advertisement

Are differences just in our heads or just mine?

Last year I did a lot of comparisons - levels matched, instant switching with a switching box. I was very surprised with the results. It didn't matter that it wasn't a blind test, I simply couldn't hear any (or very little) difference between things. I listened through different speakers, and also through headphones. I just couldn't hear a difference at switchover. After a while I wasn't sure what I was listening to, so I became 'blind'.
I'm surprised that more people don't try this. It was a great awakening for me.

I'm always suspicious that the switching device which allows level matching is at least partly responsible for the absence of differences?

I've heard a cheap cassette deck sound exactly like an LP-12 when someone synched the two and switched back and forth between them quickly. For me, the differences are most apparent when you play ten seconds of music on one device and then repeat the same ten seconds on the other device. Repeat in any order thereafter.

Last year I did a lot of comparisons - levels matched, instant switching with a switching box. I was very surprised with the results. It didn't matter that it wasn't a blind test, I simply couldn't hear any (or very little) difference between things. I listened through different speakers, and also through headphones. I just couldn't hear a difference at switchover. After a while I wasn't sure what I was listening to, so I became 'blind'.
I'm surprised that more people don't try this. It was a great awakening for me.

Personally i think this is a poor way of comparing setups as my experience is that the brain is poor at picking out instantaneous differences. It is especially flawed as you would be hearing consecutive sections of music on the different amps, not the SAME segment as just played on the previous amp. In my experience you need at least 30 seconds to a minute or so on one setup to get into the music and then repeat the same segment on the other gear.

FWIW when there was a poll a few months ago comparing 256 kb/s AAC coding against CD quality I was one of the few that got the identity correct ( and I didn't do it by guessing, I heard genuine consistent differences). I did this by playing the whole track in it's entirety (or at least in 2 minute segements) for each version for about 6-8 times over. The first couple of plays just familiarised myself with the music, then after that I just listened out for recording ambience and following the groove/flow and timbre/texture of individual instruments or voices. Assuming that the amps are reasonably capable I wouldn't expect there to be major differences in frequency response between them and that would be the most obvious thing to spot with a switching box. Therefore the method I just described would be more appropriate IMO for discerning the differences.

I'm afraid that I have no faith in audio memory, even over a few seconds, with any certainty.

When you do an instant switch you can hear whether the tonal quality of a particular instrument changes or not. Entirely subject to levels being exactly the same.

So the usual protagonists with their usual fixed opinions :)
Here's mine.

Amps do sound different , no idea if this only applies to ones that measure differently but I am certain that you cannot measure two amps and consistantly say which will sound better. From most sighted and blind tests I have heard you can't get everyone to agree which is better consistantly and it is often dependent on the material the amp is trying to reproduce.

I have taken part in only one DBT of amps , it was for SE , Triode, Pentode and transformer less Valve amps with a SS amp as a reference. It was not difficult to identify differences and most of those attending could consistantly identify the different amps. The only surprise was how good and close the sound from the low cost SS amp was to the esoteric valve amps.

The use of DBT is not the standard in scientific tests, most have an absolute result. DBT is a test that relies on statistical data where an absolute cannot be measured. IMO DBT in audio is a poor test as it relies on audio memory and for this reason can just as easily produce false negatives and false positives. It will produce sucessful results for gross differences but is poor at identifying subjective differences that most people find enhance their listening experience.

IMO DBT in audio is a poor test as it relies on audio memory and for this reason can just as easily produce false negatives and false positives. It will produce sucessful results for gross differences but is poor at identifying subjective differences that most people find enhance their listening experience.

all listening relies on audio memory....the weakness in all tests is that our memory is always bad.
that is why using a logical test will always statistically reveal a more accurate choice.

I'm always suspicious that the switching device which allows level matching is at least partly responsible for the absence of differences?

unfortunately it is essential that volume is matched so use of a volume control is pretty sensible, most hi fi systems actually come free with one when you buy them.

I think during all these tests it may be the reason why people prefer valve amps. They do seem to be an embellishment of the sound.

I do wonder that the trannie amp is just telling it like it is.

We love our colourations.

I've heard a cheap cassette deck sound exactly like an LP-12 when someone synched the two and switched back and forth between them quickly. For me, the differences are most apparent when you play ten seconds of music on one device and then repeat the same ten seconds on the other device. Repeat in any order thereafter.

so what benefit do you get from using only ten seconds of a track that completely negates the meaning of the song?
that means you are listening to sounds, not music.

Personally i think this is a poor way of comparing setups as my experience is that the brain is poor at picking out instantaneous differences. It is especially flawed as you would be hearing consecutive sections of music on the different amps, not the SAME segment as just played on the previous amp. In my experience you need at least 30 seconds to a minute or so on one setup to get into the music and then repeat the same segment on the other gear.

FWIW when there was a poll a few months ago comparing 256 kb/s AAC coding against CD quality I was one of the few that got the identity correct ( and I didn't do it by guessing, I heard genuine consistent differences). I did this by playing the whole track in it's entirety (or at least in 2 minute segements) for each version for about 6-8 times over. The first couple of plays just familiarised myself with the music, then after that I just listened out for recording ambience and following the groove/flow and timbre/texture of individual instruments or voices. Assuming that the amps are reasonably capable I wouldn't expect there to be major differences in frequency response between them and that would be the most obvious thing to spot with a switching box. Therefore the method I just described would be more appropriate IMO for discerning the differences.

most interesting post, because your last three words.....

unfortunately it is essential that volume is matched so use of a volume control is pretty sensible, most hi fi systems actually come free with one when you buy them.

Depends on where in the signal path the switch box puts the volume control.

I think during all these tests it may be the reason why people prefer valve amps. They do seem to be an embellishment of the sound.

I do wonder that the trannie amp is just telling it like it is.

We love our colourations.
are you sure about this?

Depends on where in the signal path the switch box puts the volume control.

how is it not the same for both signals and why would it degrade the signal so much as to obliterate any differences when they are pretty much the same as any normal volume control....????

are you sure about this?

Hi Greg.
The EL84 valve is really a guitar amp valve. Gutarists use it to enhance sound. Gives that crisp tone etc. They are interested in effect and embellishment.

Obviously the transformers have effect on sound too. It is possible that people got tired of amps sounding neutral and not influencing sound just as they got tired of tone controls.

You can't be sure about anything in hi fi as you dont' sit with the master tape for comparison. So having seen a few phases and trends come and go, it is just an idea that has possibilities in this somewhat daft hobby :D

the el84 was designed by mullard for audio use - where do you get this notion that it's for guitar amps?

Was it designed purely for high fidelity in the way that GEC KT 88 was?. More of a multi-purpose valve the EL84 don't you think?

advertisement

Back