advertisement

Another streamer question

Been checking them out. Most of al these options don’t have a usb-output. The Node has, I believe, but the others don’t. USB. Is supposed to be the best connection to the JOB.

Hadn't heard/read that. Forum consensus somewhere?

Probably wouldn't argue though, I preferred the Job's USB input to that in my CEC CD5 (which costs considerably more), whereas I prefer the integrated player to taking an S/PDIF output to the Job. Mind you, there are quite a few variables in there, so hard to draw absolute conclusions.

@No Quarter that seems promising! Only downside seems to be that there are quite a few items out there that have connection problems.

I don't want a computer-based system
I don’t think the Zen would be considered a computer based system, more like a network bridge. I only got it up and running yesterday, but so far I like it a lot. I have been reading as much info as I can find on it, plus watching YouTube videos to try and get to know the unit better. Today I might try the Mconnect App with it, no idea if I even need that really since IFI has its own App now. Tidal seems to be working well so far, a couple of times it seemed to cut out for a second, then resumed playing though.

OK I appreciate it's simple - I just wonder if you have the best sound quality from a source like a CCA - nothing more, wondering if you have tried anything else further up the food chain in order to check and see if an appreciable SQ boost can be obtained over and above your little plastic puck?
Hey BMU. To my ears there is very little to nothing between the CCA and the Primare Np5 into My Soncoz SGD1.

Hey BMU. To my ears there is very little to nothing between the CCA and the Primare Np5 into My Soncoz SGD1.

Yes I recall you saying that before - perhaps a dedicated psu on the NP5 will help. Either way - you enjoy the CCA so what does it matter :)

@notevenclose you have a JOB Int? I remember reading about the USB-input somewhere. Do you use a streamer?

I do, for coming up for 4 years IIRC. Mine is one of the later models with an 'unadulterated' analogue input, I understand early production models converted everything to digital, which, rationally or not, I was a bit wary of.

Nope, no streamer, I've used it via USB with a first generation Melco music server, a Mac mini and even an Airport Express (via Toslink), admittedly the latter only added to provide some background music while I unpacked everything after a recent house move.

Nice! I just had to have one as I missed my 225+pre. The INT is supposed to be in the same ballpark, so should be awesome!

Yes I recall you saying that before - perhaps a dedicated psu on the NP5 will help. Either way - you enjoy the CCA so what does it matter :)
The only way in which it matters is that through sharing my experience I can hopefully prevent others making the same mistake. Anyway, please don't think I'm having a go at you.....

Nice! I just had to have one as I missed my 225+pre. The INT is supposed to be in the same ballpark, so should be awesome!

It's an interesting amp. It has its shortcomings like everything else, but it's been here 4 years and isn't likely to be leaving any time soon, so for the money I think it was something of a bargain. I think I paid just over 1500 quid direct from Goldmund, including import duty.

For most of the last 20 years, my preference was always for relatively low-powered amps and relatively efficient, easy to drive speakers, so the Job was a bit of a left turn; I downsized from house to flat and from 4 box floorstanders with external crossovers to a speaker I can sit in the palm of my hand, but which needed a bit more juice than was normal for me.

Ironically I'm now back in a house, with a bigger room, and while I could accommodate a larger system again I'm quite happy with what I've got, in fact the system's now settled down and is really singing.

The INT would likely only leave if I changed the speakers, but to be honest none of that's on the cards in the foreseeable future.

Enjoy your amp.

Does anybody have any experience with the Audiolab 6000N? The same price as the Zen Stream and the Aries LE, but with a (not needed) DAC. No reviews about connection problems with that unit. Also no USB-out, but that would not be a definite no-go.

Does anybody have any experience with the Audiolab 6000N? The same price as the Zen Stream and the Aries LE, but with a (not needed) DAC. No reviews about connection problems with that unit. Also no USB-out, but that would not be a definite no-go.
Do a Google, it uses Play-Fi which had/has issues with gapless. Search over on AVF.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/audiolab-6000n-arghhhhhh.2336784/

I’ve been through many streamers over the years, around £500 I’d go Node2i or Aries Mini forget the psu if not using analogue out or a Pi like the Allo Signature in the metal case.

Interesting from someone in the trade. The mini of course is discontinued so may be a risk in that respect.

Not the first time I've heard similar 'off the record' comments from a dealer. The more cynical might surmise the mini was discontinued because it was cannibalising the sales of their more expensive offerings.

advertisement

Back