advertisement

Are WH Phantom Cables Directional?

musicman56

50 years hifi & vinyl junkie
Just received my Phantom cables and note that the plastic splitters at the end of each run are different. One is square and the other pointy which leads me to suspect that they are directional.

But which way round do they go? Sorry to be so clueless, but does anyone know?

Thanks.

Just received my Phantom cables and note that the plastic splitters at the end of each run are different. One is square and the other pointy which leads me to suspect that they are directional.

Thanks.
Whilst making no comment on the physics, WH will tell you that they indeed are directional, based upon the way the copper wire is drawn. Again, don’t shoot the messenger! There will be some direction markers on them (there are on mine). Just can’t remember where and I can’t be arsed to pull them out and check, sorry!

Thanks.
The end with the point goes to the loudspeakers.

If they are they’ll say so, and I’d always go with the designer’s recommendation rather than any self-professed internet “expert” opinion! It costs nothing to put them in the orientation intended, so why wouldn’t you?

One end have an 'arrow' splitter indicating the direction. This goes at the speaker end. On the other end mine have 'amp' on the plastic sleeves of the input pins. Go figure!

They are lengths of wire - try both ways.
At the very least, for absolute certanty, WH will not have tried them on your combination of amp' and speakers.
If the sound changes, they are directional, if it doesn't, they aren't.

One end have an 'arrow' splitter indicating the direction. This goes at the speaker end. On the other end mine have 'amp' on the plastic sleeves of the input pins. Go figure!
That's a relief! I've installed them with the arrow at the speaker end so haven't got to pull them all out again. Didn't see the printed 'amp' and 'speaker' on the plugs but then my eye site is not what it was (do they do a large print version for the over 60s?).

Thanks to everybody for your comments. Job done!

For those that believe speaker cables can be directional can I ask what you think happens differently in the two directions? Or is it perhaps more of a case of not knowing but having faith in the integrity of the manufacturer and their instructions?

Remember that we're dealing with an AC signal here. Any asymmetry in the cable would cause horrible distortion regardless of which way around it was connected.

Exactly. The arrows have a placebo effect.

Thanks for the response but I was hoping for a reply from those that considered speaker cables could be directional and why that might be so. Not knocking the belief just trying to understand what it's basis might be.

The idea that WH can tell which way the wire was drawn, is an "interesting" concept too. not least if they claim it to be, or it actually is, single crystal.

Thanks for the response but I was hoping for a reply from those that considered speaker cables could be directional and why that might be so. Not knocking the belief just trying to understand what it's basis might be.
There is no basis, at least not in physics.

The idea that WH can tell which way the wire was drawn, is an "interesting" concept too. not least if they claim it to be, or it actually is, single crystal.
Even if it started as a single crystal, it wouldn't remain that way after being rolled up on a reel.

There is no basis, at least not in physics.

Physics is of little interest to many audiophiles which is fair enough. I have no interest in great many things as well. But there must be some basis or else enthusiasts wouldn't purchase expensive directional speaker cables.

advertisement

Back