advertisement

Anyone else here a RigB fan?

[QUOTE="harkpabst, post: 5079553, member: 4

The main business of The Audio Files is selling a modified Audio-Technica AT-LP5 turntable, featuring a Rega arm...[/QUOTE]
Thats interesting!
Edit: gosh, I'm slow. It's all over the Internet. Going to have a read up now.

I've just ordered two more VM500 RigsB. Four is a good start. My RigBied VM540 is sounding superb and I think it compares quite favourably to some much more expensive cartridges. Couple that with the price and range of styluses available from SLC to conical and the ease of installation. In value this is up there with a JICO SASsed M97xE.

One of my new RigsB will be converting a VM740. Never did like that gold body. However, it would be interesting to know if most of the sound advantage comes from the gluing. It would be an interesting hack to glue a 740 generator into the body properly. I'm not going to do it because if I go to that effort, I want threaded holes.

However, it would be interesting to know if most of the sound advantage comes from the gluing.
Likely, there is a plastic sleeve/shim on the 740 between the generator canister and the cartridge body, evidently Audio-Technica didn't want the metal to metal contact there.

Likely, there is a plastic sleeve/shim on the 740 between the generator canister and the cartridge body, evidently Audio-Technica didn't want the metal to metal contact there.
If you glue the can to the RigB, there won't be.

I've just found that. Together with the gold paint and alloy body it must account for the price difference ;-) Yes, it can only be there to decouple the canister from the body. There must be a reason why they don't glue them in properly, instead relying on that weedy little bolt, but I'm listening to my RigB5 now and I really don't remember the standard 540 or 740 being this good. Breathtaking dynamics and unlimited detail - no significant downside identifed yet. Maybe the plastic sandwich is there to protect MC sales...

there is a plastic sleeve/shim on the 740 between the generator canister and the cartridge body
Interesting! Not present on the 5xx series body. I glued the canister from a 520 to my black RigB body and it now has a VNM60SLC stylus (on sale for half price last Christmas) - it's working exceedingly well! Unfortunately, I didn't try the setup with the original AT plastic body for a "before" and "after" comparison, as fitting cartridges in and out of my Linn Ekos arm (non detachable headshell) was too much of a pain.

If I understand correctly, the RigB is a worthwhile upgrade on a VM7 series or indeed an AT150MLX?
Has anybody tries the Paratrace on the same cartridge?

Hi all - very tempted to pull the trigger and purchase a RigB body for my VM95ml but just wondered what kind of improvements people found? I realise won’t be life changing, it’s only a Cartridge body!

My system is unmodified 1210 mk 2 - quad 606 mk 2 amp - Croft micro 25 pre amp - Kef R3 speakers.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Hi all - very tempted to pull the trigger and purchase a RigB body for my VM95ml but just wondered what kind of improvements people found? I realise won’t be life changing, it’s only a Cartridge body!

My system is unmodified 1210 mk 2 - quad 606 mk 2 amp - Croft micro 25 pre amp - Kef R3 speakers.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated
its a big upgrade for small bucks...more bass and more settled. just more of everything for little money

I should point ot that the standard 540 is already an exceptionally good cartridge.

On the last day of the Paris Audio-Visual Show I switched from RigB540ML to AT33Sa. My fellow exhibitor and I both preferred the AT33Sa but agreed there wasn't much in it. In value for money, the RigB540ML works out four or five hundred quid cheaper and lasts longer too.

Lurch wil be playing my RigB740ML at the Wam show this weekend.

I took delivery, on Saturday morning, of a RigB with an attached VM95 generator, all strapped to an Audiotechnica HS1 head shell. Ordered via email, paid by bank transfer, & a little more than 48 hours between first email & delivery. All I had to do was transfer the stylus from my pre-existing VM95ML cartridge. Pre-aligned as well !

As a fully paid-up sceptic, I was not ready for the several orders of magnitude of improvement presented to my ears. More bass & better imagery being the first apparent improvements.

advertisement

Back