advertisement

Any suggestions for Tony L

Nic P

pfm Member
I am now semi retired and do some business consultancy for small companies and charities (at no charge). I spent some time thinking if I could make any suggestions I could PM to Tony L. I failed to think of a damn thing ... so thought I would throw open the challenge for anyone to make constructive suggestions for improving pfm. I will keep thinking.

Nic P

Less moaning would improve the tone a little.

Look, pfm is the best forum out there by some margin if you want to read a broad range of opinions, have the odd row, have a laugh, pick up some music tips, buy some music and make a few friends.

The only thing close is the US based Steve Hoffman forum.
The others are all either too partisan, fond of bandwagons, overly moderated, ego trips for exiled nutters or just too small to be considered forum communities.

Best way to improve pfm is to leave it be.
It finds it's own way.

Look, pfm is the best forum out there by some margin if you want to read a broad range of opinions, have the odd row, have a laugh, pick up some music tips, buy some music and make a few friends.

The others are all either too partisan, fond of bandwagons, overly moderated, ego trips for exiled nutters or just too small to be considered forum communities.

It finds it's own way.

Hear, hear.

Chris

I also agree with Robert. For example I suspect the record shop would do more business if it had a higher profile, but the relatively low key aspect of commerciality on pfm is one of the many joys.
There are constant minor tweaks here, but they seem to be carefully thought out & usually low key.

Split the off topic rooms to 'normal' and 'trotskyite batsh1t left' to help google place their ads more effectively.

Ban discussions about amps because they all sound the same

Ban discussions about cables because they all sound the same

Ban discussions about speakers because they all sound different in different rooms.

Ban discussions about Dacs because they all sound the same.

This should save bandwidth in the audio room.

Charge a sellers premium for classifieds, along with a buyers premium, and include a 10 minute warranty from point of despatch.

Anyway, a good balance of selfish commercial enterprise combined with a practical authoritarian stance, sort of 80s nostalgic.

Introduce a range of T shirts,

I like Naim/I hate Naim
I like Linn/I hate Linn
Get a life - Get a cable

Also, it would be nice to get more emails asking if I'd like to make a donation to pfm, would I like to see the new selection of T shirts, mouse mats, LPs, CDs, come to our late night shopping event on wednesday, and special sale weekends. OK, maybe not:)

On a more serious note, perhaps the following:

Get hold of more records for the store so we can buy more lazily.

Offer new albums for sale, I'd rather buy/pre order say the new Bowie album from Tony rather than Amazon or whatever.

Robert, that is most unkind. You have spoiled Nic's thread. it's all over now.
Don't worry Nic start another.

I think Tony should get some better records in to sell, more Minimal Techno and Post Rock and less HoW is it.

DS

Create a visual catalogue of the items he has up for sale. Much of what I buy in record shops I buy on the strength of gut feel and cover artwork, without a picture part of my reason to buy is missing.

People buy with their eyes, sales 101

Create a visual catalogue of the items he has up for sale. Much of what I buy in record shops I buy on the strength of gut feel and cover artwork, without a picture part of my reason to buy is missing.

That makes a lot of sense.

Nic P

I think that's a very good idea although it may not be so practical. I'd love to see a list of album covers here.

Mick

It finds it's own way.

Plus however many it takes.

This is the most balanced forum about for our type of fellow.

Nic, if you're still getting upset you could start your own forum.

Most people are happy with this one I imagine.

I think that's a very good idea although it may not be so practical. I'd love to see a list of album covers here.

It's not practical as I'd have to dramatically increase the prices due to the additional time required photographing and listing stuff, and if I could be arsed doing that I may as well get top-dollar on eBay as inevitably some stuff would go through the roof there! Plus vBulletin just isn't setup for this kind of thing either, so it would mean buying a whole shop back-end package etc. To be honest I sell vinyl at about the speed I can find it anyway, I don't want it to grow any faster than that - the record business is not the main income stream here, most is via advertising (Google, VigLink, Trade Accounts etc). Vinyl is getting harder to find of late too, so if anything I expect the shop to contract rather than expand unless I get offered some good collections cheaply.

It's not practical as I'd have to dramatically increase the prices due to the additional time required photographing and listing stuff, and if I could be arsed doing that I may as well get top-dollar on eBay as inevitably some stuff would go through the roof there! Plus vBulletin just isn't setup for this kind of thing either, so it would mean buying a whole shop back-end package etc. To be honest I sell vinyl at about the speed I can find it anyway, I don't want it to grow any faster than that - the record business is not the main income stream here, most is via advertising (Google, VigLink, Trade Accounts etc). Vinyl is getting harder to find of late too, so if anything I expect the shop to contract rather than expand unless I get offered some good collections cheaply.

A fair and comprehensive answer- thanks Tony!

Mick

advertisement

Back