advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VIII

I definitely had problems with Foobar, you may read some earlier post of mine, and with Mediamonkey I was using a different driver, wasapi, I don't know if this could make a difference. I didn't try any other MP's.
What counts for me is that I do hear a difference, as I said, not on all tracks but on those poorly played by the other MP's. Now I definitely trust my ears unless someone wants to say that I was around the campfire myself too under the effect of some heavy hallucinogen mushroom :).

RF problems? It could be but that wouldn't go away by changing software, right?

Even with a simple software there are so many factors in between, starting from compatibility problems, hey I had it with Foobar and Asio that was always showing the Audiolab Sound Device as unavailable as soon as I hit play, I even re-installed W& from scratch and the problem was still there, anyone with a solution? Apparently not, but hey it's just a common Windows like millions and the same bitperfect software, but still it didn't work. Perhaps some spell on my laptop :rolleyes:

Competition? It could be but so far I haven't read any claim on the guy's forum about what's better and what's not, only a review on a specialized hifi website, very respected in The Netherlands, were they biased in their review? It could be but then every reviewer could be even the ones who reviewed the 8200 and said that it was great, which it is but just because I took it home on a loan and liked it :)

Hello! I have a problem with AUDIOLAB 8200CD. If I connect it to my Samsung UE46D6750 LCD TV through optical cable the sound stops for a moment every few seconds and the device displays NO LINK error I tried both optical inputs, different TV settings and different cables. Nothing does not help.

Also if I connect it with USB cable to my MAC book AIR, the same thing occurs. Sound clicks every few seconds and ERROR is displayed. I tried different software players and USB cables without any help. I read that other people are also experiencing similar problems.

Basically I cannot use it as an external DAC at all, sound stops/clicks all the time. The CD function is fine. I am very disappointed (((

How could I fix it? I suppose this is a AUDIOLAB device problem. Does the warranty apply to this?

Thank you in advance!

Hello! I have a problem with AUDIOLAB 8200CD. If I connect it to my Samsung UE46D6750 LCD TV through optical cable the sound stops for a moment every few seconds and the device displays NO LINK error I tried both optical inputs, different TV settings and different cables. Nothing does not help.

Also if I connect it with USB cable to my MAC book AIR, the same thing occurs. Sound clicks every few seconds and ERROR is displayed. I tried different software players and USB cables without any help. I read that other people are also experiencing similar problems.

Basically I cannot use it as an external DAC at all, sound stops/clicks all the time. The CD function is fine. I am very disappointed (((

How could I fix it? I suppose this is a AUDIOLAB device problem. Does the warranty apply to this?

Thank you in advance!

The "Error" over USB is an issue with the APPLE USB Host controller - nothing can be done from our side - although Apple Firmware updates have fixed / Broken the USB connection - it effects certain models - we believe certain units with "Display port" interfaces.

For the drop-outs with your Samsung TV, if you read your manual section on setting DPLL BW (Jitter Rejection) set to Medium or High for the input used with your TV.

John

For the drop-outs with your Samsung TV, if you read your manual section on setting DPLL BW (Jitter Rejection) set to Medium or High for the input used with your TV.

Sorry, I did not find this setting. Where is it? My model is AUDIOLAB 8200CD (first version).

Hello,

I have a problem with my Audiolab 8200cd

I bought mine a years ago new from dealer. 6 weeks ago my Audiolab become weird.
After 20 min of use (aprox.) the player display turn off and red power light become flashing. The only thing to do is power off, wait 5-10 min to cool and power on for a new 20 min.

Shipped to importer for repair. The importer changed main board and shipped back.
Now after 20-30 min the cd motor begun turning very noisy and the player is jammed (display jammed and no sound). Must power off 10-15 min and power on to make him work for another 20 min..

So my player is functioning only by 15-20 min batches. I suspect the power supply.
It will be shipped again to importer for repairs.

After only a year of use (almost all the time as DAC) I’m very disappointed.

Can someone shed a light on this issue please?

Thank you

Hi. Anyone out there using TelluriumQ XLR cables to connect their CDQ or MDAC to active speakers? Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

Hi there,

i have an 8200CDQ V12E and i ran into some problems yesterday.

1. When i set the preamp to "digital", i get a loud white noise out of my speakers, when i select digital sources like opt 1, opt 2, cd and so on. When i select AUX or TUNER, it is dead silent.

2. The preamp somehow turns the input signal off, when there is no, not loud enough or not long enough input. When i am listening to music with my pc, which is connected with an optical cable, it is working. When i turn the music off for 2 minutes, i hear a clicking noise from the 8200CDQ. When i press "play" again, it takes 1-2 seconds, until the preamp plays again after making a clicking noise again. Had the same problem when watching TV with a Humax PVR. In silent scenes, the preamp just turned off...

Thank you for your help!

The CDQ doesn't turn off in the absence of sound.

In the absence of a digital signal there is nothing for the DAC to lock onto so it is muted.

The problem lies with your TV and PVR which are turning off their digital outputs during long quiet passages.

As to point 1, it sounds like your CDQ might have sticky relays which are not opening or closing properly.

Are you in the EU? If so then you have a 2 year warranty. Take your CDQ in for servicing.

The CDQ doesn't turn off in the absence of sound.

In the absence of a digital signal there is nothing for the DAC to lock onto so it is muted.

The problem lies with your TV and PVR which are turning off their digital outputs during long quiet passages.

Nope no problem with the digital sources. Checked now with 3 different sources and my other DAC which works flawlessly. As i said it also happens with my turntable which has nothing to do with the DAC.

I am already in contact with the german distributor for audiolab. I hope they can fix the problem or provide me with another device.

OK, it sounds like the output muting relays are not working correctly. This is a known problem that has affected a handful of units.

Do you have a set of headphones? Try inserting the headphone plug and see if you get sound. Plug in the headphone for a few seconds and then unplug it again. Do this a dozen times or so. This will exercise one set of relays at least. Not sure if it exercises them all. It has worked for others who had this issue.

If this doesn't work, your CDQ will have to be returned for servicing.

The CDQ seems to get very good reviews from those on this forum. I wont be taking this route as I have a Rega Saturn. I may in the future be looking at an 8200q + 2 8200p power ams to bi-amp my Celestions.
My question is how do you rate the pre-amp in the 8200q to the pre in the CDQ. Is it as good ?.

Hi all

Just got a very good deal for a full system as in my signature. So far, very happy with that, especially after more than 50 hours of listening and running in. The whole set up opend up so nice and sounds really sweet. It also fills my big room very well ( about 40 squared metres and high ceiling).
For the moment it keeps me busy trying various connections. I started to play with the PC connected via USB. I just couldn't believe the result. I mean, it is that good. Called friends and did blind tests - original CD vs same tracks in MP3 format.

A few things I am not very happy with:

- CDQ came up with a faulty remote. It didnt work at all. Sent it back to the shop and they returned it repaired after a few days. Said it was a faulty resistance or something like that. It works very well now.

- The CD tray is very shallow; it happens in two occasions that the CD got caught between the tray and upper frame. Now I am very, very careful when putting the CD on the tray;

- for no aparent reason the ''eject'' button on the front panel got stuck in after a few days of operation without remote. I must say that I washed and dried my hands really well every time before operating the CDQ and before loading CDs. I switched the unit off and pressed the button a few times in/out and now seems to be alright, moving smooth.

- the 8200M make an audible ''buzz'' noise when turning on. The noise disapers after a while.

- tweeeters of Jade 5 also make a very little hizz noise even when the volume is turned down to minimum. It is unaudible during the normal use.

- for the time being I use Black Rhodium Jive speaker cables generously provided by the dealer for testing my system. I use the bare wire but I have a question: Is it possible to use banana plugs into 8200M? It is posible into the Jade 5 but I am not sure about the 8200M. I know very little, it is my first hifi but it looks like a banana connector cannot go into an 8200M. Can anyone help?

Otherwise, as I said, I am very happy. Dealer (Soundcreation.ro) was very helpful and nice, excellent support and the whole system is just very sweet to my ears.

Audiolab 8200CDQ; 2 x 8200M; Wharfedale Jade 5

- the 8200M make an audible ''buzz'' noise when turning on. The noise disapers after a while.

The transformer has to work hard for the first few seconds to charge the capacitor bank. This is normal on powerful amps.

- tweeeters of Jade 5 also make a very little hizz noise even when the volume is turned down to minimum. It is unaudible during the normal use.

All amps have a noise floor. This is normal.

- for the time being I use Black Rhodium Jive speaker cables generously provided by the dealer for testing my system. I use the bare wire but I have a question: Is it possible to use banana plugs into 8200M? It is posible into the Jade 5 but I am not sure about the 8200M. I know very little, it is my first hifi but it looks like a banana connector cannot go into an 8200M. Can anyone help?

This should just be a case of prising out the plastic caps or in some cases unscrew the knob completely and remove a plastic blank from inside.

technobear, thanks a lot. I was a bit worried about and a friend was laughing at me that the system is not good. However, he is not into hifi and wanted to run the amps at full volume; luckily I was there and able to stop him before breaking the speakers:)
I'll have a look at the back. As I remember I can on;ly undo the caps and they let me see some hole where I can run the bare wire through. The diameter of that whole seems about the same as a banana plug, just. But the idea of a banana plug must be convenience, easy plug in/plug out and I am afraid that the wholes at the back of the outputs are not big enough for the bananas. I'll check again soon.

Reading around it seems the Audiolabs do indeed have removable plastic bungs. They are apparently quite a tight fit and fiddly to get out. They are there because of truly mind-numbingly stupid EU regulations.

thanks a lot. Did you find out by any chance how to get them out? I am a bit helpless as it is my first hifi set and never used cables etc. I have only used ''all in one'' systems until now.

Hi. Anyone out there using TelluriumQ XLR cables to connect their CDQ or MDAC to active speakers? Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

For gods sake, please go to a pro audio website to buy your XLR cables, then the signal will travel through the same type of cables as it did when it was recorded. I can see why people can hear differences in cables in unbalanced systems, basically the equipment can ring into reactive loads and they are using them as very expensive tone controls, but balanced, nay, nay, thrice nay!.

I've no interest in fanning any flames, and even less interest in defending the following words, but this last post is not how things panned out for me. TQ Black XLR produced a richer sound than my regular "Marc Stager" XLR cables. Not night and day; but richer, fuller. The proverbial wife-with-no-interest-in-hifi-and-cables, etc., and who wouldn't know an XLR cable if it hit her, recognised the TQ Black 8/8 times in a blind A/B test. YMMV and would that really matter?

advertisement

Back