advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Russel,

I did say with a "Twist" :)

The design will combine the advantages of CROSS coupled Class A MOSFET stage with brute force...

As I say, more when we decide if we are going to Patent the topology or not...

John

Oh, and whilst you are online John, any news on the first MDAC batch? I've been away so may have missed the latest and the preorders thread seems to have no real info to share...

Hi Jem,

No, I'll be Emailing poeple on the Pre-Order list tonight / tommorow to confirm collection details,

John

Hi Russel,

I did say with a "Twist" :)

The design will combine the advantages of CROSS coupled Class A MOSFET stage with brute force...

As I say, more when we decide if we are going to Patent the topology or not...

John

I would be careful about patenting, a world wide patent would cost about 100K USD. If you want to enforce it, well how much have you got?.

If its really good maybe an IC manufacturer as a partner. Good news about the MDAC, thanks!

a world wide patent would cost about 100K USD. If you want to enforce it, well how much have you got?.
Gosh, is it really that much? What chance a small-time inventor who comes up with a world-beating idea?

Didn't Quad patent the original current dumping topology back in the day? I'm sure that they wouldn't have spent 100K (adjusted for nineteen seventies pricing).

what's the reason that inputs on USB & optical are limited to 96/24 while SPDIF is 192/24 ?

(i remember this was explained somewhere in one of the threads but god knows where)

Gosh, is it really that much? What chance a small-time inventor who comes up with a world-beating idea?

Didn't Quad patent the original current dumping topology back in the day? I'm sure that they wouldn't have spent 100K (adjusted for nineteen seventies pricing).

Yes, it costs a lot for world wide. The main issue is for enforcement, a big company will just sit it out until you go bankrupt.

As a small inventor you have no chance, the best way is to go into partnership with a big company, who may well screw you anyway.

what's the reason that inputs on USB & optical are limited to 96/24 while SPDIF is 192/24 ?

(i remember this was explained somewhere in one of the threads but god knows where)

Are you referring to the MDAC? The optical does function to 192kHz, its just most optical sources and Cheap Plastic Fiber are so bad that its not a reliable connection - so rather then having to constantly field customer complaints that the MDAC’s Optical connection does not work at 192kHz (due to no fault of our own) - we have just rated them to 96kHz.

USB is limited due to the USB1.1 hardware Spec. Our hardware is designed using the TAS1020B which is a USB 1.1 device (A maxim of 12Mbps, which is just a tad too slow for 192kHz Audio Streaming).

John

MDAC PSU first before we are ready with the Amps - tooling has yet to be opened...

John

Any chance of adding a 12V DC trigger out to the 'smart' PSU? To make it perfect as pre/DAC with power amps or active speakers?

Are you referring to the MDAC? The optical does function to 192kHz, its just most optical sources and Cheap Plastic Fiber are so bad that its not a reliable connection - so rather then having to constantly field customer complaints that the MDAC’s Optical connection does not work at 192kHz (due to no fault of our own) - we have just rated them to 96kHz.

USB is limited due to the USB1.1 hardware Spec. Our hardware is designed using the TAS1020B which is a USB 1.1 device (A maxim of 12Mbps, which is just a tad too slow for 192kHz Audio Streaming).

John

yes MDAC, thanks - any thoughts re possible USB2.0 update which should (i guess) fix the issue?

The CD Transport / Streamer will also include an Async 192 kHz Clock-Locked (and galvanic isolated) USB connection,

John

Great idea - Yes :)

Thank you - ashamed I did not think of it...

John

I'll forward you my address where you can ship my complimentary MDAC, so we can settle this case of Audiolab using my ideas outside of those nasty courts... ;)

Keep up the good work and communication with potential users!

I would be careful about patenting, a world wide patent would cost about 100K USD. If you want to enforce it, well how much have you got?.

Yes, thats the issue...
Start with European patent - it provides single point of coverage in what you'd probably intend to be your major market and provides prior art for other locations, whether you decide to pursue in those locations or not.

Biggest problem with patents is they are very time consuming to write and progress - and John, you have so much free time!
And, as Apple et al. are demonstrating, very expensive to defend rather than register.

At least if you've got a patent then at least you've got IP that you can clearly demonstrate as your own, whether you choose to defend it or not. If you don't submit a patent application you've got nothing to defend and it's much harder (financially impossible?) to demonstrate legal ownership of the design concept.

It also gives you something solid to licence when in a consultant designer role.

Yes, it costs a lot for world wide. The main issue is for enforcement, a big company will just sit it out until you go bankrupt.

As a small inventor you have no chance, the best way is to go into partnership with a big company, who may well screw you anyway.

Back in the 1970s, I worked for a company that didn't patent anything. All their inventions were published in Wireless World or the RTS Journal so that nobody else could patent the idea. They figured that there was no way they could fight Sony or JVC on a patent infringement, so by publishing they were as well protected, and anyway, so many modern inventions have a finite and fairly short lifetime before they're obsolete, so by the time another manufacturer had caught on, they'd moved on. It worked for them.

S.

By patenting you are declaring your secrets. Someone else only has to get around the wording of the patent and modify your design accordingly and they have nicked your design.

I agree with all your comments concerning patents - I’ve already been though the process a couple of times, after working so hard, I'd hate to see the topology copied - but there are so few real HiFi companies left, one would have to ask who would really bother?

Its quite "clever" little circuit with many small tricks that are not so obvious - I'm not sure anyone who would copy it would understand what’s going on anyway. They would soon destroy its performance though total ignorance...

I've had the circuit since around 1997 (I developed it in the summer months after returning to Europe after the Hong Kong Handover) – so its time I'd did something useful with it...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back