advertisement

Another streamer question

That might make a difference as to whether I buy one. Although I don’t like buying based on ‘promised’ features.

I have a Node 2i that I use with a Tipping D90SE.
Sounds great to me.

I have done the power upgrades to the Node2i. It’s quite impressive sounding post upgrade. The internal power supply is a little noisy, abs benefits for an upgrade.

So I finally found a JOB Int amp. The only thing I need now is a decent streamer. I solely use Spotify, Radio Paradise and other radio stations. The JOB has a decent dac on-board, so I was looking at Auralic Aries LE (used) or the Ifi Zen Stream. Both are supposed to be a lot better than the Node 2i. Budget is around E 500. Any thoughts on this?

Auralic work well over Wi-Fi (they prefer it) if you are considering the connection method (Ethernet or Wireless).

The Node 2i has one of the best interfaces around but we will dismiss this because you are looking to get the best sound quality possible from the source, from which you have investigated already to be bettered by your couple of examples. And Bluesound do cheesy presentations at Hi-Fi shows like Bose used to do.

The aforementioned SBT is great - but will this really sound better than even a Node 2i?

Again, is the Auralic Mini better than the Node 2i? I think you are looking for a big step up from the budget wonders - that would be my guess.

For streaming I just plug a long usb cable in to my laptop from my dac, job done. I put my laptop on a small table next to my sofa. I stream from Amazon, Spotify, Radio Paradise and BBC radio. I like the idea of a streamer but surely you need a display too and it all looks a lot of hassle compared to above, but I may be missing something....

Are you happy to ‘tinker’? (At the set up stage only, once up & running it really shouldn’t need much/any tinkering).
if yes, what about a Raspberry Pi4 using either Moode (my software of choice), Volumio or one of many others - USB out to your amp. Control by android device, IPad, etc via web browser. Connection via WiFi or set up a ‘hot spot’.
if no, then despite the staggeringly low price, then a Pi probably is not the ideal solution for you.
hope this helps in some way.
By the way, I’m a happy Pi user and have progressed from using USB out on the Pi, to eventually settling on my current set up which is the Pi with an add-on board with co-ax out to my DAC.

If you have a router nearby you can use a Pi down to a 2 that cost peanuts, no need for a 3 or 4 editions, in practise they offer a WiFi connection that isn’t needed. Get a cheap hat for the Pi with optical output as an option and you will be able to connect with any DAC. Use Moode as it’s good and comes with fifty-ish internet stations built in.
Just do it ;)

I picked up the Ifi Zen stream on Friday, I had been using my Laptop since trading in my Naim Nd5xs2>Mscaler>TT2 to upgrade my speakers. I have a Musical Fidelity MX Dac right now until I can afford to upgrade that.
The Zen to my ears is a big increase in sound over the Laptop, I am no computer geek, so I was seeking a little upgrade to the source without having to build a Pi4 with no skills with these things.
Right away I started streaming Tidal via Airplay easily enough, and was bobbing my head, tapping my feet like a true ex Naim user. This little thing might be all I need with an upgraded Dac, rather than an expensive server…time will tell.

Today, iPad is an exceptional streaming solution. Streaming apps are light and agile and bitrates are handled automatically - auto-wasapi.

Simple lightning to USB adapter with power is all you need to connect to the DAC of your choice - maybe with a powered USB hub in some cases.

@No Quarter that seems promising! Only downside seems to be that there are quite a few items out there that have connection problems.

I don't want a computer-based system; I have one already (with LMS). Just a simple streamer to use Spotify-connect and radio. But one of good quality. The Zen seems perfect. But for the same money I can get a used Auralic Aries LE with Sbooster. Would that be better? Easy to use is mandatory, but what can go wrong with Spotify Connect...?

In your main rig? And with what amp and speakers ?

Yes. For years. Works flawlessly and is a Roon endpoint (24/96).

They hang of the back of my Hegel, Arcam & Audiolab using their DAC's respectively (even straight out the CCA into the amp works fine).

Speakers are from Quad.

Simples.

Yes. For years. Works flawlessly and is a Roon endpoint (24/96).

They hang of the back of my Hegel, Arcam & Audiolab using their DAC's respectively (even straight out the CCA into the amp works fine).

Speakers are from Quad.

Simples.

OK I appreciate it's simple - I just wonder if you have the best sound quality from a source like a CCA - nothing more, wondering if you have tried anything else further up the food chain in order to check and see if an appreciable SQ boost can be obtained over and above your little plastic puck?

@No Quarter that seems promising! Only downside seems to be that there are quite a few items out there that have connection problems.

I don't want a computer-based system; I have one already (with LMS). Just a simple streamer to use Spotify-connect and radio. But one of good quality. The Zen seems perfect. But for the same money I can get a used Auralic Aries LE with Sbooster. Would that be better? Easy to use is mandatory, but what can go wrong with Spotify Connect...?

I don't think Auralic does Spotify Connect <-- sorry I was about to post this and see that you can!

OK I appreciate it's simple - I just wonder if you have the best sound quality from a source like a CCA - nothing more, wondering if you have tried anything else further up the food chain in order to check and see if an appreciable SQ boost can be obtained over and above your little plastic puck?

The SQ I get is determined by the DAC's I use.

advertisement

Back