advertisement

Another problem for Boeing 737 Max

I don’t know. When you look at the technical evolution every car model goes through from the day of its launch until the end of production say seven years later, it is hardly conceivable that an aircraft is perfect from day one. It can already be very good, but expecting perfection from the onset is not realistic.

Of course many backup systems and procedures help keeping the number of incidents as low as possible. I wouldn’t want to hear of all the incidents happening every day on planes around the world, I bet that Airbus etc. also experience their frightening moments, but currently the focus is on the max only.

The incidents you see in the media are a tiny tip of a very large iceberg. Most of the iceberg contains all those near-misses I/we see at work most days, as well as the incidents that make it into the papers. (Another Top Tip: don’t believe anything the papers report, it will be almost entirely incorrect. Obvs)

My understanding was that this was a blanking panel, not an actual door, so there shouldn’t be latches. Nor a door.

Also, the aircraft had only been in service for a couple of months. Unlikely any maintenance would have been expected on this panel/door by then.
A senior NTSB retired inspector explained on CNN that maintenance involving change of seat locations in the plane could have required the removal of the panel. TBC.

Could have, but the emergency doors are smaller, and usually you would take the seats through the main doors.

My understanding was that this was a blanking panel, not an actual door, so there shouldn’t be latches. Nor a door.
I often try to book (emergency) exit rows just so I am afforded a bit more legroom. Judging by the first YouTube image in post #31, it doesn't appear (to my eyes at least) that was an emergency exit as there is a row of seats blocking egress. So the explanation of a blanking panel in lieu of a door makes sense. Surely aircraft types are certified for operation based on standard design, which I imagine should include operational emergency exits. The removal of emergency exits, presumably to accommodate an extra row of seats, doesn't make sense to me.

I often try to book (emergency) exit rows just so I am afforded a bit more legroom. Judging by the first YouTube image in post #31, it doesn't appear (to my eyes at least) that was an emergency exit as there is a row of seats blocking egress. So the explanation of a blanking panel in lieu of a door makes sense. Surely aircraft types are certified for operation based on standard design, which I imagine should include operational emergency exits. The removal of emergency exits, presumably to accommodate an extra row of seats, doesn't make sense to me.
There are regulations dictating when it is acceptable to do so. Don’t worry about it.

The emergency exit that was blocked off is one that is available for the aircraft if it is in a high capacity configuration.
You do not need it if you are not cramming the maximum amount of passengers in.

Apparently that exit is not required with that airlines max capacity (189?) - on other variants with a capacity of 220 or so that exit is active.

Now that the planes are grounded, they still travel:

1399a9f097a7ef93632c7b729ade5da5.png

No, the pic isn't a fake. That's how the 737 fuselages travel from the factory in Kansas to the main assembly plant in Washington.

No, the pic isn't a fake. That's how the 737 fuselages travel from the factory in Kansas to the main assembly plant in Washington.
Wow! That's a long way! Washington state, I take it, as in Seattle? Good use of a train though, it doesn't have to be there in 5 minutes and they are big ungainly things too big for roads.

The door plug is reported to be found. The door locks will be suspect. This will be interesting to see in the report.

Alaska Airlines placed restrictions on the Boeing plane involved in a dramatic mid-air blowout after pressurisation warnings in the days before Friday's incident, investigators say.
The jet had been prevented from making long-haul flights over water, said Jennifer Homendy of the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).
The NTSB also says the missing section of plane has now been found - in the back garden of a Portland teacher.
No-one was hurt in Friday's drama.

Speaking at a news conference, Ms Homendy said pilots reported pressurisation warning lights on three previous flights made by the specific Alaska Max 9 involved in the incident.
The decision to restrict lengthy flights over water was so that the plane "could return very quickly to an airport" in the event the warnings happened again, the NTSB chief added.
It is not clear if there is a link between the issues that led to those warnings, and the issue that caused the blowout on 5 January.

Alaska Airlines placed restrictions on the Boeing plane involved in a dramatic mid-air blowout after pressurisation warnings in the days before Friday's incident, investigators say.
The jet had been prevented from making long-haul flights over water, said Jennifer Homendy of the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).
The NTSB also says the missing section of plane has now been found - in the back garden of a Portland teacher.
No-one was hurt in Friday's drama.

Speaking at a news conference, Ms Homendy said pilots reported pressurisation warning lights on three previous flights made by the specific Alaska Max 9 involved in the incident.
The decision to restrict lengthy flights over water was so that the plane "could return very quickly to an airport" in the event the warnings happened again, the NTSB chief added.
It is not clear if there is a link between the issues that led to those warnings, and the issue that caused the blowout on 5 January.

Your pasted paragraphs leave out that the recent faults were to do with cabin conditioning (air con/pressurisation) and nothing to do with a plug popping out.

With the emergency exit door in question already fitted.

Your pasted paragraphs leave out that the recent faults were to do with cabin conditioning (air con/pressurisation) and nothing to do with a plug popping out.
What we don't know is what those warnings were about. I could imagine, for instance, if the pressurisation was working harder than expected to maintain cabin altitude, that might be relevant.

What we don't know is what those warnings were about. I could imagine, for instance, if the pressurisation was working harder than expected to maintain cabin altitude, that might be relevant.
I very much doubt it. When flying at 37,000ft with a cabin altitude of 8,000ft, the pressure differential is huge. At 16,000ft, relatively, it’s tiny.

But as ever, let’s see. If this was an old aircraft, the probables would be very different.

advertisement

Back