advertisement

Are WH Phantom Cables Directional?

Confession time: I quite liked what @Robert ’s Kit-Kat—Yale key—twist tie interconnect cable did in my system.

And his trouser press mains cable. Wow!

They were both instrumental in getting me to not worry about wire.

Joe

Good post, Jez. Agreed.

The Audio Science Review site will love you!

S.

I have no time for the ASR site. I'm basically a subjectivist (but obvs only where it is possible for differences to exist!) and whilst measured performance must be up to a standard where it can largely be ruled out as having any influence, I'm not interested in the difference between 0.001% THD and 0.0005% THD or DAC dynamic range of 110dB V 118dB etc

Does Audio Science Review do Trek? If not, that’s pass for me.

Joe

I would have thought that people who spend large amounts of their hard earned and who are into HiFi and the different types of music would tend to be towards the higher and of IQ scale. So how come these peeps don't understand how electricity flows through a metal? Note the terms often used such as 'flows' and 'current'. These are quite descriptive of how electricity is conducted. In the metallic bond the atoms are held in a lattice but their outer electrons are mobile and free to move as if the atoms were is a 'sea' of electrons. Add a bit of heat or a magnetic field or an electrical charge and they will move just like water sloshing around in a pipe. It moves the same way in both directions.

The loudspeakers operate with AC so the cones go in and out as the current flows first one way and then back again rather like applying a foot brake in a car the fluid goes and presses the disk cylinder and then the fluid come back to the peddle cylinder. Do it fast enough and you could make a musical note.

Cheers,

DV

I would have thought that people who spend large amounts of their hard earned and who are into HiFi and the different types of music would tend to be towards the higher and of IQ scale. So how come these peeps don't understand how electricity flows through a metal? Note the terms often used such as 'flows' and 'current'. These are quite descriptive of how electricity is conducted.

DV

Perhaps it's a case of high earners spending large amounts who are into Hifi and different types of music but that's no indication of a high IQ or of having any common sense.

Also, do you really think that they use fancy hi-fi cables in recording studios? Nah.
Now that shows you don't know what you are talking about. Abbey Road did. They were actually called Abbey Road cables, now called Studio Connections.
Just because you say something doesn't make it true.

I would have thought that people who spend large amounts of their hard earned and who are into HiFi and the different types of music would tend to be towards the higher and of IQ scale. So how come these peeps don't understand how electricity flows through a metal?
Perhaps they know that AC flows* at least in part through the dielectric surrounding the cable?
* Electricity flows does it? Is that why some speakers sound congested? :D

We could really use a smiley to indicate sarcasm.

Not at all. The OP has spent several hundred pounds buying directional audiophile cables (assuming he is the original owner) and will have reasons that he sees as valid for placing this sort of value on them. I was trying to get a handle on what those reasons might be from people that place this sort of value on audiophile cables. The physics, manufacturing costs, markup, etc... is irrelevant. The question is what creates the value?

Confession time: I quite liked what @Robert ’s Kit-Kat—Yale key—twist tie interconnect cable did in my system.

And his trouser press mains cable. Wow!

They were both instrumental in getting me to not worry about wire.

Joe

Joe, that lives on via Youtube.
A couple of years ago I took those files and made a video with a preamble :)

For the record and the benefit of those who've not followed my PFM posts over the years, I'm not a cable sound denier - I just advocate the application of some common sense.

Not at all. The OP has spent several hundred pounds buying directional audiophile cables (assuming he is the original owner) and will have reasons that he sees as valid for placing this sort of value on them. I was trying to get a handle on what those reasons might be from people that place this sort of value on audiophile cables. The physics, manufacturing costs, markup, etc... is irrelevant. The question is what creates the value?
Their desire to believe.

Robert,

Joe, that lives on via Youtube.

Awesome, man.

Joe

P.S. When I read posts the accent in my head defaults to standard Canadian, so I had you sounding like Christopher Plummer. It's a bit disconcerting to hear you sound British after all these years.

A relief? Why?
Cable directionality is a myth of course.
Phantom is yet another purveyor of snake oil.
Any perceived change of sound if reversed will be the fruit of your imagination, nothing else.

Depends on the construction of the cable - plenty of cables are asymmetrical. Cables with screens terminated at one end will be "directional" - it is normal for the screen to be terminated at the source end for many interconnects. Speaker cables are more questionable as in my experience any cables that have screening tend to be "floating" screens which aren't terminated at either end.

Depends on the construction of the cable - plenty of cables are asymmetrical. Cables with screens terminated at one end will be "directional" - it is normal for the screen to be terminated at the source end for many interconnects.
Even with such cables, direction makes no difference at audio frequencies.

advertisement

Back