advertisement

Another top 100, this time from Apple Music

Tony L

Administrator
An interesting list. All the ‘dad/granddad rock’ one always sees in these lists is still there, but it is falling downwards and some fairly recent stuff fairly high up. As ever I find these things utterly absurd, but still interesting somehow.

PS I’ve got 40 of them. The good ones, obviously.

Very poor showing from Germany, just Trans Europe Express.

A very odd list in many respects, e.g. no Joy Division, no Doors, no Aphex Twin, no Marquee Moon, no disco, and obviously missing around 10 Fall albums. I guess it is quite American, but even through that lens it doesn’t quite scan right. These things never do though. Interesting anyway.

An interesting list
Yeah, I rather like it.

30 for me, plus quite a lot more that I’ve heard or used to have. I have the Lauryn Hill, though haven’t played it all for ages.

Of recent releases, Frank Ocean’s Blonde (and / or his Channel Orange) deserves its high position. Not sure what he’s up to these days…

54 here, mostly LP but some on CD. Quite a few aren't for me but they must be someone's cup of tea.

Ha ha, that’s the spirit. 50 Cent’s debut is just above Patti Smith’s Horses, ya know.

Above both of those, try SZA’s very recent (and very good) SOS...

(Yup, that’s J. Bieber.)
I’m not a fan of 50 Cent, I don’t listen to rap/hip hop that much anymore, I fell out with it in the 90s as it just seemed so derivative.

I fail to see how Adele could be anywhere near a top 1000.

51 for me. All these things are tosh but this one was interesting as there were quite a high number (double figures) where I was thinking that the album wasn’t even the best album by that artist.

I have more than 50% of those, the other 40 odd percent I have never listened to.. just goes to show that music tastes and record collections are organically grown through meetings with friends, recommendations from other friends and radio play to a certain extent. Thankfully that rather than a computer, or a list, such as this, telling me what I should listen to.

We are so lucky to have been the generation to see and hear these artists creating these amazing albums, music, and bands especially, will never have a better, more perfect period to create. Period.

I have 19. It seems clear that jazz is becoming more niche.
I think Apple are trolling a little, especially with things like Bad Bunny, so it’s disappointing that their token jazz picks are so tame, and not Alan Silva’s Seasons or something even wilder.

I think Apple are trolling a little, especially with things like Bad Bunny, so it’s disappointing that their token jazz picks are so tame, and not Alan Silva’s Seasons or something even wilder.
I was at least hoping that PFM Dinner Jazz fave Machine Gun would have registered.

I was at least hoping that PFM Dinner Jazz fave Machine Gun would have registered.

Indeed. Then again, Apple pick some overblown Kanye nonsense (presumably just for Nicki Minaj’s verse on ‘Monster’), and not our boy Han Bennink’s early-70s solo album, Nerve Beats. Amateurs.

advertisement

Back