advertisement

Army morale and national service possibilities

Well from what I see online and around me, many people under 25 are very self absorbed and narcisistic.

It is the duty of the under-25s to be self-absorbed and narcissistic. That is where the great art, music and original thinking comes from.

It does not come from asparagus picking.

PS The social cohesion thing James “Cleverly” was on about earlier is utter bollocks. Do we honestly expect to see Rees Mogg’s or Boris Johnson’s freak children mopping the toilets in a care home in Bolton?

I'm a tree hugging peacenik but I think if you're going to ask people to sign up and fight you absolutely have a duty to treat them properly.
I agree, and these regulars are being pulled pillar to post. They do need to be better treated.

Putting all the ideology to one side for a second, would NS improve the military?
No, and I answer from a position of experience (22 years in the RAF). The fact is that National Service in any guise would not work, let alone the 'voluntary' service which is also available in the TA, RAF Reserve etc etc. This might or might not have been a success in the 50s but 18-30 year olds are a lot more savvy about life as a whole and the idea of service doesn't appeal to as many as it did. It does appeal to some though - enough to manage the natural churn though; I'm not sure.

How will it be taken by the regulars? Well, the national service intake will, as someone already said, largely be REMF (Rear Echelon Mother Fxckers) and not suitably trained to deploy anywhere at any time. What this does mean though, is that all the jobs that need to be maintained in the UK (or non-deployed areas around the world) can be backfilled - and this means more regular deployments for the regulars. These REMF jobs will end up being transitioned into reservist jobs and regulars will spend more time away from their families and friends. This has always been a complaint of squaddies in particular (as they deploy most often).
The way a service career is regarded now is stay in long enough to develop the core social skills that are rumoured to be in short supply in civvy street, as well as build a strong trade portfolio. Techies for example are in demand, be it Cyber, aircraft, engineers of all sorts. Once upon a time the pension was the target as it was for me - perhaps wrongly - because getting out at peak recruitability (not a word) could afford you a full and lucrative second career and a bigger pension than the Armed Forces pension.
I'm still more than happy with my time in the RAF. It is still a good opportunity for young people to get a decent trade, some experience of the world and get out before you are threaders with the whole thing - which I still wasn't at the end!

Army morale is low, teachers morale low, nurses, doctors, local authority staff, care sector….this whole country has low morale.
New research shows UK is at the very bottom, globally for mental well-being. The bottom. Globally.

Global Wellbeing.

I'm a tree hugging peacenik but I think if you're going to ask people to sign up and fight you absolutely have a duty to treat them properly.

The expectation is to be away from their loved ones for long periods and, when the s**t hits the fan, to kill and for some to be killed. You can't put a price on that, but I believe that where we are after years of erosion of benefits, pay and pension, it's certainly nowhere near enough today.

PS The social cohesion thing James “Cleverly” was on about earlier is utter bollocks. Do we honestly expect to see Rees Mogg’s or Boris Johnson’s freak children mopping the toilets in a care home in Bolton?
Probably not. They would probably drop lucky and get Wigan, or Skem.

No, and I answer from a position of experience (22 years in the RAF). The fact is that National Service in any guise would not work, let alone the 'voluntary' service which is also available in the TA, RAF Reserve etc etc. This might or might not have been a success in the 50s but 18-30 year olds are a lot more savvy about life as a whole and the idea of service doesn't appeal to as many as it did. It does appeal to some though - enough to manage the natural churn though; I'm not sure.

How will it be taken by the regulars? Well, the national service intake will, as someone already said, largely be REMF (Rear Echelon Mother Fxckers) and not suitably trained to deploy anywhere at any time. What this does mean though, is that all the jobs that need to be maintained in the UK (or non-deployed areas around the world) can be backfilled - and this means more regular deployments for the regulars. These REMF jobs will end up being transitioned into reservist jobs and regulars will spend more time away from their families and friends. This has always been a complaint of squaddies in particular (as they deploy most often).
The way a service career is regarded now is stay in long enough to develop the core social skills that are rumoured to be in short supply in civvy street, as well as build a strong trade portfolio. Techies for example are in demand, be it Cyber, aircraft, engineers of all sorts. Once upon a time the pension was the target as it was for me - perhaps wrongly - because getting out at peak recruitability (not a word) could afford you a full and lucrative second career and a bigger pension than the Armed Forces pension.
I'm still more than happy with my time in the RAF. It is still a good opportunity for young people to get a decent trade, some experience of the world and get out before you are threaders with the whole thing - which I still wasn't at the end!
Because you have been in the RAF for twenty two years that does not give you the insight into N/S most of the post war intake had been through the war years with bombing etc , knowing that the dreaded call up was going to disrupt your career and private life, girl friends etc just to sweep up a parade square just because some officer was going to visit or perhaps paint the coal white.

Some people will benefit from being involved but the vast majority could not wait to get out. Still not sure why it was my fault that Nasser grabbed the canal.

Because you have been in the RAF for twenty two years that does not give you the insight into N/S most of the post war intake had been through the war years with bombing etc , knowing that the dreaded call up was going to disrupt your career and private life, girl friends etc just to sweep up a parade square just because some officer was going to visit or perhaps paint the coal white.

Some people will benefit from being involved but the vast majority could not wait to get out. Still not sure why it was my fault that Nasser grabbed the canal.
I'm telling you why it won't work now, in my humble opinion and my experience of working in that industry. I don't care how it worked or didn't work then, I just know it is even less relevant or workable now. Don't you think people are ****ed around sweeping parade squares, hangars etc today?

Take it or leave it.

well i looked after a wonderful 92 year old , he loved to tell me of the wonderful 2 years he spent in the RAF on National service and all his adventures . it gave him a real start and guide in life . I tried to get a family member into the army to give him skills for life but sadly it never happened . i think it gives huge strides in discipline and direction
Cannon fodder for idiots like Grant Shapps or Gavin Williamson (Christ the tossories know how to pick "defence" secretaries) sod that for a game of soldiers.

Fighting to protect loved ones and Country is one thing, but why would anyone pledge their life to defend this Royal Family.
A barrier to signing up for many.

Fighting to protect loved ones and Country is one thing, but why would anyone pledge their life to defend this Royal Family.
A barrier to signing up for many.
They aren't though, are they? They are only words, an 'empty' gesture.

advertisement

Back