advertisement

ATC SCM 19 v2

How large is your room? Do you notice much difference between the 19s and shl5 anniversaries in terms of pressurising the room?
If you want room pressure, you need to move air — two 6.5" mid/bass drivers in a sealed box just aren't going to cut it even if they do go pretty damn loud (on most people's scale).

If you want room pressure, you need to move air — two 6.5" mid/bass drivers in a sealed box just aren't going to cut it even if they do go pretty damn loud (on most people's scale).
I get that, but more interested in the posters comparison between the SHL5 which I have and the 19s

Just to prove there are no absolutes in hifi, I moved originally from passive SCM40 mk1 to SCM19v2 and far preferred the SCM19. Now with SHL5Plus anniversaries, I slightly miss those SCM19s. Perhaps they were just perfect for my room.

What I should have said is that over the last sixteen years after an SCM19 v SCM40 dem I don’t recall any of our clients choosing passive or actives SCM19’s over SCM40’s.

Well doing a demo of the 11s and 40s today, unfortunately 19s not available for demo. Going to need to take a bit of a gamble on whether I will switch my shl5 for the 19s. Will report back.

Well doing a demo of the 11s and 40s today, unfortunately 19s not available for demo. Going to need to take a bit of a gamble on whether I will switch my shl5 for the 19s. Will report back.

If it's the SHL5 non-Plus, I suspect the gamble would pay off. The biggest weakness of the SHL5 non Plus is the smeared and overblown bass. Ironically, I lived with the pair for 7 years. The SHL5 Plus is a much better and improved speaker than the non-Plus to me.

The bass of the ATC should sound cleaner, leaner and more accurate than the SHL5. SCM11 vs 40, not exactly a fair comparison. The larger scale, bass and effortless sound of the SCM40 should trounce the 11.

Bass issues are almost always the room, measuring with REW would have revealed the exact cause of the issue instantly.
Keith

If it's the SHL5 non-Plus, I suspect the gamble would pay off. The biggest weakness of the SHL5 non Plus is the smeared and overblown bass. Ironically, I lived with the pair for 7 years. The SHL5 Plus is a much better and improved speaker than the non-Plus to me.

The bass of the ATC should sound cleaner, leaner and more accurate than the SHL5. SCM11 vs 40, not exactly a fair comparison. The larger scale, bass and effortless sound of the SCM40 should trounce the 11.

Sorry no it is the shl5 plus version, not looking to purchase either 11 or 40 it’s more just to get a idea of how the 19s might sound. From what I’ve read the 19s are a tad warmer than 11s and sound good at lower volumes. The 19s themselves are also quite big, being 44 cm high, so similar size to C7s so hoping won’t struggle in my room which is medium to large 6x4x3m with a bay window on the 6m stretch. Understand the 40s will be better given their larger volume, however some seem to prefer the 19s given the driver in it, as always room / system dependant.

re the shl5+ , they are very good particularly at low volumes and fill my room easily. What I think is less good is when you up the volume a bit, I don’t find them as engaging as I do at lower volumes and find the higher frequencies a bit harsh or not quite in balance with the mid and lower frequencies. Also my wife isn’t keen on the look so that is another consideration.

Really interesting to see how you get on. I’d have thought your room would suit the 40’s really well.

Sorry no it is the shl5 plus version, not looking to purchase either 11 or 40 it’s more just to get a idea of how the 19s might sound. From what I’ve read the 19s are a tad warmer than 11s and sound good at lower volumes. The 19s themselves are also quite big, being 44 cm high, so similar size to C7s so hoping won’t struggle in my room which is medium to large 6x4x3m with a bay window on the 6m stretch. Understand the 40s will be better given their larger volume, however some seem to prefer the 19s given the driver in it, as always room / system dependant.

re the shl5+ , they are very good particularly at low volumes and fill my room easily. What I think is less good is when you up the volume a bit, I don’t find them as engaging as I do at lower volumes and find the higher frequencies a bit harsh or not quite in balance with the mid and lower frequencies. Also my wife isn’t keen on the look so that is another consideration.

That's good to know. The SCM19 used to be in my shortlist several years ago but I settled with something else instead. I have always preferred stand mounts to floorstanders mainly for their flexibility (lighter and easier to move around), less placement or bass issues in the room and finally, lower cost. Similarly, it would be interesting to see how you would get on with the SCM19.

Since you sit 4m from the SHL5+, the room or amp may have contributed to the harshness in the treble especially when you need to turn the volume up on the amp to get a reasonable level at your listening spot. The SHL5+ may show a lit or bright treble when you compare it to warmer sounding speakers but they don't sound harsh to me. I have read about ATCs sounding a bit brighter in the treble than the Harbeth but you will soon find out once you get the SCM19 in your room.

By the way, I usually sit about 2.5m away from all the speakers I have owned or currently own, never more than 3.0m. Hence, the amp (or speakers) doesn't need to work too hard. If the amp or speakers are pushed close to the limit, there may be distortion which contributes to harshness, further exacerbated by colouration of the room.

I just remembered that initially I wasn't that happy with the SCM19 until I changed the stands. I remember that was the cheapest upgrade I've ever done, and I really wasn't sure if stands would make a difference. I bought secondhand Partington Heavi 2 stands, and they transformed the sound. They are extremely solid and heavy, completely the opposite of the open frame stands I have for my Harbeths (I have P3ESR in another room). Prior to that I was using Ikea stools.

I just remembered that initially I wasn't that happy with the SCM19 until I changed the stands. I remember that was the cheapest upgrade I've ever done, and I really wasn't sure if stands would make a difference. I bought secondhand Partington Heavi 2 stands, and they transformed the sound. They are extremely solid and heavy, completely the opposite of the open frame stands I have for my Harbeths (I have P3ESR in another room). Prior to that I was using Ikea stools.

Same here, I was using some Q Acoustics stands which are supposedly a decent speaker stand, but found some old and very heavy Target R1's which transformed mild dissatisfaction into satisfaction.

I really rate Partington stands.

From when I home demoed some ATC SCM11, they were superb in a 4x4.5m room. The bass was (just about) enough for the room, and excelled in the realms of speed and integration.

I did think they were big speakers relative to the level of bass they produced though (just marginally more than the ls3/5a style mini monitors, which were half the size), and lacked a bit of the warmth of the latter.

In the end I found them just a touch too light in the bass for my tastes, and, a tad too forensic in the midrange / lower treble.

That said, I reckon the ATC SCM19’s would have been ideal – slightly lower in the bass, slightly richer mids (from what I’ve read), yet retaining all the coherence of the 11’s. The only thing is…they are big, fairly industrial looking speakers, and wouldn’t fit into my domestic situation, or get girlfriend approval.

For your room size, I expect the 19’s would be a good fit, although as always, a demo will be key.

ATC sent a demo unit of the CDA2 to my dealer so I could have a home audition. Said dealer now has one as a demo unit on the back of it.

FWIW, the SCM 20s I had sounded pretty lost in the 9 x 3.5 x 5m room I had here. The 35s before them did a much better job of filling out the bottom end and were a far more satisfying listen. I really wanted to like the 20s in the room, but they were just not up to it unfortunately. I even tried a sub but it didn't really gel.

Of course Deadmau5 has a studio full of ATC and I have really enjoyed his 2016 album through 100s, it was pretty incredible at volume. I always thought ATCs were at their best loud with electronica and similar genre's.

I have found other speakers to be more engaging at lower volume.

advertisement

Back