advertisement

Anyone else here a RigB fan?

If the Rig B body upgrade is because it is made of metal, does that imply there is no point in putting one on the 700 series? I thought the 'upgrade', for example from 540ML to 740ML, is basically because the 700 carts have a metal housing. So haven't AT already provided the upgrade, such as it may be?
It's not the same metal body. If that makes a difference ... I can't tell. Most importantly the RigB has captive nuts. Mounting is not only much easier. It's also easier to apply equal and potentially higher force fixing the pickup to the headshell.

If the Rig B body upgrade is because it is made of metal, does that imply there is no point in putting one on the 700 series? I thought the 'upgrade', for example from 540ML to 740ML, is basically because the 700 carts have a metal housing. So haven't AT already provided the upgrade, such as it may be?

I had a Rig B upgrade to a brand new 540ML and preferred it to a very low mileage 740ML.

It's not the same metal body. If that makes a difference ... I can't tell. Most importantly the RigB has captive nuts. Mounting is not only much easier. It's also easier to apply equal and potentially higher force fixing the pickup to the headshell.

I also found the two captive nuts mounting to be much easier than the original 540ML.

I finally broke down and bought the RigB body for my plastic-bodied VM5xx generator. I'm using a VMN760SLC stylus. It replaced my lightly-used Lyra Argo i LOMC cartridge. A direct comparison isn't possible as I changed the phono stage from a NAIM Stageline K with the Lyra to a Lejonklou Slipsik with the RigB/AT. However, the difference wasn't great (maybe a little less "air" and "shimmer' with the MM but much better tracking).

1692567572642_copy_107oddj.jpg

1692567629109_copy_10lkc13.jpg

1692567649658_copy_10h8czn.jpg

Pretty hard to take good pictures of this little gem. It has arrived real quickly and looks immaculate to me.

Before glueing the actual cartridge body into the RigB I decided to apply a little foam damper to the front face. Mainly to give the flippable plastic needle guard something to rest on when not engaged. It may or (rather) may not have a damping effect on the cannister. I don't care too much, I just liked the idea.

1692567672877_copy_10a8c8r.jpg

Can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the finished assembly, but yes, I did. Won't be back home until the end of the week, so there won't be any listening and comparison anyway.

Some background: I did listen to the unmodified VM540ML for quite a while and really liked it. Then somebody insisted I should try the (cheaper) VM95SH instead and I couldn't resist ordering one. However, just a few days later I did also order the VM95 RigB, so effectively my listening experience is totally based on this combo. Much to my surprise I did prefer the VM95SH RigB over the acclaimed VM540ML, indeed.

Now is the time to give the VM540ML RigB another chance to compete. In theory it should have the superior generator. I am also prepared to order a Shibata stylus for the VM5xx body to make it an apples to apples comparison. Even if (again) the VMN 50 SH or ATN 150 Sa should be superior (in theory) to the VMN 95 SH simply due to the tapered cantilever.

I've finally just ordered a couple of VM5** RigsB. I understand some epoxy is supplied, but I wonder whether the glue type matters.

Same question here. I have two carts that use this body form, a VM740 and a 150sa.
Those already have a solid aluminium body though.

Assuming the
Same question here. I have two carts that use this body form, a VM740 and a 150sa.
Those already have a solid aluminium body though.

If you are a bit of a cartridge swapper (I have to be) then the chief reason for buying these is that they are threaded, which saves a lot of time and swearing.

The facebook leanings have probably delayed my buying these by about a year. However, I was able to deal directly with Simon by email. I think it's mainly the facebook emphasis which makes sales seem a bit reluctant. What right-minded person wants to wade through that painfully inept spyware platform?

Saw this when refreshing my memory of the previous page:

After careful consideration, yes it does.

Wait, you say that any business selling on Facebook is questionable, but in the end you still dealt with Simon? What does that say about you?

Nobody has to buy RigBs through Facebook. Any search for "rigb body" will at least lead you to https://www.audioappraisal.com/ an from there you will no doubt be directed to https://theaudiofiles.co.uk/ where you can fill out the contact form. It's not all that hard to find and contact Simon. By now I own three different RigB products and I never ever had to use Facebook for ordering.

Don't get me wrong, I do hate Facebook as much as possible. But anybody complaining should also make sure they don't use Instagram or WhatsApp. I don't.

On a side note (and not to spoil anything), Simon seems to have something in the pipe to make us Rega tonearm owners very happy.

The main business of The Audio Files is selling a modified Audio-Technica AT-LP5 turntable, featuring a Rega arm. From my very own ... errr ... 3 point mount of view it makes perfect sense to take full advantage of this fabulous arm's features and Simon obviously thinks into the same direction ...

Please don't get me wrong - Simon is clearly a gent. Buying from him by email was easy once I got around to it. It's just that I'm used to 'e-commerce' for the lazy and even after joining the Facebook group it wasn't obvious how to proceed and make a purchase.

As well as an upcoming Rega three-point version, there's also a 'TrigB' version either just released, or just about to be, using the Linn pattern three-point fitting. Ideal for the Ekos, the Aro, or the Blackbird.

advertisement

Back