advertisement

Any Innuos users here?

So anyway... I was happily ripping a 10 CD box set of Mozart Piano Concertos... (Concerti?) by Vladimir Ashkhenazy.. on the Decca 'London' label. Although the Innuos 'Disc Ripper' found the correct artist, track title and length etc., etc.. it managed to apply cover art from the box set to only about four of the discs.. and cover art for Alfred Brendel.. on Phillips.. to the rest. Quite bizarre.

Yeah - I know what you mean. It did this to me with and ABBA box set - I quickly learned how to change cover art in Roon, and also link multiple Cd's to one album.

Sounds handy.. except I'm not using Roon..:(

I know how to change cover art in the Zen's music library, but haven't yet found the right image. Not sure if there's a way of 'sharing'. It's not a big deal but it's very puzzling.

Yeah - I know what you mean. It did this to me with and ABBA box set - I quickly learned how to change cover art in Roon, and also link multiple Cd's to one album.

Be aware that Roon does not actually change the cover art of a rip - it doesn’t update files in any way. It changes the art associated with the rip in its own database. This means that if you moved away from Roon in the future you would lose all the changes you have made inside Roon. OTOH if you use tools like dBpoweramp or foobar then any changes you make to cover art, or any other tag, are made to the file itself and are thus portable, usable by other apps etc..

So anyway... I was happily ripping a 10 CD box set of Mozart Piano Concertos... (Concerti?) by Vladimir Ashkhenazy.. on the Decca 'London' label. Although the Innuos 'Disc Ripper' found the correct artist, track title and length etc., etc.. it managed to apply cover art from the box set to only about four of the discs.. and cover art for Alfred Brendel.. on Phillips.. to the rest. Quite bizarre.

There is a free tool called MusicBrainz Picard which you can use to quickly tidy up this sort of thing. I’m guessing it’s one of these sets...

https://musicbrainz.org/release/145dfa47-5d1c-439a-8975-473e1fe118a5
https://musicbrainz.org/release/1b0a1d73-c0c1-4c66-ba22-3b771f1770f4

Be aware that Roon does not actually change the cover art of a rip - it doesn’t update files in any way. It changes the art associated with the rip in its own database. This means that if you moved away from Roon in the future you would lose all the changes you have made inside Roon. OTOH if you use tools like dBpoweramp or foobar then any changes you make to cover art, or any other tag, are made to the file itself and are thus portable, usable by other apps etc..

That's not entirely correct, Andy. roon by default uses it own database BUT there's option(s) in settings to use local, or prioritise local over roon and merge the info etc. The settings are very useful, allowing a good tailored result and clears up allot of the guff thrown at you in default mode.

Very happy with the Mk2 Zenith I've been using for over 2 years. I do think the sound with the SSD rather than HD of the Zen, is a lot better. So it sounds great and is so easy to use and to rip. I haven't used Melco or Aurender, but understand ripping is more complicated and takes longer.

I ripped some favourite CDs on WAV and FLAC and couldn't convince myself of an enormous difference. Some have commented on the extra cost of a 2TB SSD, well I've got over 2300 CDs on 1 TB and am up to 89% capacity. That should be enough for most of us.

To remind Zenith users, the standalone REclocking unit from the Statement, should be available soon. I'm not sure how much better it will sound, it will need to be a lot better, as I understand it will cost around £2000. I'll give it a try.

That's not entirely correct, Andy. roon by default uses it own database BUT there's option(s) in settings to use local, or prioritise local over roon and merge the info etc. The settings are very useful, allowing a good tailored result and clears up allot of the guff thrown at you in default mode.

Yes, but the point I was making is that if you override Roon with your own choice of tag that change is only kept in Roons local database, it is not written back to your files. So if you want to use your files anywhere else they will not reflect the changes you have made. So there are advantages in using a tag editor to edit any tags you don’t like in your own files, and then telling Roon to use those tags rather than its own.

Yes, but the point I was making is that if you override Roon with your own choice of tag that change is only kept in Roons local database, it is not written back to your files. So if you want to use your files anywhere else they will not reflect the changes you have made. So there are advantages in using a tag editor to edit any tags you don’t like in your own files, and then telling Roon to use those tags rather than its own.

Totally agree, it’s exactly the way I have mine setup. First all tagging and editing via dbpoweramp then import to roon and use local meta as primary source.

I even have a script written within dbpoweramp's 'DSP Effects/ID Tag Processing/settings' which auto populates, deletes and amends the fields exactly as i require right down the the artwork pixel size, capitalization techniques and bracket styles.. I can do my whole 1500+ library within a few simple clicks of the mouse.

Last edited:
I ripped some favourite CDs on WAV and FLAC and couldn't convince myself of an enormous difference.

The advantage of FLAC is not in audio quality, but apart from the more efficient use of space and I/O capacity, FLAC provides proper, standardized metadata/tagging and content integrity checksums to detect bit rot.

Great thread, I have two queries regarding the Innuos that someone might shine a light on.
The first is how does it sound to a good CD player of similr cost.
The second is that I have a NAS with over 8 TB of cd and hi res music, can this be played through the Zen and is there any noticable differance in sound quality compared to the Zen's internal drives.

Great thread, I have two queries regarding the Innuos that someone might shine a light on.
The second is that I have a NAS with over 8 TB of cd and hi res music, can this be played through the Zen and is there any noticable differance in sound quality compared to the Zen's internal drives.
Like any UPnP server, it can find music on other network drives and play it. I wouldn’t expect this to sound significantly different from internal storage on a decent network.

You can use NAS storage to supplement the built-in storage. I never tried to compare the sound of built-in vs NAS storage. Theoretically, they should sound the same or as near as makes no difference.

I run a Zenith (was £2200) in our demo room and I can say that it is close to my 2 x Marantz CD10s test CD players but not better. I have yet to hear any digital server/streamer better the sound of a good CD player/Transport into one of our Tron DACs.

I run a Zenith (was £2200) in our demo room and I can say that it is close to my 2 x Marantz CD10s test CD players but not better. I have yet to hear any digital server/streamer better the sound of a good CD player/Transport into one of our Tron DACs.

Both a decent CD player and a competent digital streamer will deliver the audio data unchanged to the DAC...

thanks for your honesty, both have their appeal but I still have a fondness for CD'S but often wondered..

How easy is it to switch the Innuos between a Roon endpoint, and iPlayer catchup?

Yeah but how many 24 bit CDs do you have?

advertisement

Back