advertisement

Anyone got an e-bike yet?

I know we need to be sensible, then I see this sort of thing, and wouldn’t mind being a complete nutter for a while:

For years I rode a Brompton between Basel station and Sandoz (as it then was), and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm in the market for an e-bike, and I notice that an e-Brompton has now become available. It's rather expensive as e-bikes go, but the stowability appeals to me. Anyone tried one?

Yes and it was rather wonderful but I am a long term Brompton user and thought the way Brompton have integrated this technology was, well, typically Brompton and very clever. If you like their bikes I expect you will love it. The main downside is the limited space in the front bag for luggage as this is where the battery lives but that seems a small price to pay for the convenience of a foldable ebike.... a great way to travel through Sandoz in the Rain.

I see an e-scooter rider has been killed in London, in a crash with a lorry. No clarity on what happened yet, but the reporting did mention that, whatever else happened, e-scooters are illegal for use on roads, pavements or cycle lanes so this could end up being a test case. There have also been concerns about updates to the road layout there so it's likely a number of factors are involved.

The legality or otherwise of the mode of transport of the deceased should not be, is not, relevant.

The legality or otherwise of the mode of transport of the deceased should not be, is not, relevant.

It's not clear from what's in the public domain if it was a factor or not. It will no doubt become relevant in any legal action which follows it i.e. if the lorry driver was at fault (which he might well be) I suspect his defence won't see the legal status of the e-scooter as a non-factor.

I see an e-scooter rider has been killed in London, in a crash with a lorry. No clarity on what happened yet, but the reporting did mention that, whatever else happened, e-scooters are illegal for use on roads, pavements or cycle lanes so this could end up being a test case. There have also been concerns about updates to the road layout there so it's likely a number of factors are involved.
What kind of test case?

Illegal e-stuff is only an issue when the e-rider injures someone. There are no recorded cases of an e-rider killing a truck driver whilst said driver was in his/her truck...

Illegal e-stuff is only an issue when the e-rider injures someone. There are no recorded cases of an e-rider killing a truck driver whilst said driver was in his/her truck...
In my experience with traffic police, there are (or were) plenty of bored fascists stopping me for rubbish reasons like a torn bumper, even too loud music once. I would have expected plenty of them to enjoy nicking scrotes on e-scooters and throwing the book at them for no reg plate, MOT, insurance and license, riding a vehicle on the pavement. I'm sure there are plenty of other offences involved in e-scooter riding in UK public places.

Who cares? Really.
I have never seen one on the road, only seen maybe two elsewhere.
Not so much actually, it is interesting though, these kinds of things are the future. Certainly they are the present in Strasourg. There are thousands of them. Also segways, and those one wheel thingies too. Are they one wheel segways?

There was one on the outer ring road dual carriageway last week. it's a busy, fast road and he was taking up the inside lane like he owned it. Funny to see really.

We have an e-scooter here and it is lethal. The wheels are way too small for the speed it goes.

In my experience with traffic police, there are (or were) plenty of bored fascists stopping me for rubbish reasons like a torn bumper, even too loud music once. I would have expected plenty of them to enjoy nicking scrotes on e-scooters and throwing the book at them for no reg plate, MOT, insurance and license, riding a vehicle on the pavement. I'm sure there are plenty of other offences involved in e-scooter riding in UK public places.
And that deserves a capital sentence?

And that deserves a capital sentence?
sorry, don't understand. what are you getting at? I have had fook the police tattooed into my brain since about the age of 10. I have no problem with people going around on e-scooters.

right....so there are loads about and the police aren't stopping people?

There are absolutely shitloads of the things in London (and in other European cities I've been in like Paris and Amsterdam). No idea if the police are stopping anyone or not though.

advertisement

Back