advertisement

ATC SCM 19 v2

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Questions for people who have heard these speakers. How do they do in a medium to large room 4x6x3m ?

Good upgrade over the 11s? I have previously heard and liked the 11s, big wide sound stage from memory.

How do they sound at low volumes?

Did you miss the bass? roll off at 54hz but is this noticeable in practice?

would be driven by an exposure 3010S2D integrated, rated at 110 watts but understand it is really around 135 watts.

thanks in advance.

I have some and my room is bigger if I count the dining area and kitchen extension.
How do they do in a medium to large room 4x6x3m ?
They are great if you listen near field. They do also play loud enough to annoy neighbours without strain too, but it's not a room filling sound in terms of image height. I find 50W is fine, despite always reading that they need oodles of power.
How do they sound at low volumes?
Excellent I'd say, assuming good amp and source.
Did you miss the bass? roll off at 54hz but is this noticeable in practice?
Not once I got them dialled in. The roll off is more gradual than a ported speaker, I also augment the bass a bit by using close to the wall. Definitely good heavy stands/isolation helps, I'm using Target R1. Good speaker cables that let through the bass (like EWA) help. The sealed box bass is super tight and I think I even prefer it to ported bass, it's more toe-tapping — they just don't rattle windows, but they are also ideal to integrate with a sub due to the sealed box bass.

I have just compared a pair of ATC SCM 19 active floorstanders with ProAc D20R. It might be a matter of taste, but for me the ProAc won.
However I still have a pair of Harbeth M30 here, but they are replaced now by the D20R.
The ATC were good, but low levels seems not to be their strength. Both speakers, I think, are better allrounders than my Harbeth. Maybe the Harbeth have their strength in voices and timbre.
Many people like the HL5, but in my ears it is the weakest Harbeth speaker.

I have just compared a pair of ATC SCM 19 active floorstanders with ProAc D20R. It might be a matter of taste, but for me the ProAc won.
However I still have a pair of Harbeth M30 here, but they are replaced now by the D20R.
The ATC were good, but low levels seems not to be their strength. Both speakers, I think, are better allrounders than my Harbeth. Maybe the Harbeth have their strength in voices and timbre.

This makes the hobby so much fun. I've heard proac speakers and have never found them to be as good as ATC. when I heard ATC, I thought its the best I've ever heard, at least as an all rounder.

I've had the atc 11 and been wanting to upgrade them to 19, but was always more tempted to just add a subwoofer instead.

I've used exposure 3010s2 to power my 11s as well, but have to say the hegel is a better fit for atc than exposure

What cables do folk use? I don’t usually pay much attention to cables but noticed the handbook (available on their website says you need a cable with a min cross section of 2.5 mm2, however I currently use Atlas Hyper 2.0 which as I understand it is 2 mm2 so would need to change, so that would be an additional expense.

Only got my SHL5s recently and do like a lot about them - full range sound, pressurise the room correctly, the look of them and particularly good at low volumes. However, really struggling to get a balanced sound stage with them, so really fussy about positioning, seems like there is only a narrow window for optimum sound and sound stage is smaller then you would think given the size of them. Also, and this is a double edged sword whilst a really easy listen at lower volumes bit harsh when pushed so not quite as engaging as I’d like when pushing them.

having heard the scm 11s I remember them having a nice wide soundstage and also filling my room pretty easily, so hoping for more of the same with the 19s. Only issue is my dealer only has the 11s and 40s on demo so will need to make my decision based on these two.

I upgraded a few years ago from SCM19v2 to SHL5 plus 40th anniversaries. With the passage of time, I have mixed feelings about the upgrade. Obviously I gained something, but I lost something too. That's hifi I guess.

I upgraded a few years ago from SCM19v2 to SHL5 plus 40th anniversaries. With the passage of time, I have mixed feelings about the upgrade. Obviously I gained something, but I lost something too. That's hifi I guess.
Definitely, no speakers perfect- I guess it’s a trade off between different elements and comes down to what you prioritise. What was your findings / memory re room filling ability of shl5 vs scm19s ? As this is my main concern, don’t want to be wishing for floorstanders. My room is 4x6x3m with a large bay window on the longer length of wall to give an idea.

What cables do folk use? I don’t usually pay much attention to cables but noticed the handbook (available on their website says you need a cable with a min cross section of 2.5 mm2, however I currently use Atlas Hyper 2.0 which as I understand it is 2 mm2 so would need to change, so that would be an additional expense.
I wouldn’t worry about it unless your asking the 19’s to draw large currents with mega volume ! I used Atc scm19 with TQ black and it was brilliant

I’d definitely try & listen to active versions, if possible, more money obviously but a game changer for me.

I use EWA LS-80 cables (awesome!), however the amp and source are more important. The ATC19’s just get better and better with better electronics. ;-)

Try to give the 40’s a listen too, the ATC mid range driver is legendary.

A brief ownership of C7s put me off Harbeth, bass timing was not a strength.

I demoed 19 vs 40, IMO the 19’s are the more coherent speaker thanks to the very high quality mid/bass driver. 40’s won on midrange clarity but lost on bass quality…but different rooms/tastes would no doubt yield different results.

Out of interest are you talking about active or passive versions?

The ATC were good, but low levels seems not to be their strength. Both speakers, I think, are better allrounders than my Harbeth.
The Harbeth M30 sounds excessively warm to me and is my least favourite model in the Harbeth line. M30.1 better, 30.2 much better but C7ES3 and SHL5+ are better all-rounders.

Enjoy the Proac D20R.

advertisement

Back