advertisement

Another top 100, this time from Apple Music

Indeed. Then again, Apple pick some overblown Kanye nonsense (presumably just for Nicki Minaj’s verse on ‘Monster)’, and not our boy Han Bennink’s early-70s solo album, Nerve Beats. Amateurs.
Shamefully I've not explored Han's sporadic solo discography. Though he did once tell me I was "very tall". High praise from the giant from the Lowlands.

I've got 45 ish ( a quick and not methodical count). The ones I'm missing tend to be hip hop/ R&B, or noisier rock. ( Rage, AC/DC. NiN, G&R etc)

I like this list. It feels more democratic and not just compiled by critics who've grown up on the mainly white rock canon. It's also fascinating how tastes change and affect these lists. Abbey Road as the best Beatles record - and no White Album? Exodus as Marley best record not Natty Dread? MADD City as Kendrick Lamars best record over Butterfly?

I'm not that fussed about the rockier stuff I don't have but I'm going to spend the next few days exploring the hip hop I don't know or haven't heard to see what I've been missing.

I still don't get Songs int he Key of Life being rated the best Stevie Wonder record. I've got a friend who is 20 years younger than me who says this its one of the best records ever not just Wonder's best For me, his best record has always been Talking Book.

And I'm definitely getting the Lauren Hill record out for a play - it's been years! Id never considered that as one of the great records although it has got some favourite tracks on it.

I still don't get Songs int he Key of Life being rated the best Stevie Wonder record. I've got a friend who is 20 years younger than me who says this its one of the best records ever not just Wonder's best For me, his best record has always been Talking Book.

fully agree with your opinion there - I have Songs In The Key of Life, which I have had for decades, but I find Innervisions or Talking Book to be a better listen. S.i.t.k.o.life feels like it could be cut to a single album to my ears.

Lucky 13 for me. Of those 13, London Calling is the only one I've listened to in the past 10 years. That A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue are the sole albums by Coltrane and Davis is an strong indication that the list is pretty lame.

Lots of "meh" in there for me I'm afraid, and as somebody pointed out above it has a large slant towards American music. Which in itself is not a bad thing, I could list a few hundred incredible American albums but only about 5 made this list lol.
Somebody posted above and said Apple were trolling with Bad Bunny, but the biggest troll was surely V U and Nico only being at No 60 when it's easily top 5 in my book, if not top of the pile some days. Second biggest trolling is Ziggy being the highest rated Bowie album, when for most Bowie fans that I know it's barely a top 5 album of his, terrific album though it is. Again this album being so highly rated in an Apple list is probably the American slant on things.
Looking at the list for me it's not how many you have or had, it's how many would you still play. And for me that amount would struggle to reach double figures.

32 here - these lists often include recent “hot” artists whose importance seems to wane when the next list is drawn up in a few years time….

advertisement

Back