advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, it was my fault - i did'nt mean "upsampling" but Downsampling (from 24/192 files to 24/96). But if the new transport will feature 24/192 i will wait and buy one :) What will it cost?
Uwe

Uwe,

Early days, I'd hope GBP389.... Atleast thats our target price...

John

If you are going to make a transport with CD mechanism, would it be more logical to update a CDQ with MDAC output stage and other transport/streamer features? As a potential buyer who still is interested in CD and need to make a savings before purchase, I will be confused, especially you earlier said that there is a later plan to update a CDQ with MDAC output stage as well.

Hi Gints,

There's very good technical advantages in separating the Streaming device (with its WiFi connection) and USB (with its PC Ground noise) from the DAC sections...

The units will feature Clock-Locked operation; so much is to be gained from separating the "Noisy" sections from the DAC - with no performance "Disadvantages" (due to Clock-Locking)...

John

If you are going to make a transport with CD mechanism, would it be more logical to update a CDQ with MDAC output stage and other transport/streamer features? As a potential buyer who still is interested in CD and need to make a savings before purchase, I will be confused, especially you earlier said that there is a later plan to update a CDQ with MDAC output stage as well.

We still plan to offer update PCB's for 8200CD / CDQ with 192kHz USB & CROSS OPS - once we have completed the "MDAC" range...

John

We still plan to offer update PCB's for 8200CD / CDQ with 192kHz USB & CROSS OPS - once we have completed the "MDAC" range...

John

That's good news, and the DQ I assume?

Will that make the DQ and the MDAC the same sound quality?
Any idea of an approximate date/cost and im happy to be the first in the queue :)

Richard

John

Oh dear JohnW, you're really not helping me make my mind up on taking the MDAC now!

Without having you commit to anything timelines, what kind of time windows are we talking about here? Within 12 months? 12-18 months?

I am very curious about the full "MDAC" range: what the brief is for each of the components (specs, unique features, price) and timeline.

What I understand is that there is
- the 'Original' MDAC, currently in production
- An upgraded power supply unit with HT passthrough (and single ended to balanced conversion) due in 3ish months (below £300 IIRC)
- An amplifier (on which very little has been said, but to come before the transport/streamer)
- A transport/streamer (32bit/192kHz compatible over USB(?), with WiFi connection and CD with clock input for est. cost of £389, within 6 months)
- The mythical QDAC, which is unconfirmed (but which may add to the MDAC an analog preamp, should accept 192kHz on some of its inputs and some surprise features!)

Am I missing anything? :)

After driving across the “Mountain Pass” between Poland and CZ I can understand - we would offer for you to stay with us - and take a short break, we have a small hotel (Pension) really (I'd not charge you for the room),

Well... This makes the trip more attractive again! Thanks a lot for this offer! It would be great to be able stay with you - it would also make the trip planning easier, as I could arrive late and you would be able to take care of my CDQ the same day in the evening or the next day morning. More flexibility in planning.
I just checked that going through one of the main Polish-Czech border crossings in Tesin (Cieszyn) and then through Opava is quite acceptable and there are good roads both sides of the border. Please contact me by email at vodnikpk(at)gmail.com with your address in Jeseniki Mountains, so that I can check the route in more detail.

Pawel

No rush. I have still got new valves burning in so another moving target is perhaps not a good idea. 25 hours and counting. Another 175 to go... That is 175 x 0.45 KW :eek:

I am very curious about the full "MDAC" range: what the brief is for each of the components (specs, unique features, price) and timeline.

What I understand is that there is
- the 'Original' MDAC, currently in production
- An upgraded power supply unit with HT passthrough (and single ended to balanced conversion) due in 3ish months (below £300 IIRC)
- An amplifier (on which very little has been said, but to come before the transport/streamer)

Correct

- A transport/streamer (32bit/192kHz compatible over USB(?), with WiFi connection and CD with clock input for est. cost of £389, within 6 months)

24/192kHz - not 32/192kHz (as we will be using a Clock-Locked SPDIF link)

- The mythical QDAC, which is unconfirmed (but which may add to the MDAC an analog preamp, should accept 192kHz on some of its inputs and some surprise features!)

Am I missing anything? :)

No basically sounds like a plan... :)

This sounds like an upgrade path for me over the next 12 months.:D

PSU/AV bypass
Digital Streamer.

As long as IAG don't scupper your plans.

Regards the streamer are you planning to do the software side yourselves?
How much in isolation can you develop the hardware side without the hooks into software controls. If it were standard processor based, bespoke PC dedicated for audio, but still able to run PC applications like iTunes / Spotify / Puremusic etc etc... would this be possible ? Or am I alone on these requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back