advertisement

Anyone got an e-bike yet?

You are correct:
"
Wanton and Furious Driving

The offence of wanton and furious driving under s.35 Offences against the Person Act 1861 (OAPA 1861) is committed when bodily harm (i.e. injury) is caused to any person as a result of the manner of driving of a suspect and is not limited to motor vehicles but covers any kind of vehicle or carriage including bicycles.

It is an offence triable only on indictment (except when committed by a youth).

The offence carries a maximum penalty of two years’ imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine. Penalty points and discretionary disqualification can be imposed by the courts under s.28 Road Safety Act 2006.

The offence can only be committed if the driver has a degree of subjective recklessness so far as the foreseeability of causing injury is concerned. In other words, he or she must appreciate that harm was possible or probable because of the manner of driving: see R v Okosi [1996] CLR 666."
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-charging

If you are sensible and keep to a maximum of eight pints or so I find cycling is the best mode of pub transport. Part of our group are on electrics on account of being fat bastards but it's great they can be there. The main hazard is the 20% hill on my way home, luckily quite short, although I do have a c 50% 'hedge bottom' record on the steep bit. Clips don't help here. The winter dark can be a problem because you are in your own little bubble of light so maintaining consciousness is key. We don't have traffic or police so it's not really about getting nicked. In fact the farmer's hold by the strict principle of: "five and drive"

Not true.
Going equipped to steal car (including doing it on a bicycle) can incur 8 points.

Killing someone whilst driving a bike also gets a driving ban.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8197430.stm
A judge, it seems, can ban anyone from driving, regardless of what they are in the dock for. So this argument is a bit pointless.

Anyway, I regularly ride my e-bike having had more than 2 pints. I even gave my mate, Benoit, a croggie home whilst we were both a bit pissed recently.

I'm so rock n' roll I just don't care.

Great things. Don’t mind the limiter or it would make me even lazier. Just back from Scandinavia and everyone’s on those electric scooters now- they go at a hell of a lick, with the occasional fat lad nearly killing pedestrians on the pavement.

There are quite a few of them in London now and they are a menace as they are far, far too fast to be used on the pavement.

Now there's a good reason to have one! Basically a motorbike you can ride pissed... what's not to like!?

If you're doing that then make sure you stick with a restricted one. If unrestricted it's effectively a motor vehicle so you could get a drunk driving ban if caught I think.

Not convinced that cycling drunk is a great idea either though!

I was going to back to motorbikes via a £4000 royal enfield, but decided staying fit made more sense, so have that budget(ish)...I'm think of two for me and the Mrs...too many bits don't work now for normal cycling in a hilly area to be nice. Of the 3 power systems (front wheel, at the crank or rear wheel, I prefer the crank motors, esp the newer ones which are now much better at sensing pedal effort and increasing assistance as required. Rear wheel motors are next best but can out in a LOT of power as you push away, meaning wheelies are quite possible! Fun if expected:) Shimano make the smoothest system IME tho Bosch is close now and Bosch batteries are reputedly longer lasting than the Panasonic or Sony batteries I saw with Shimano motors. There's very little of good quality under 1800 quid, which is where the lower powered (less miles) models tend to lie. A 300 battery claims 70 miles, but divide by 3 for a more realistic average, esp if it's hilly around you. Some 500 systems claim over 150 miles now, which is very sensible if touring.
My fave makes so far are Giant, Volt and Cube, all hybrids but with a huge variety of designs.

Anyway, I regularly ride my e-bike having had more than 2 pints. I even gave my mate, Benoit, a croggie home whilst we were both a bit pissed recently.

I'm so rock n' roll I just don't care.

You may well be very r & r, but just so you know, if the Young Rebel rides drunk across ze border in Germany, the german gestapo can and will stop you if you are visibly drunk in control of, and are happy to arrange your day in court for you, who will then arrange for your car driving licence to be taken until you have successfully passed a psychological test concerning your alcohol consumption.

Do you see a smilie ? Nein.

Well who would have known? PFM never ceases to broaden my horizons. A whole new form of traffic hazard -pissed old blokes on hacked e-bikes.

Indeed, how I look forward to joining their ranks.......................I'm recovering from surgery at the moment and was toying with this....

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2325-hyb-8.9e.html#overview

Does anyone know anything about the drive system? I was pondering how you replace the bottom bracket if it wears out, or do you have to buy a new 'engine' and from the manufactures site it looks like the drive system can go to 400w, one would assume this is restricted to 250w in the UK, anyone know how the additional wattage can be liberated.

Ta

S

Well who would have known? PFM never ceases to broaden my horizons. A whole new form of traffic hazard -pissed old blokes on hacked e-bikes.

There is potential for quite a few charges in that situation. As well as drunk driving there could be stuff about using an unregistered vehicle, an uninsured vehicle, an unlicensed vehicle as well as possibly construction and use issues. If said pissed up old bloke on a electric motorbike (which is what an unrestricted ebike will be viewed as) hit a pedestrian (especially if they were riding on the pavement) then there could be jail-time involved.

With the big upturn in the use of electric vehicles (including scooters and skateboards) then I suspect it's only a matter of time until we see a test case in the courts.

You may well be very r & r, but just so you know, if the Young Rebel rides drunk across ze border in Germany, the german gestapo can and will stop you if you are visibly drunk in control of, and are happy to arrange your day in court for you, who will then arrange for your car driving licence to be taken until you have successfully passed a psychological test concerning your alcohol consumption.

Do you see a smilie ? Nein.
Going across the border is like going from Bath to Hartlepool. It's rough, ugly, tacky, chavvy and dead. I rarely visit it outside work. I got shouted at by the bacon for crossing the road when it was on the red man. I just switched to turbo mode and left him shouting in front of all the other pedestrians.

German bacon appropriately humbled. Fascist.

Going across the border is like going from Bath to Hartlepool. It's rough, ugly, tacky, chavvy and dead. I rarely visit it outside work. I got shouted at by the bacon for crossing the road when it was on the red man. I just switched to turbo mode and left him shouting in front of all the other pedestrians.

German bacon appropriately humbled. Fascist.

Whilst Hartlepool is undoubtedly the British Riviera... Bath ain't that bad!

There are some interesting new Dutch ebikes, some very new and crowdfunded, & less obviously battery powered / more secure :

Van Moof : expensive but excellent (my Porsche hybrid-driving neighbour has one & uses it all the time for going into Amsterdam 20km away for meetings) https://www.vanmoof.com/en_nl/electrified-s2-x2

Watt : new kid on the block, designed for city riding https://www.wattfietsen.nl/us/

Cowboy from Belgium : https://cowboy.com/

Ampler from Germany : https://amplerbikes.com/

Last edited:
There is potential for quite a few charges in that situation. As well as drunk driving there could be stuff about using an unregistered vehicle, an uninsured vehicle, an unlicensed vehicle as well as possibly construction and use issues. If said pissed up old bloke on a electric motorbike (which is what an unrestricted ebike will be viewed as) hit a pedestrian (especially if they were riding on the pavement) then there could be jail-time involved.

With the big upturn in the use of electric vehicles (including scooters and skateboards) then I suspect it's only a matter of time until we see a test case in the courts.
I cant believe an electric scooter has not killed a baby yet. They are everywhere all over Europe.

The rather large middle aged lady that used to take one on the red trail at my local trail centre and sail past on the climbs and then hold everyone up as she crawled through the downhill sections was a massive pain in the arse.

As long as you don't get in my way, though, go for it. :)

For years I rode a Brompton between Basel station and Sandoz (as it then was), and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm in the market for an e-bike, and I notice that an e-Brompton has now become available. It's rather expensive as e-bikes go, but the stowability appeals to me. Anyone tried one?

advertisement

Back