advertisement

Are WH Phantom Cables Directional?

Discussing cable ‘technology’ :D is irrelevant when you consider everything far more complex going on before, like component materials, solder joints, connectors everywhere...
Let’s be serious for a second please.

Connect one channel the "right" way round and the other channel the "wrong" way round.

Play some music and if your amplifier, speakers or head don't explode, it probably doesn't matter.

Whether or not they are interested, physics underpins the working of all audio equipment.
However, what the customer base wants - for any reason - underpins sales and commercial success. A good engineer understand that he/she may not be a typical customer and works with that.

Cable company just being proactive. When you read than one end of cable goes into amplifier and other into speaker, automatically next question is - which end.

However, what the customer base wants - for any reason - underpins sales and commercial success. A good engineer understand that he/she may not be a typical customer and works with that.
Claims of cable directionality undermine my confidence in whoever is making them. But you're right, honesty doesn't sell well in general.

I have mine with the pointy end at the speaker but take claims of directionality with a pinch of salt. You can always try them both ways and see if you can hear a difference. All I can say is I heard a positive difference when I replaced the Linn K20 cables on my tri-amped Isobariks. With 6 cables to swap I can't be bothered trying them both ways. By the time I had swapped them I would have forgotten how they sounded!

Mine say “amp” on one end and “speaker” on the other. I chose to plug the former into my amp and the latter into my speakers. It seemed the sensible thing to do.

Claims of cable directionality undermine my confidence in whoever is making them. But you're right, honesty doesn't sell well in general.
I have seen no claims like that from the manufacturer in this case. Just markers on the cable to help customers do what pleases them. I'm with @Tony L here that the OP should connect the cables as indicated, which I think he has, and be happy.

I have mine with the pointy end at the speaker but take claims of directionality with a pinch of salt. You can always try them both ways and see if you can hear a difference. All I can say is I heard a positive difference when I replaced the Linn K20 cables on my tri-amped Isobariks. With 6 cables to swap I can't be bothered trying them both ways. By the time I had swapped them I would have forgotten how they sounded!
From this would it be fair to conclude that you view cables as a "black box" with no idea/interest in how they function only in what they do?

Phantom cable, arrow is speaker end also the banana plugs for the amp have the word "amp" marked on them.

Screenshot-20201121-144244-Gallery.jpg

It is absolutely impossible for a cable to be directional. Ignore the manufacturer as they are liars like so many.
Remember folks... most (80%+) of what you read about hi fi is utter bollox designed to part you from your money.
That's because for the layman a hi-fi system is a series of boxes that do god knows what inside.

The idea that the looms are part of that was clever marketing stuff. But that some people still buy it in 2020 is beyond my understanding.

Also, do you really think that they use fancy hi-fi cables in recording studios? Nah.

It is absolutely impossible for a cable to be directional. Ignore the manufacturer as they are liars like so many.
Remember folks... most (80%+) of what you read about hi fi is utter bollox designed to part you from your money.

Good post, Jez. Agreed.

The Audio Science Review site will love you!

S.

Try it both ways.

It the cable is directional you should hear the difference, no?

If it's necessary to ask others if the cable you own is directional, I think you answered your own question ;)

That's because for the layman a hi-fi system is a series of boxes that do god knows what inside.

The idea that the looms are part of that was clever marketing stuff. But that some people still buy it in 2020 is beyond my understanding.

Also, do you really think that they use fancy hi-fi cables in recording studios? Nah.

It beggars belief that anything important is ignored whilst anything you would have to be a moron to even take seriously... is taken so seriously it generates long threads. It certainly illustrates how Qanon and 5G conspiracies etc happen, and in fact the Qanon one, ludicrous as it is, is at least possible... and less far fetched than most of what audiophools believe in!

I guess this place will be quite quiet when everything will be wireless.

Hardly, wireless is a radiowave that can be attenuated, so there will be people who will say that different materials in the house will cause loss of signal strength, or distortion caused by multipaths to the receiver.

advertisement

Back