advertisement

AR Sound

Dave,

Did anyone check over the Hi-line? Those plugs are not the most robust things I've seen.

Look forward to seeing you and John.

Regards,

Steve

personally I wouldn't buy an Alfa Romeo and then stick a Halfords spoiler on the back, no matter what it did to the handling.

Or you could send it to Brabus/Prodrive etc who will turn it something you never thought possible. Moral of the story - modification isn't always negative.

I haven't yet heard a Naim CD player that doesn't sound grainy, I don't know why this is. I admit I have not heard a 555, but you shouldn't have to go that far to enjoy the sound, should you? I love the amps.

Changing the sound drastically by cable dressing is a bit scary! You would never be happy, it would drive you crazy with pets and cleaners a nightmare. Bonkers imo.

Just to clarify a few points.
Matt, I have tried the hi-line back into the system and i prefer the AR lead.
Steve, As it happens this was the 2nd hi-line the first of which fell apart in my hand when trying to plug it into the amp which tells me the build quality is not very robust but this must be taken into account due to the decoupling design effect in general but i have had no such problems with the ARs as they are of a much more solid and conventional design.
All, Im not here to naim bash as i said in my previous post but just trying to make my point which was not allowed over there which i view as a shame.....ironically theres another "dubious" thread been started which remains open which i find a bit rich but hey im happy with my system now which is the main thing.
Scotty

Naim vs a cottage industry alternative.
Hmmm, It does have a slightly familiar ring to it. Those threads all too often sadly end up as Naim bashing vs. Naim evangelicalism, & eventually thread pulled/mod'd. It takes a fair bit longer to get a thread pulled here, compared to the Naim forum, & I think its more open & varied here, which I prefer.
Lets hope this thread runs a good while, with some more opinions to come on the Yellow1 vs HiLine topic.
If I end up getting a Yellow1 lead, I may see if I can borrow a hiline at the same time to help me decide between the two in my own system & mind. Could be interesting.
Matt.

Or you could send it to Brabus/Prodrive etc who will turn it something you never thought possible. Moral of the story - modification isn't always negative.

Sure, but it wouldn't be what came from the Alfa designers any more, and therefore would be a modded car rather than an Alfa.

I'm not saying changing cables are necessarily a bad thing, but how far do you go until it's no longer a Naim system? It doesn't matter to most people, I know, but you end up in a territory where you just don't know where you are going.

I had the lads round last night and my system started off sounding pretty spectacular, and I just can't imagine it sounding better. However, in the interests of science I am expecting my Yellow1 to be delivered this week, and then I'll see. If it doesn't work for me it can go back, and in many ways I'm hoping that will be the case.

Bob,

You're welcome to post here about new cables you've tried, but it's all too easy for pfm to become a dumping ground for disgruntled members of other forums.

So, discussion about AR Sound cable is fine, but please leave problems about the Naim or any other forum at the door.

Joe / moderating

P.S. I've edited the thread's title.

Can I request that, as this thread is about some pretty big news on the Naim front, if things get a little hairy the thread is pruned rather than completely dumped? There will be inevitable comments about how Naim themselves handle this - it would be impossible not to mention it.

I for one would like to see a collection of personal conclusions when we've all had a fair trial of them and this thing shakes down.

I guess it depends on your outlook and mindset - modified does not have to be a dirty word. Designers are always limited and restricted as to what they can do / how much they can spend / where in the pecking order this particular product has to sit etc etc.

If there is the capacity for more potential to be released from a design it's not a bad thing to exploit it. Look at musical fidelity now offering an 'upgrade scheme' on some of their products. I bet there were MF fans on forums saying that tampering with any of their designs would stop them being official MF - however when they do it in-house, it's perfectly acceptable?

Still - there's nothing wrong with keeping everything official - if it's good for you then that's the most important thing!

Can I request that, as this thread is about some pretty big news on the Naim front, if things get a little hairy the thread is pruned rather than completely dumped? There will be inevitable comments about how Naim themselves handle this - it would be impossible not to mention it.

I for one would like to see a collection of personal conclusions when we've all had a fair trial of them and this thing shakes down.

Hi Rasher,

I don’t really see this thread as being pretty big news to Naim, it may be to their patrons who hang out on PFM, in the real world that is not so big.

I started my thread about how Naim were probably a little surprised at how yet another innocuous thread about a tack on product mushroomed into something that made them feel they should pull the thread on their forum.

On PFM everyone has been very grown up and there has been no Naim bashing, thank goodness. This would have done nobody any good whatsoever. The thread has now progressed into more of a “The word on the street is that there is/might be/could be better interconnects to use with one's Naim kit." No big deal, except, that the dramatic result that the AR product gave me over my existing Naim one was beyond any reasonable expectation.

It would appear that AR Sound has now had a rush of orders and in the fullness of time there will be feedback from everyone trying it out. I noticed that you have ordered a Yellow 1. Leave it in the system for a couple of weeks, switch back to your existing cable and let us know what you think.

I don’t see any reason to pull this thread at all. The only way that might happen is if people start to get slanderous, libellous or just down right obnoxious. Let’s hope that will not happen.

Bob

If anyone is thinking of buying AR cables i would suggest trying ebay where Avi has a site that you can link to and ask him direct by mail which lead would suit particular products.
He is very fast and friendly in replying and posting etc.
Scotty.

I see on the AR sound web site that there is another cable coming, the "SkyLink". This is great, those Naim owners familiar with the upgrade cycle can comfortably ease into a green and then upgrade to a yellow and then skylink! ; )

Simon

advertisement

Back