advertisement

Anyone got an e-bike yet?

zekezebra

pfm Member
Apologies if this has been covered in one if the other cycling threads, did a search and could not find any mention. Anyone taken the plunge a got one of these new fangled e-bikes yet?

Advancing years are stating to make them look atractive.

Paul Rotterdam.

Decameron and I have.

There is a bit of coverage in very fast electric bikes and some other cycling threads. But maybe there is not one just for normal, legal e-bikes.

My thoughts are that the crank motors are the ones to get, Bosch or Yamaha. I have a Bosh currently with 500 watt battery. It is 2 years old now and done maybe 8000 miles. I'll get the Yamaha next time but will wait for them to bring out a 600 watt battery.

Yamaha have just brought out 600w batteries so I guess I wait until 2020 to get last year's bike at a decent price.

Cube possibly has the widest range of bikes and prices can be as low as 1600 quid.

One issue is I didn't really ride mine for 2 months as the restrictor pissed me off. I then bought the Badass tuning device for it and now it is my main form of (illegal) transport. The 15mph limiter is in exactly the wrong place. Town riding means I am constantly at that point so a restricted bike is limiting then releasing all the time. If they were restricted to 20mph, then I probably would not have bought the Badass.

Last edited:
Great things. Don’t mind the limiter or it would make me even lazier. Just back from Scandinavia and everyone’s on those electric scooters now- they go at a hell of a lick, with the occasional fat lad nearly killing pedestrians on the pavement.

These are also everywhere here

50kg of Chinese tat just waiting to crack its frame while applying the brakes at 30mph to stop for a baby in pushchair crossing the zebra. People smoke spliffs while riding them here too. They use the roads, cycle paths and pavements.

The French bacon seem yet to be interested in stopping them so far. Just waiting for that baby to get a face full of the fat tyre I suppose.

Great things. Don’t mind the limiter or it would make me even lazier. Just back from Scandinavia and everyone’s on those electric scooters now- they go at a hell of a lick, with the occasional fat lad nearly killing pedestrians on the pavement.

Good job they are totally illegal for road/pavement use in the UK then.

To answer the original question, no, not yet but was very impressed with the electric Brompton when I tried one a couple of years ago. If I could justify owning one I would be tempted but for now I am going to keep getting a work out on the hills. Where I live there is a steep hill which I end up doing 3-4 mph by the time I reach the top but my neighbour, who is older than me and not a regular cyclist, gets up the same hill at around 13mph - electric bikes seem to flatten out hills.

One problem round here is the lower orders are latching onto these seemingly unregulated (in every sense of the word) electric bikes as a means of transport. I have seen some pretty awful behavior on the roads by these oaf's on overtyred and overpowered electric vehicles. This will no doubt generate a moral panic and then we will end up with some ill considered draconian regulations which would be a shame.

I bought one via a salary sacrifice scheme a couple of months ago. Love it as I am getting some exercise but not killing myself. I reduce the amount of assist compared with the first few days. Mine is a hybrid. My brother has an electric mountain bike which works well off road. Don’t be tempted by cheap e bikes as they are cheap for a reason. The better ones are close to and over two grand I did a lot of research before buying mine. A pity you can’t have a throttle as I find myself having to reduce the amount of assist when changing down at junctions. Doable but you are changing gear and the assist at the same time as braking and paying attention.

The boss bought a Pendleton last year.
Horrid, incredibly heavy, unbalanced pile of tat.
Gave me a hell of a shock when we went out together and she sailed away from me up a hill.

One other thing. I am on mine round town all the time. I take my battery with me if I am leaving it locked up for a while. I wouldn't even dare leave it outside Tesco Express to get a pint of milk in UK.

The batteries are about 600 quid and quite easy to get off if you have the classic version. Newer versions are integrating into the frame better and look less nickable.

Nearly did and tested one just for the pub. They are absolutely great and fantastic in that they open up the outdoors for older people and the unfit. The ones I tried weren't dear at or below 1k but I managed the 20% hill on the way home from the boozer without breaking sweat.
Anyhow got a personal trainer instead.

Nearly did and tested one just for the pub. They are absolutely great and fantastic in that they open up the outdoors for older people and the unfit. The ones I tried weren't dear at or below 1k but I managed the 20% hill on the way home from the boozer without breaking sweat.
Anyhow got a personal trainer instead.

Now there's a good reason to have one! Basically a motorbike you can ride pissed... what's not to like!?

Now there's a good reason to have one! Basically a motorbike you can ride pissed... what's not to like!?

From cycling UK.
It is possible to lose your licence whilst riding a bicycle under the influence however a police officer can request but cannot force you to take a breathalyser test.

Yes - I had a Specialized Turbo. Used for commuting and it was absolutely awesome. Sadly stolen last year.

i’m a keen cyclist, just wanted one for a 20 mile each way commute. The 15.5mph limit is fine if you are a recreational cyclist, if you are a keen cyclist it’s really annoying - I average 18 mpg on my local 30 mile loop on my non-E powered bike. So mine was derestricted.

I’d suggest you try a couple but my preference is a torque based system.

A pity you can’t have a throttle as I find myself having to reduce the amount of assist when changing down at junctions. Doable but you are changing gear and the assist at the same time as braking and paying attention.

This is not clear to me. When I need to slow down at junctions I just use the brakes. No need at all to lower the power setting.

From cycling UK.
It is possible to lose your licence whilst riding a bicycle under the influence however a police officer can request but cannot force you to take a breathalyser test.
It is not possible to lose your driving licence, or to have points put on it, for any offence commited on a bicycle.

advertisement

Back