advertisement

ATC40 Actives on home dem

10 litres & about £6k
And another 13 kg or so (for the stand-mount version - a lot of that, I suspect, from the bigger magnets).

I auditioned the 40a and the 50a classic back to back at my dealer one morning a few years back. Both dealt completely with the issues I had identified with my then loudspeakers. Issues getting in the way with enjoying the mix of music I like. I could happily have lived with either.

He delivered the demo 50a to me at home that evening and I ordered a pair a week or so later. If the ATC core characteristics suit you (and that's certainly a very personal decision to be taken with care) then the 40a, relatively at least, is a bargain.

And another 13 kg or so (for the stand-mount version - a lot of that, I suspect, from the bigger magnets).

I auditioned the 40a and the 50a classic back to back at my dealer one morning a few years back. Both dealt completely with the issues I had identified with my then loudspeakers. Issues getting in the way with enjoying the mix of music I like. I could happily have lived with either.

He delivered the demo 50a to me at home that evening and I ordered a pair a week or so later. If the ATC core characteristics suit you (and that's certainly a very personal decision to be taken with care) then the 40a, relatively at least, is a bargain.
If I had the cash I would probably go with ATC50s, just always fancied a pair of the stand mount version. It may happen sometime in the future if a demo pair come up but I couldn't be more happy with the 40s to be honest.

Do all the larger ATCs need space around them? Would they suffer muchly against a wall let alone in corners?

Do all the larger ATCs need space around them? Would they suffer muchly against a wall let alone in corners?
They say a minimum of 8cm away from rear wall, I have the dem pair a bit further out than that either side of a fireplace, not ideal but I can pull them out further & will do if I end up buying a pair.

They say a minimum of 8cm away from rear wall, I have the dem pair a bit further out than that either side of a fireplace, not ideal but I can pull them out further & will do if I end up buying a pair.
Cheers. 8cm isn't much really. I've really like the ATCs I've heard in passing.... I should probably stop thinking :).

Possibly due to the sealed box design I have found them to be a lot less fussy about placement than other speakers.
Mine are approx 60cm from the front wall, but only about half that from the side walls & with a very small amount of toe-in.
In my small room, I did try various placements & although there were sonic differences, they didn’t seem anywhere near as large as with some other speakers I’ve had in the same room.
A mate of mine has the passive scm40’s driven by a superb Vitus amp & his speakers are probably only 15cm or so away from the front wall, with more toe in than I have & again I think he has them really singing.

Agreed. For me, I can't really say what my ATCs 'sound like'. Sure, I'd like to try the bigger models (I have SCM25a) but only for more of what I've got. Unlike all other speakers I've had, I just don't notice them. Its what I'm playing that grabs my attention - this is surely exactly what a speaker should do.

:cool: ATC Transducer. A precision monitoring instrument :)

Pink Floyd - 'Wish you were here' sounding incredibly good through the 40s tonight. SBLs never really scaled enough for this record.

Pink Floyd - 'Wish you were here' sounding incredibly good through the 40s tonight. SBLs never really scaled enough for this record.
James Guthrie used a big set of ATC monitors when he remixed Dark Side of the Moon.

ATC speakers are simply fantastic. I can’t say enough about them. I have five of the SCM 150’s and a down-firing 15” sub-woofer here at my place. The entire system, including the 9” model that ATC was kind enough to send down to Compass Point Studios in Nassau, where Roger was working on another project, has imaging unlike anything else I’ve ever heard. The dispersion characteristic is fantastic, and the phase coherency is fabulous.

ATC speakers are so easy to mix on. The mid-range is instantly relatable – it’s so easy to equalise through them and know exactly where you are in the frequency spectrum. And there’s no hype to ATC speakers. Mix on them and you can go outside, play the mix on any system, and have no surprises.

https://www.highfidelityreview.com/...uthries-dark-side-of-the-moon-5-1-re-mix.html

James Guthrie used a big set of ATC monitors when he remixed Dark Side of the Moon.

ATC speakers are simply fantastic. I can’t say enough about them. I have five of the SCM 150’s and a down-firing 15” sub-woofer here at my place. The entire system, including the 9” model that ATC was kind enough to send down to Compass Point Studios in Nassau, where Roger was working on another project, has imaging unlike anything else I’ve ever heard. The dispersion characteristic is fantastic, and the phase coherency is fabulous.

ATC speakers are so easy to mix on. The mid-range is instantly relatable – it’s so easy to equalise through them and know exactly where you are in the frequency spectrum. And there’s no hype to ATC speakers. Mix on them and you can go outside, play the mix on any system, and have no surprises.

https://www.highfidelityreview.com/...uthries-dark-side-of-the-moon-5-1-re-mix.html

Nice :cool: ATC Professional. Reference monitoring :)

82621245_2470598389733774_3999643566610579456_n.jpg

83662856_2470598553067091_1765509988500897792_n.jpg

82314005_2470599149733698_8243322673854152704_n.jpg

Should be about 4 weeks. Just broke the news to better half, she's OK with it.

Depending on where you ordered I think I was told about the same when I ordered my 40 Cherry actives and the dealer rang a few days later to say the factory said it was going to be 3 months or some similar rubbish.

Then he said, '"Only joking. I've got them here now for you!" And to the dealer, if you are reading this you know who you are! :)

advertisement

Back