advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VIII

technobear your link doesn't work

Ah, yes. The ******** at BT have deleted my free web space so now I have no web site unless I want to pay someone for a domain name. As I have no intention of paying any more than BT's already usurious charges, this won't be happening so I'll amend my sig.

Hi John, I've PMed you regarding the CDQ transformer humming issue. Your reply of the PM would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi John,

I wonder if I could ask your advice about a possible issue I'm having with my 8200CDQ.

I've had it for almost a year and have been very happy with it. It has sounded great and worked pretty well flawlessly.

Recently though it has started to regularly "freeze up": it continues to play from the same input at the same volume (with no audio issues, pops, hissing, etc.) no matter what is showing on the screen. I can cycle through inputs on the screen, change the volume showing on the screen, etc. it just doesn't seem to affect what the CDQ is actually doing.

Have you heard of this happening before? Could it be source related (I'm using an optical input)? Or should I just contact the dealer about a repair?

Thank you very much!

Sounds like a COMMS issue between the front panel and the main board, could be the clock that drives the front panel on the fritz..

No.

Do you leave it turned on? What happens if you turn it off, wait a minute and then turn it back on?

No, I don't leave it turned on.

If this happens and I turn if off and back on it works properly again (until, sometimes but not always, the same issue arises).

Thanks!

Sounds like a COMMS issue between the front panel and the main board, could be the clock that drives the front panel on the fritz..

Yes, I was assuming it was something like that, although I thought I'd ask here before trying to sort out getting it repaired.

Thanks!

I am on my 3rd Audiolab 9200cdq due to problems.

I returned the 1st after 3-4 days, the 2nd I gave a couple of weeks and I have had the 3rd for 8-9 months. The first 2 would intermittently not get past the start up screen, had to start up maybe 8-10 times for them to get past startup screen. The latest one has been misbehaving intermittently (bad for weeks then fine for weeks, but more recently all the time), same symptoms as above + would startup but not play music or would start up then switch off, then start up etc.. and other similar problems.

I have persevered because they sound so good and they usually starts after 8-10 startups. I have returned it to default settings, have tried every combination of startup buttons, but no joy.

Could my mains be causing the problems as I do sometimes get startup problems with my Freeview box connected to my TV, Solar storms maybe? Can't be so unlucky as to get 3 bad ones in a row when other people seem to have good ones. Anyone have any ideas?

Had a look at my CDQ paperwork after making last entry. It is the Audiolab 8200CDQ not 9200 and it is well over a year old so presumably out of warranty.

The software according to front panel is:
Control software: v1.5B
Mainboard software: v1.1A
Servo software v86

Since making my last entry it has been starting up perfectly every time and sounding great.

Anyone else have startup problems and how did you solve them?

Where did you buy it?

Many UK hifi dealers offer a 2 year BADA warranty.

Audio T used to offer 3 years although I don't think they do any longer. My CDQ is warranted for 3 years. Just as well as it needed a new transformer a few months ago.

I bought the 82000CDQ and both of the replacements were from sevenoaks hifi in Bromley but they had closed down a few months after I bought the unit.

Sevenoaks were likely BADA members so even though they don't exist you may be covered. Failing that contact the Audiolab service desk via IAG in Huntingdon, there service offering seems pretty solid based in responses here so far.

Hi John

I am the happy owner of a system of:
1 x 8200CDQ
2 x 8200M
2 x Wharfedale Jade5

I am very new to hifi stuff and a bit of an old man. Can you answer me 3 questions, please:
1. How to connect an integrated stereo amp to CDQ and control the volume from the integrated amp? In other words, using 8200CDQ as a cd player only?
2. How to use the above mentioned stereo integrated amp as a power amp with CDQ? Meaning to control the volume from the 8200CDQ.
3. What is the best way to connect a subwoofer to my system? Which one would you have? Active or passive sub?

Many thanks, really appreciate the help.

Hi John

I am the happy owner of a system of:
1 x 8200CDQ
2 x 8200M
2 x Wharfedale Jade5

I am very new to hifi stuff and a bit of an old man. Can you answer me 3 questions, please:
1. How to connect an integrated stereo amp to CDQ and control the volume from the integrated amp? In other words, using 8200CDQ as a cd player only?
2. How to use the above mentioned stereo integrated amp as a power amp with CDQ? Meaning to control the volume from the 8200CDQ.
3. What is the best way to connect a subwoofer to my system? Which one would you have? Active or passive sub?

Many thanks, really appreciate the help.

Hi bebelacus - welcome.

The user manual describes how to set your CDQ to fixed volume level (entered via a menu upon power-up) - or you can just set the CDQ's volume level to 0dB.

I wonder why you want to change your power amplifiers to an integrated amplifier - its a step backwards if you ask me.

If your using the CDQ to MB's via balanced interconnect (you should be) then you can use the unused RCA outputs on the CDQ to drive the subwoofer.

John

Hi John

Many thanks. I have no intention to switch but planning to build a second system in my attic and i will get an integrated one for this job as the attic has less space than my living room where my present system is. If having a stereo integrated amp I would like keeping my options open and playing,switching the amps between each other and trying different combinations just for fun or a new sound.
It is clear if setting the volume to 0Db but it will require more care in using the remote (not touching the volume). I will have a look at the manual now. As I said, new to this world and not speaking the same language.

Ok, i got it now, looks pretty easy.

As for the sub, unfortunately I have the 8200M, not the 8200MB so no balanced connections. How can I add an active sub in this situation?

Hi John,

I have been off of the forums for a while.

Can you tell me the status of what your plans are for upgrades to mk2, price timescales etc

I have a 8200CDQ. Does the mk2 have a XLR bypass for the home cinema feed?

Are you planning to be and do any upgrades at this years Bristol show?

Thanks

Richard

Back in December 2012 I posted a few times on this thread about 3 Audiolab CDQ's in a row that had start up and other problems.

After having so many problems I built a mains DC filter about 4 months ago from designs on the internet. A few large electrolytic capacitors and a heavy duty bridge rectifier. Since then the cdq has failed to start only a couple of times and then would always start on the second attempt, I cannot categorically say that the mains dc filter is responsible for the improvement in the running of the cdq but... with the Plinius amplifier and cdq both on the same mains block and dc filter (with ATC SCM35 speakers), the sound improvement was very noticeable, fainter sounds brought forward in the mix, greater separation of instruments, less noise, less hum on transformers, awesome!

If this entry has piqued your interest, don't even think about building a mains DC filter unless you have a lot of electronics building experience ... MAINS VOLTAGES! and has rather unconventional circuitry, two electrolytics back to back so that only AC passes.

Are there any other newer threads for the Audiolab CD/CDQ? last entry here in January.

Hi everyone.
I'm a owner of audiolab 8200cdq which I bought in december 2011. I was using it as a dac with different pcs and mac. When I use it with pc I can hear pops and clicks during playback (with "error" on the screen) but when I connect audiolab through usb-hub (basic 4-port d-link) everything is ok. Also when I'm using mac eveyrthing is ok. Could it be something wrong (bug) in audiolab software or usb driver?
I tried on pcs with windows xp, 7, 8, 8.1 with different programs and settings (buffer values and outputs). Only usb hub helps (which has own usb driver).
Best regards,
Emil.

advertisement

Back