advertisement

Anyone own a Fiesta ST-3?

A Fiesta ST would run rings around it on a b road.

maybe. I well remember being amazed at how well a very heavy, but short wheel base Moto Guzzi Le Mans did the road between St Ives and St Just I made my own on a light and nimble Single Ducati. Not much in it and both hugely enjoyable. So take nothing for granted:)

I also have a sweet spot for the older shape R26 Megane too ... this is in NI an hour from me https://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/renaultsport-megane-225-f1-team-edition/1438699762
I was the chief engineer for that engine as RenaultSport contracted my previous employer (Ricardo Consulting Engineers) to develop it....took out 4 years of my life and turned my hair grey, but working with the petrolheads at RS was great - my main contact in RS then went on to develop their F1 engines. I still kind of work with them (in a background sort of way) as I help advise the team that develop their F1 fuel.

Looking for a mad hot hatch to pair with the other brute.

I'm yet to read anything bad about the Fiesta ST-3.

Must get a drive in one...preferably a Mountune one and maybe with a tricky diff too :)
Why would anyone, in today's driving environment, want another "mad hot hatch" and then want it more mad?

I hope I never meet someone like that on a public road.

A Fiesta ST would run rings around it on a b road.

As would more or less any car as the 'Bentley' probably would stand by the roadside broken down.

Did I say that out of 26 cars I've had, Fords (4 of them), has been the best European ones.

One downside to ownership, they’re an absolute magnet for dickheads in pimped Vauxhall Corsas.

Cheers BB
To be honest, there is a 'food chain'; owners of Golf Rs, Audi RS3s and other more premium metal are a magnet for dickheads in pimped Fiesta STs.

Yes, I know. Just passing comment on cars with lots of performance and things like lsd and 4wd, things that you can do 1000 times without incident in a conventional car, even a quick one, can break expensive parts of you abuse them in 4wd/lsd cars. Quattros that strip gearbox input shafts and/or clutch plates, or trash dirt bearings, that sort of fun.

Not if designed properly, and the power output is kept stock. Subaru 5mt gearboxes rarely fail on stock cars, but raise them much more than 300ps and they are the weak link. Strangely, not on standing starts - 1st gear OK, but I stripped 2nd & 3rd gears four times under heavy acceleration and cornering load before finally fitting a later/heavier but stronger 6mt.

My current Evo X comes with launch control - floor throttle with clutch depressed and car still and it’ll only rev to mid 4K rpm - drop clutch, hold on, try to keep up with gear changes :) Of limited use in the real world except for scaring passengers, but the whole drivetrain of an Evo is in a different world to a Subaru.

Not if designed properly, and the power output is kept stock. Subaru 5mt gearboxes rarely fail on stock cars, but raise them much more than 300ps and they are the weak link. Strangely, not on standing starts - 1st gear OK, but I stripped 2nd & 3rd gears four times under heavy acceleration and cornering load before finally fitting a later/heavier but stronger 6mt.

My current Evo X comes with launch control - floor throttle with clutch depressed and car still and it’ll only rev to mid 4K rpm - drop clutch, hold on, try to keep up with gear changes :) Of limited use in the real world except for scaring passengers, but the whole drivetrain of an Evo is in a different world to a Subaru.
Good to hear, clearly the manufacturers have done their homework in recent years. I do know that some of the mega -power modern cars have torque limiting technology in lower gears for this very reason.

Why would anyone, in today's driving environment, want another "mad hot hatch" and then want it more mad?

I hope I never meet someone like that on a public road.

Feelings mutual...

I've not had an accident in 20+ years and a clean license.

I've sure as hell had to avoid some mobile accident 'carefull' drivers with zero spacial awareness.

I was the chief engineer for that engine as RenaultSport contracted my previous employer (Ricardo Consulting Engineers) to develop it....took out 4 years of my life and turned my hair grey, but working with the petrolheads at RS was great - my main contact in RS then went on to develop their F1 engines. I still kind of work with them (in a background sort of way) as I help advise the team that develop their F1 fuel.

That's excellent. From what I understand the engines are strong ..the gearboxes aren't.

I’m just not convinced they are as enjoyable as the Press suggest. It’s possible I’ve been spoilt by too many analogue cars though.
You aren't going to get the Elise or Caterham experience with these, not even the previous generation Renaultsport feel - cars these days are a computer game. They will be fun though.

That's excellent. From what I understand the engines are strong ..the gearboxes aren't.
Didn't know that. We had issues with carry-over DMFs failing on the prototype cars but I think that got sorted by Renault as that was their responsibility. Transmissions were a Nissan unit with specially selected ratios to hit target 0-100km time. Can tell you a neat story about that one day involving Carlos Tavares (now Stellantis CEO) who was the Project Director but that's straying off topic.

You aren't going to get the Elise or Caterham experience with these, not even the previous generation Renaultsport feel - cars these days are a computer game. They will be fun though.

I get that, but even my old five series BMW has better steering. The electric rack on my ST wasn’t great.

advertisement

Back