advertisement

Another streamer question

The Aries LE I'm looking at only has digital out. Is the better PSU bollocks? I read about giant differences by better PSU's everywhere...
Try it and see. I’ve heard differences adding power supplies, a Naim 202 improved a fair old bit adding a TeddyCap Plus, defo a grin moment but on the Aries Mini digital out the official Auralic LPS made no audible difference, was into a Naim nDAC and a Chord. The wall wart is a bit naff so for build/looks alone if you’re paying reasonable money for it the Auralic PSU would be worth getting. There’s a full fat Aries + PSU going for £790 if it’s still there at Audio Emotion.

Only my opinion but a lot of these black and white/massive differences you read about are exaggerations. I bought the Auralic G2 Clock rrp £8k and lent it to a mate who heard an improvement on DSD, I heard much less of a difference, the reviews claimed it was a big step forward. I leave a piece of gear in place for a while - if I miss it a week after it’s been removed it goes back in, if not it gets moved to the office or sold.

The Aries LE I'm looking at only has digital out. Is the better PSU bollocks? I read about giant differences by better PSU's everywhere...

In principle, you'll never go wrong with a better PSU. After all, in one sense, that's all your system is.

In practice, it's not quite so straightforward. I've heard 'better' PSUs make a worthwhile difference (eg. Meridian 103, Project RS Series, original Naim CD5) but I've also encountered cases where the improvements were marginal at best and of no consequence 20 minutes later. And I've heard additional PSUs make things worse (Cyrus), good for the comedic effect of the expression on the dealer's face if nothing else.

I once added an external linear PSU to a Mac mini, very reasonably priced at more than the mini itself, difference was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and the PSU transformer got on my tits by humming like buggery. It didn't last long.

A more recent effort with a Mac mini yielded better results with a better spec machine, a lot more RAM, better software, and some fancy cabling. But I've never experienced a 'night and day' difference, nor would I expect to unless something really was a dud bit of design.

advertisement

Back