advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VIII

Emil,

I suspect your PC has USB3 ports - this is a common error, the USB Host controller is splitting the packets - hence the "Error" message on the CDQ.

A USB 2.0 Hub will correctly reformat the USB stream - the issue is with your PC USB Port, you can try setting the port to USB2 mode in the Bios settings (if possible).

John,

Yes read your Email but I cannot recall if I replied - I'm very sorry if I missed something, my head's been buried in MDAC upgrades and the MDAC2 design.

M-il,

The CDQ "Error" message indicates that the USB frames have been split - the CDQ has no control over how the USB Host formats these frames - its a slave device.

The USB Hub appears to successfully reformat these split frames - if you don't have USB3 host controller (the most common problem) then it can be a multitude of other issues - but the root causes is the USB host is breaking up the USB packets (frames).

You could try a cheap USB PCI card (instead of the motherboards own USB ports) - or just continue using the USB hub.

Thanks for reply John.
But also notice that on win 8 I have clicks and pops (with errors on display) only with 48 kHz files. Other formats (from red book to 24/96) files are ok. But when I converted 48kHz files to 96 kHz (on the fly with jriver or converted by bdpoweramp) everything is ok.
Do you know what is the latest software for audiolab 8200cdq? And one more thing I want to build or buy xlr -10dB attenuators. Can you help me with proper schematic? Measured input impedance of my amlifier is 38kOhms (balanced) and 34kR (unbalanced) although it is specified 32k (according to manual). Do you consider any updates of 8200cdq in the future? I'm considering upgrade my dac to V12E now.
Best regards,
Emil.

I also want to ask what output voltage I'll get from xlrs if I use -10dB atteunators? And how much do I have to reduce volume level in my audiolab to get 2.5V output voltage (balanced output)?
btw. 4.1V is when I set volume level to 0 or to +3?
Emil.

Hi all,

I have an 8200DQ fed by a Squeezebox Touch, hooked up to a Meridian 557 power amp (using balanced connections) into some Kef Reference Model 3.2s. It all sounds absolutely fantastic to me.

I did however read in the MDAC thread that the lower the volume using the digital preamp mode, the less definition you'll hear in the sound.

Is this the case with the 8200? My normal evening listening volume is probably between -40 and -30db, occasionally rising to mid 20s depending on loudness of the music. With headphones it needs to be driven higher.

It all sounds great to me even at -40db, so would I really gain anything by introducing attenuators and such into the mix?

Secondly, am I right in using the 'digital' preamp mode?

Lastly, I can't hear sod all difference between any of the digital filter modes... Is that normal?! :D

Thanks!

I have an 8200CDQ pre screen and power supply change, it was one of the first batch in the UK, I am still loving it used as a DAC (Do not use the CD).

I am curious to have a go with HiRez audio 24/96 and above but not sure if the CDQ will handle it for any of the inputs?

Mt normal source is a Hacked First gen Apple TV playing lossless 16/44.1 with optical in to the CDQ, for Hi Rez I may look to use my MacBook Air Latest model with USB3 out will it play?

Sorry if the question has been asked before I did not keep up with the thread after I bought my CDQ.

Sorry if the question has been asked before I did not keep up with the thread after I bought my CDQ.

Audiolab assumed that many would have this question which is why they added the specifications to the last page of the user manual. You do still have the user manual don't you? :D

I have an 8200CDQ pre screen and power supply change, it was one of the first batch in the UK, I am still loving it used as a DAC (Do not use the CD).

I am curious to have a go with HiRez audio 24/96 and above but not sure if the CDQ will handle it for any of the inputs?

Mt normal source is a Hacked First gen Apple TV playing lossless 16/44.1 with optical in to the CDQ, for Hi Rez I may look to use my MacBook Air Latest model with USB3 out will it play?

The CDQ will handle upto 96/24 via USB and 192/24 via SPDIF.

hard to say if you will have problems with USB3, it depends upon the Chipset and drivers used on the MacBook Air motherboard's USB3 port - sadly the only way to findout is to try... then Apple might break the support with a later software update - they seem to be having fun with there USB drivers...

Hi all,

I have an 8200DQ fed by a Squeezebox Touch, hooked up to a Meridian 557 power amp (using balanced connections) into some Kef Reference Model 3.2s. It all sounds absolutely fantastic to me.

I did however read in the MDAC thread that the lower the volume using the digital preamp mode, the less definition you'll hear in the sound.

Is this the case with the 8200? My normal evening listening volume is probably between -40 and -30db, occasionally rising to mid 20s depending on loudness of the music. With headphones it needs to be driven higher.

It all sounds great to me even at -40db, so would I really gain anything by introducing attenuators and such into the mix?

Secondly, am I right in using the 'digital' preamp mode?

Lastly, I can't hear sod all difference between any of the digital filter modes... Is that normal?! :D

Thanks!

If you cannot hear differences with the various filters in your system and you are happy with the SQ, then I'd not worry about any potential loss with the Digital attenuator... just sit back and enjoy the music :)

With a digital source, the "Digital Pre" offers the highest quality option...

Hello. I am Russian owner of 8200cdq (OLED version).
I use also headphone amplifier spl phonitor and Audeze Lcd-2 headphones.

I have expirienced better sound of this unit when it is connected with wrong polarity of power cord. This difference most in the soundstage depth. It appears more 3d effect and more realistic imaging localisation.

When i connecting it in the right direction I have ground loop (i have no stage depth. Everithing is flat even if I press "ground lift" button on Amplifier.)

The question is, can this "wrong" polarity mode be potentialy dangerous for cd player?

firewheel,

No need to worry about the Mains polarity - its not "dangerous" for the CD player.

The symptoms you describe are typical due to differences in "Ground" Leakage currents circulating between your audio components between via the Audio signal Ground connection - confirm that your Balanced interconnect has both signal Phases AND Ground wired correctly.

With Balanced interconnection you really should not notice a difference - as you do, it suggest the Common mode rejection of your headphone amplifier is not great or the interconnect is wired incorrectly..

The CDQ will handle upto 96/24 via USB and 192/24 via SPDIF.

hard to say if you will have problems with USB3, it depends upon the Chipset and drivers used on the MacBook Air motherboard's USB3 port - sadly the only way to findout is to try... then Apple might break the support with a later software update - they seem to be having fun with there USB drivers...

Thank you John I had a play with the USB out of the MacBook Air and had no issues other than I could discern no difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 but that is good for my collection :).

Hi,

Since 2 weeks I have added the 8200DQ to my set, I have to say I am completely happy. Straigthforward design, lots of inputs ... and above all to my unexperienced ears a very natural sound, whatever that might mean.

I am using the 8200DQ as preamp and wired it with balanced interconnects to a Bryston 4B-SST. One thing is left for me to do and that is to use the Trigger output of the 8200DQ to power up the amp.

The 4B-SST has a input terminal that accepts a bare-wire (18 or 22 gauge) 4V or 12V connection.
What kind of trigger interconnects does the 8200Dq accept?
Should it be a 3.5mm mono jack (which I cut off at one end to connect the bare wire ends into the Bryston amp)?

Or would a 3.5mm stereo jack with the ground and the left or right channel connected to the amp do the trick?

Where could I buy a suitable trigger cable form the shelf? i.e. E-bay?

Kind regards,

Eric

Hi,

Since 2 weeks I have added the 8200DQ to my set, I have to say I am completely happy. Straigthforward design, lots of inputs ... and above all to my unexperienced ears a very natural sound, whatever that might mean.

I am using the 8200DQ as preamp and wired it with balanced interconnects to a Bryston 4B-SST. One thing is left for me to do and that is to use the Trigger output of the 8200DQ to power up the amp.

The 4B-SST has a input terminal that accepts a bare-wire (18 or 22 gauge) 4V or 12V connection.
What kind of trigger interconnects does the 8200Dq accept?
Should it be a 3.5mm mono jack (which I cut off at one end to connect the bare wire ends into the Bryston amp)?

Or would a 3.5mm stereo jack with the ground and the left or right channel connected to the amp do the trick?

Where could I buy a suitable trigger cable form the shelf? i.e. E-bay?

Kind regards,

Eric

Eric - the Trigger outputs on the DQ are 12V - so as you say all you need to do is "3.5mm mono jack (which I cut off at one end to connect the bare wire ends into the Bryston amp)"

No idea where to buy the cable but certainly you can find them on Ebay.

Eric - the Trigger outputs on the DQ are 12V - so as you say all you need to do is "3.5mm mono jack (which I cut off at one end to connect the bare wire ends into the Bryston amp)"

No idea where to buy the cable but certainly you can find them on Ebay.

John,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I did some measuring today with a stereo cable with a 3.5mm jack.
Apparently the 12V is set over the left and right channel wire. So I connected those to the amp and it works fine now.

My Audiolab 8200cdq won't power up. Tried everything - changed fuse, swapped power leads etc. Powered on and off loads of times, but nothing...

The only 'bit of life' is the red optical light at the rear.

Purchased in June 2011, and listening to everyday since. Amazing machine, and the withdrawal symptoms are already starting...

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

Since my Audiolab 8200cdq is out if action, I've gone from my PC directly to my Quad 606 MK 2 power amp. So is my PC acting as a pre-amp then?

The 606's are some amps!! Must be over 25 yrs old.. What a machine!

Still miss my 8200 and my remote!

advertisement

Back