advertisement

ATC SCM 19 v2

Just thinking that could be why you preferred 19’s? I have active 40’s and they are pretty amazing speakers.
The room was too small / I was too close to the 40’s so the bass didn’t really integrate well — hard to conclude anything definitive. I’d love to hear 40’s in my room too, also the active versions of each model…

I demoed 19 vs 40, IMO the 19’s are the more coherent speaker thanks to the very high quality mid/bass driver. 40’s won on midrange clarity but lost on bass quality…but different rooms/tastes would no doubt yield different results.

This was pretty much my conclusion when comparing the mk1 SCM19 to the mk1 SCM40. I always found the SCM7 & SCM10 with the SCM19s the best in the range, with the SCM11 and SCM40 not worth the upgrade over the smaller models, IMO. To qualify that I've not heard any of the current range with the ATC tweeter.

The standard midrange unit is way better than in a lot of other speakers.

I have no complaints with coherence or bass quality with my active 40s. I’m sure 50s would be even better but they are twice the price.

Interesting reading comparisons between the 19s and 40s. Seems like 19s may be a bit of a sweet spot in the range providing your room isn’t too big? Which is good as the 40s are currently outside of my budget.

Is there a huge difference in presence between the 40s and 19s?

The standard midrange unit is way better than in a lot of other speakers.

I have no complaints with coherence or bass quality with my active 40s. I’m sure 50s would be even better but they are twice the price.

I also imagine the 7, 11 & 19’s are more forgiving of amplifiers.

I also imagine the 7, 11 & 19’s are more forgiving of amplifiers.
Maybe. I don’t think any of the speakers are a hard load for amps just not very sensitive. A 3 way speaker probably gives the drive units an easier time especially in midband areas?

Who knows or cares as long as they sound good?

As an example, if you play some deadmau5 (electronica/techno!) e.g. "some chords" on the 19's you get an incredible sense of the beat, even without the visceral impact that you'd have in a club.
With larger speakers, you might get more impactful drums and bass, but you may also lose some sense of the crispness of the beat.
All depends what you're sensitive to and what you're willing to live with.

Maybe. I don’t think any of the speakers are a hard load for amps just not very sensitive. ...
Yes, AIUI. From ATC's FAQs (FAQ no.7):
"... we recommend amplifiers with a minimum power output of 75W per channel into 8 ohms. It should be noted that all ATC loudspeakers have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms with a typical minimum of 5.5 ohms. As a result, they do not demand as much current as lower impedance loudspeakers and present an easier ‘load’ to an amplifier. This, coupled with the fact that as you drive a speaker with more power, the voice coil temperature will increase, in turn increasing the impedance, an amplifier with a higher power output into 8 ohms is likely to give better results than an amp with a lower 8 ohm power rating but that can double it’s power into 4 ohms."

The OP's Exposure 3010S2D integrated, rated at 110 watts looks fine unless the system is in a very big room (see FAQ No.5).

As an example, if you play some deadmau5 (electronica/techno!) e.g. "some chords" on the 19's you get an incredible sense of the beat, even without the visceral impact that you'd have in a club.
With larger speakers, you might get more impactful drums and bass, but you may also lose some sense of the crispness of the beat.
All depends what you're sensitive to and what you're willing to live with.

If I play Deadmau5, it sounds like
I’m in a club! Cannot imagine what the bigger ATC’s would do.

Just been over to Spotify to see who Deadmau5 were, whoa, that’s serious stuff.

In view of your liking Deadmau5, I think you might like Acid Washed, who I came across a few year back : https://open.spotify.com/album/3Odg8EChoC6JCiTgfW0qPp?si=S8-yccBYQseXC1f1PyuMzg one of my best finds on Spotify, played this album lots, you may know them already, enjoy!

I don’t go out my way to listen to them but I like Some Chords and Raise Your Weapon. Was into drum and bass first time round.

Is there a huge difference in presence between the 40s and 19s?

Yes, there is. With all things being equal SCM40’s with the ‘eerie’ and uncanny quality of the Soft Dome mid range driver in combination with the dedicated LF driver offer far greater weight, depth, scale, speed and punch.

Fwiw, over the last sixteen years I don’t recall anyone choosing passive or actives SCM19’s over SCM40’s.

Fwiw, over the last sixteen years I don’t recall anyone choosing passive or actives SCM19’s over SCM40’s.

Just to prove there are no absolutes in hifi, I moved originally from passive SCM40 mk1 to SCM19v2 and far preferred the SCM19. Now with SHL5Plus anniversaries, I slightly miss those SCM19s. Perhaps they were just perfect for my room.

Definitely, no speakers perfect- I guess it’s a trade off between different elements and comes down to what you prioritise. What was your findings / memory re room filling ability of shl5 vs scm19s ? As this is my main concern, don’t want to be wishing for floorstanders. My room is 4x6x3m with a large bay window on the longer length of wall to give an idea.

If you're specifically asking about room filling, either of the two speakers is capable of going plenty loud enough for me in a room a little bigger than you have specified.

Yes, there is. With all things being equal SCM40’s with the ‘eerie’ and uncanny quality of the Soft Dome mid range driver in combination with the dedicated LF driver offer far greater weight, depth, scale, speed and punch.

I remember very clearly how pleasantly shocked I was by the rimshots and the kick when I plugged my passive 40s in for the first time, playing massive Attack's Angel, wow...

And all over again when I did the same with the active 50s ;)

Just to prove there are no absolutes in hifi, I moved originally from passive SCM40 mk1 to SCM19v2 and far preferred the SCM19. Now with SHL5Plus anniversaries, I slightly miss those SCM19s. Perhaps they were just perfect for my room.
How large is your room? Do you notice much difference between the 19s and shl5 anniversaries in terms of pressurising the room?

The mk2’s are supposed to be better though aren’t they?

If I’d decided to stick with passive, I’d definitely have gone Mk2 SCM19’s. Mk2 active 40’s are awesome though, cannot imagine changing them for a long time - if ever!

advertisement

Back