advertisement

ATC40 Actives on home dem

Depending on where you ordered I think I was told about the same when I ordered my 40 Cherry actives and the dealer rang a few days later to say the factory said it was going to be 3 months or some similar rubbish.

Then he said, '"Only joking. I've got them here now for you!" And to the dealer, if you are reading this you know who you are! :)

I don't know who you are talking about :D

With Woodface confirmed a selection of ATC's past and present clients around the world :)

Ronnie (Man in a van)
Doug Sax
Mark Knopfler
Sony Music Studios, New York
Dolby Labortories
Warner Bros Burbank, CA
Polygram Wiseloord Studios, Holland
Walt Disney Concert Hall L.A.
Lenny Kravitz
John Phillips
Skin (Skunk Anansie)
K & A Productions (Naxos)
Pioneer Optical Disc (Barcelona)
Sterling Sound, New Jersey, USA
Telarc
herb
VTR TV Production Company
Paramount Pictures, Hollywood
BBC - UK
Woodface :)
Lightning Seeds (Ian Broudie)
Pink Floyd's Studio
AndyU
Dave Gilmour
Ed Cherney
manicatel
Jarvis Recording Studios, NY
Dep International
John Kurlander
Ian Anderson
Archive Mastering, Nova Scotia, Canada.
awl
Manor Mobiles
Beacon Studio (Dublin)
Hans Zimmer
Karl Wallinger World Party
Albert's Music
Patu
Angel Studios, Islington
Chelsea Studio NY
London Post
Enya
Theirry Allard, Bruxelles
Matrix
Swedish Radio
Carlton Television (Nottingham & London)
York Street Studios
Boogie Park, Hamburg
Bruce Dunlop Assoc., London
Prince Sufri, Brunei
Tom Petty
Hokkaido Bunka Hoso
Broadcast Station (Sapporo)
Daniel Bedingfield
Hozier
Sirensound Audio Archiving Monster Music, Madrid
The Wigmore Hall
Crazy Sound, Guadeloupe Oorong studio (Japan)
Yellow Shark (Cheltenham)
Expand Studio (London)
Aura London
tw99
Blacks Lab (Nashville)
Winds Over The Earth
Michael Winner
Abko NY
Sony-SACD NY
darrenyeats
Chuck Ainley
Tim Cook
Backstage Studio Nashville
Fluke, London
Spectral Harmony, Bombay
Hamon Studio, Tel Aviv
Zaza Studios,Tel Aviv
Dougunn
Loco Studio,Wales
London College of Music
Polish Broadcast
Lakeside, Switzerland
Tape to Tape, London
IAmBoY
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Blackbird Studios (Nashville)
Loud Recording (Nashville)
The Rolling Stones
Michael Ashby
Chris Gehringer (Senior Engineer & Sterling Sound, New York, USA)
DTS
US Airforce
Cambridge University
Cleveland Institute of Music
evand
George Massenburg
Dhani Harrison
Cristalphonic
The Living Room NYC
sunshine
Plus XXX Studios Paris
Air Studios
Matt Aitken
Beethoven Street
okkaido Television (Sapporo)
Asahi Television (Tokyo)
Fife University
Moles Studio
Fourlegs
ARC Studio
Birdseed007
Kash Productions, Madrid
Albert's Studio
Telegael, Eire (6 Studios)
Kate Bush
Smecky Music Studio
Paul R
Dairy Studios
Sain Records
Mute Records (Depeche Mode, Erasure)
Scape Mastering
Todd AO, USA
Nick Whitaker (Internationally Renowned Acoustician)
Ground Control, L.A
Angell Sound, London (5 Studios)
Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
Sydney Opera House
Blue Cassette Studios
Royal College o fMusic
Birmingham University
Essex University
Bristol University
University of Surrey (Francis Rumsey)
Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club
Lou Reed
SBS Television, Australia
Lansdowne Recording Studio
Greg Walsh (Producer Paul McCartney, Tina Turner, Elkie Brooks)
Peter Walsh (Producer Stevie Wonder, Peter Gabriel, Simple Minds, Pulp)
James Guthrie (Pink Floyd, Toto, Chicago)
The Tate Gallery
hifi-dog
Bob Ludwig Masterdisk
The Pope
Bruce Leek
Vogler Audio Media
John Richards
Tony Wass
Ishikawa Television (Kanazawa)
Tokai Television (Nagoya)
Fuji Television (Tokyo)

My daughter was getting rather fraught over the thought of not going on holiday in February (yes, I know etc). Her concern being that we were looking at doors when we already have one & the floor "is fine"; when the "speaker man" arrived she started to lose it completely. We were just "wasting money" rather than booking a holiday.

Well done on the 40A. I am running them with 252 (and NDS) myself.

I got the 555PS recapped and DR and the SC2 / 252 fully recapped all in the last 3m. My goodness the 252 service was the last piece of the puzzle, what was already very good - has honestly gone to off the chart’s good. Not sure how old your 252 / SC is, but if due a service, it really does open up the 40A window even more.

So much so, I am looking to the 50A already........

Enjoy !

To the OP - a great thread and a very interesting read of your experiences. Can you also let us know what your thoughts are when you connect the SBLs back up (if you intend to do that prior to the arrival of the ATCs). I think when my new listening room is ready I will take a leaf out of your book and get a home dem of the ATCs ... it's going to take something special to remove the SL2s though.

To the OP - a great thread and a very interesting read of your experiences. Can you also let us know what your thoughts are when you connect the SBLs back up (if you intend to do that prior to the arrival of the ATCs). I think when my new listening room is ready I will take a leaf out of your book and get a home dem of the ATCs ... it's going to take something special to remove the SL2s though.
You are doomed.​

4 x serviced 135’s & SL2’s vs SCM40a’s.
I shudder to think of the servicing bill for that lot!
An interesting comparison though. Every time I heard the SL2’s I alway thought they needed a sub which was a bit bonkers bearing in mind their price.
Still reckon I’d go for the ATC’s.
Yes,They are that good.

4 x serviced 135’s & SL2’s vs SCM40a’s.
I shudder to think of the servicing bill for that lot!

Not that bad when you consider the total cost of ownership. For instance I purchased 2 of the 135s for £1850 some 17 years ago. I had them serviced straight off by Naim which I recall was around £400 at the time and I had them serviced at Class A last year for £500ish from what I remember. So 17 years use for a total outlay of £2750. If I sell them for £2000 (might get more, but £2K is a dead cert) then they will have cost me £750 in total which is £45 a year approx. I think that's pretty good.

Hi,
I have an Audiolab 8000A purchased 1991 - so at least 29 years use, never serviced and it still sounds great, all for £399.
Regards,
Shadders.

Good for you, but it won't sound like a pair of 135s, in fact IMO it's one of the worst sounding amplifiers ever produced and that was when it was new, but we all like different things so I'm glad you are happy with it. Oh and it's worth bugger all today :D

Good for you, but it won't sound like a pair of 135s, in fact IMO it's one of the worst sounding amplifiers ever produced and that was when it was new, but we all like different things so I'm glad you are happy with it. Oh and it's worth bugger all today :D
Hi,
Why would i want it to sound like another amplifier ?

On the worth statement by you, i do not buy into fashion products such as Naim, Bose, Linn etc., I purchase equipment based on their value for money and performance.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
Why would i want it to sound like another amplifier ?

On the worth statement by you, i do not buy into fashion products such as Naim, Bose, Linn etc., I purchase equipment based on their value for money and performance.

Regards,
Shadders.

Whatever. At the end of the day I'm not sure what personality trait it is that makes you and your sort feel the need to take a pop at Naim and owners of Naim at every opportunity, but It's largely irrelevant as I have been very happy with my Naim gear and the cost of it and a few jibes from some no mark on a forum on the Internet is never going to change that. You, on the other hand, wouldn't be happy with it and that is absolutely fine, but why feel the need to try and bestow your opinion on those that are? It makes you look like a bit of an idiot to be honest!

I'm not sure what personality trait it is that makes you and your sort feel the need to take a pop at Naim and owners of Naim at every opportunity
Hi,
You must be confusing me with someone else. This is the first statement i have made against Naim.

If you read what you have written, it is you who have denigrated Audiolab for its sound without prompting. Yet, this is ok for you to do.

Look at the Naim IBL thread, where you complain of others who did not say something positive about Naim. The person was answering the original posters question directly, yet you could not accept their point of view and went on to state they lost trust in their ears based on their view that Naim was evil. (post #21)

In post #30 in that thread you state :
"FWIW I was never overly impressed by IBLs, but each to their own and I certainly feel no no need to tell people on a thread where others are enthusing about them. Like what you like and leave others to do likewise."
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-ibl.236307/page-2

Why not take your own advice, by letting people like what they like. There was no need to denigrate Audiolab.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
You must be confusing me with someone else. This is the first statement i have made against Naim.

If you read what you have written, it is you who have denigrated Audiolab for its sound without prompting. Yet, this is ok for you to do.

Look at the Naim IBL thread, where you complain of others who did not say something positive about Naim. The person was answering the original posters question directly, yet you could not accept their point of view and went on to state they lost trust in their ears based on their view that Naim was evil. (post #21)

In post #30 in that thread you state :
"FWIW I was never overly impressed by IBLs, but each to their own and I certainly feel no no need to tell people on a thread where others are enthusing about them. Like what you like and leave others to do likewise."
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-ibl.236307/page-2

Why not take your own advice, by letting people like what they like. There was no need to denigrate Audiolab.

Regards,
Shadders.

You are work of art. It was you who decided to interject in a statement about the total cost of ownership of Naim some shite about how an Audiolab was much better value and then you get all butt hurt when I say that IN MY OPINION it was a poor sounding amp, but we all like different things so I'm glad you are happy with it... I am taking my own advice, 100%!

advertisement

Back