advertisement

Anyone else here a RigB fan?

I nearly bought one - does that count? lol I'd read good things about it - and liked that you could instal it yourself on an existing cartridge body. Alas, my AT120 body (with VMN40ML stylus) needs a bit of surgery to get into the RigB body. The RigB guys offered to do this more me for free, but I just never managed to get around to having it done. I'm still very intrigued, but will probably wait until I get a more forgiving/easier-to-install AT body (like the VM540 @Jason P has). I have to say that the AT120/VMN40ML combo sounds pretty special as-is.

I'm in the process of having a VM540ML RigB'd by Simon. I probably won't use it immediately but I'll try to post when I do...

Great mod to try for a little dosh you have to say. The VM series with so many options to cut your teeth on if you want to see if you can tell the difference between styli. I’ve a new 95 Shibata that was well bested by a Clearaudio Virtuoso V1 wood but at a considerable premium. I do like the look of wooden bodies; the V2 is v-sexy….

Probably best to pop in the Facebook group and ask.
Can you point us in the right direction for this. I didn't know what group to search for on FB and the article written in Audio appraisal doesn't seem
to either other than a site which makes no mention of the RigB500.

I nearly bought one - does that count? lol I'd read good things about it - and liked that you could instal it yourself on an existing cartridge body. Alas, my AT120 body (with VMN40ML stylus) needs a bit of surgery to get into the RigB body. The RigB guys offered to do this more me for free, but I just never managed to get around to having it done. I'm still very intrigued, but will probably wait until I get a more forgiving/easier-to-install AT body (like the VM540 @Jason P has). I have to say that the AT120/VMN40ML combo sounds pretty special as-is.
I'm curious as to what this modification might be, as the metal can does not appear to have changed at all between the old 100 series and current VM range. The back plate (through which the terminal pins pass) was also fully flush within the back of the can, as these are still with the VM series. The old and new styli are fully interchangeable too, so there should be no impediment there either. Curious.

Should anyone with a current VM model go for a 500 series Rig.B mount, I'd be interested in having your old plastic top plate for the purposes of scientific experiments (yes, I'm serious).

Ok i'll pick this thread up then. I have a couple of VM 540 ML carts. which i love, so i decided to 'RigB' one of them.
I decided to let them do the mod - although apparently its a fairly simple thing to do yourself.

So how did it sound ?

Initially i wasn't sure i was hearing a lot more, but then after more extended listening i felt there was more extension
on either end. Both bass and treble were also more defined and familiar records did seem slightly more detailed and a bit more forward, without being bright.
Basically it added a lot to the character of this range of AT carts and compliments them well. It also has a nice synergy with the slightly darker sound of older Technics decks, which is what i use.

So all in all its not a night and day change ( you have to be realistic about your expectations are in terms of what a 'body' change to a cartridge can do!) but still a subtle lift in performance from these already excellent range of carts.

On a side note I can honestly say that i don't regret selling my LP12 at all a couple of years on and i enjoy listening to records more than ever from a such a simple, lightly modified 1210/AT combo.

I should point out i have no affiliation with Simon or https://theaudiofiles.co.uk/. I simply wanted to try the upgrade for myself.

advertisement

Back