advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who will be the 1st to come on here after receiving an MDAC?
I have just paid a deposit and am told it should be here by the end
Of the week. Daren't tell my girlfriend how much as she will expect
Me to spend the same on her for Xmas eek!!

John, sounds interesting. But I'll start with the OLED+Transformer u/g (and if you can PM me once your plans firm up, ta).

John (ps. stick me down as a possible for the CROSS update for my CDQ too ;-)

Odd one, just had an email from a chap called Peter at IAG UK, wants me to call him to discuss my preorder..
Sam

Odd one, just had an email from a chap called Peter at IAG UK, wants me to call him to discuss my preorder..
Sam

Hi Sam,

Take that as good news! it appears that IAG UK are processing the pre-orders.

Steve, Peter or Anne...

John

Just wondering if anyone is using one of these directly into a power amp and using analogue sources through it.

If so, what are your thoughts?

define 'one of these' ... DO you mean the CDQ? Because the mdac has no analogue throughput.

John,

Please put me down for the Cross upgrade to the CDQ.

I really like this future proofing. :)

£350 or thereabouts is very reasonable.

If you need a disc spinner the CDQ is the answer. I am thinking of buying an MDAC then subsequently selling it to fund the upgraded output stage to the CDQ.

I wish I'd thought of that .... bloody good idea.
And John can stick my name on the Cross upgrade list too :)

Sorry, yes - CDQ.

I've got my turntable's phono stage plugged into the CDQ, where it was previously plugged into my Audiolab 8000AP surround processor. I much prefer the sound of it into the CDQ. Seems to have a very nice analogue pre-amp indeed. So much so that it's my last reason for resisting the MDAC actually.

For anyone who knows the 8000AP, I should say that I was using the "pure" analogue 5.1 inputs rather than the digitised stereo inputs.

Excuse me for butting in with a little question but if I've just bought a cdq I take it that it won't have the updated transformer? If not, when will that come and what difference would I expect? Happy with it, by the way!

Excuse me for butting in with a little question but if I've just bought a cdq I take it that it won't have the updated transformer? If not, when will that come and what difference would I expect? Happy with it, by the way!

Hard to say, as even "recent" production units without the OLED display have been fitted with the new style transformer.

The "new style transformer" brings deeper Bass, wider sound stage.

You can ask Steven Toy, Arthur, rmgalley - here who have had there units updated.

John

Press and hold the "Time" button on your remote. If you have the OLED display this will happen:

As John says, deeper, more tuneful bass, wider soundstage and better dynamics from a perceptibly lowered noise floor.

£350 is perfectly reasonable for a CDQ upgrade (and even a bit more would still be acceptable if necessary), so it looks like I will need to plan another trip to Jeseniky next year :)
Still waiting for some more details on the Jeseniky location to plan my December trip in more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back