feat - Dixie Chicken, sounded a bit off for about the 1st minute or so but I'd only just switched them on; as the album progressed they just got better & better. Very impressive & they don't hum like the NAP250.

Looking at this picture (obviously there' 10 liters in it, and perhaps with the bigger speaker is more relaxed sounding), but they don't look massively different from the front...These are the 40's right?
if I’m not mistaken, there are different versions of the midrange units and tweeters in the 40s and 50s - the 50s have the “S” variants, and the 50s have the SL bass units and a heftier amp pack. But it’s a big leap in price.

I ended up from Naim stack + passive 40’s to Linn ADSM + active 40’s. Best move I’ve done in hifi.

Edit: Well at least on par with me discovering Naim ~10 years ago. These are the two biggest steps I’ve taken on my ~20 year journey in hifi.

if I’m not mistaken, there are different versions of the midrange units and tweeters in the 40s and 50s - the 50s have the “S” variants, and the 50s have the SL bass units and a heftier amp pack. But it’s a big leap in price.
Correct. Not a massive difference in power & I am sure they are better but I always think ignorance is bliss when you don't have the additional £6k.

Space, thanks for that pic. It’s the first time I’ve seen the 40 and 50 models side by side, interesting the 40 is taller but I appreciate the 50 is deeper.
Are the stands an extra cost with the 50?

No.

But I guess most domestic ATC50 are 'T' nowadays?

The 50 stands are just simple frames, nothing special and no spikes.

advertisement

Back