advertisement

Another problem for Boeing 737 Max

Out of about 1,400 737 Max aircraft, two have crash, one has had this happen.

The two crashes were properly investigated, eventually, and there haven’t been any concerns since.

This latest incident may well be a one off. We won’t know until the investigation makes its findings known.

Don’t like it? Don’t fly.
Unnecessarily belligerent reply. You know full well that those two crashes were entirely preventable had Boeing been honest and competent.
Last time I flew was Feb 2023. Jet 2 to Tenerife on a 737-800, whatever that is.

Unnecessarily belligerent reply. You know full well that those two crashes were entirely preventable had Boeing been honest and competent.
Last time I flew was Feb 2023. Jet 2 to Tenerife on a 737-800, whatever that is.
But those two crashes are done and dusted. The focus shouldn’t be on them. Unless you’re senior management at Airbus!

No way I'd fly on a 737 max after the two crashes prior to this even after it's redesign. This near disaster should be the end of this cursed plane now surely. Boeing are clearly now incompetent in their safety standards, or designing.

As a passenger when booking a ticket, do you have any indication of what plane you'll be flying on? I last flew before 9/11 so have no idea nowadays.

Capt
This is probably more of an assembly issue, and it could well be a one off.
I would expect the airworthiness authorities will mandate inspections on the other similar aircraft, to ensure that these “blanking panels” are properly installed.

This is probably more of an assembly issue, and it could well be a one off.
I would expect the airworthiness authorities will mandate inspections on the other similar aircraft, to ensure that these “blanking panels” are properly installed.
Or a design error where this panel fixing fatigues or gradually works loose every flight. The authorities are supposed to be very suspicious and cautious in this kind of incident. It's up to Boeing to prove that it was a one off error and then how to prevent it happening again.

Out of about 1,400 737 Max aircraft, two have crashed, one has had this happen.

The two crashes were properly investigated, eventually, and there haven’t been any concerns since.

This latest incident may well be a one off. We won’t know until the investigation makes its findings known.

Don’t like it? Don’t fly.
Also, the media are particularly hungry of any incident happening in a max, such news sell. Boeing can’t do anything right at the mo whatever they do.

Or a design error where this panel fixing fatigues or gradually works loose every flight. The authorities are supposed to be very suspicious and cautious in this kind of incident. It's up to Boeing to prove that it was a one off error and then how to prevent it happening again.
I would have thought the panel would be riveted on, like the other skin panels, but not knowing the 737 very well, I may be wrong. The fasteners should be “double mechanically locked“ to meet airworthiness requirements, so coming undone should not happen.

fuselage made by a third party

737 MAX is a family of planes, the MAX 9 variant is the one impacted. Often named as 737-9 or 737 MAX-9 or 737 MAX 9. Not the same as 737-900 which is older and of a previous family.

The CAA have said there are no UK registered 737 MAX 9's. And they have asked operators to confirm all the necessary safety checks have been carried out if they wish to use UK airspace.

737 NG (next generation) contains the main models 737-600/700/800/900 series and the extended range -700ER/900ER is the third generation of the 737 family.

The 737 MAX is the 4th generation of the family and contains the main MAX 737-7/8/9/10 series. This generation is different to the previous ones. The first commercial flight of the MAX 9 was in 2019.

Juan brown, a professional pilot, posted this on his YouTube channel.

It shows no obvious damage to the door surround, pointing to a possible locking mechanism fault.

He also posted a couple of videos on the Haneda runway collision.

Isn't is the case that the Boeing 737 design is now around 60 years old?... and was designed for a totally different era of airline travel..... Boeing keep squeezing it to meet modern requirements but really they need a totally new airframe design for modern needs.

Isn't is the case that the Boeing 737 design is now around 60 years old?... and was designed for a totally different era of airline travel..... Boeing keep squeezing it to meet modern requirements but really they need a totally new airframe design for modern needs.
I don't think there's any weight to your argument at all. As long as maintenance, inspections and regs are abided by, there'll be no issues.

Top Tip: wait until the findings of investigations are made public.

Why? The fuselage structure can remain roughly the same, but the modern 737 is much different to the -100 and -200. The main tweaks are for improved efficiency with new engines and aerodynamic improvements.

Juan brown, a professional pilot, posted this on his YouTube channel.

It shows no obvious damage to the door surround, pointing to a possible locking mechanism fault.

He also posted a couple of videos on the Haneda runway collision.
That is worrying. The aircraft has been in service for three months, so possibly a quality issue on all similar emergency doors, or the assembly of similar doors to the airframe.

I am glad I am flying with Easyjet on the A320 family next week.

One hypothesis is that the door panel had been removed for maintenance purposes and not put back properly.

My understanding was that this was a blanking panel, not an actual door, so there shouldn’t be latches. Nor a door.

Also, the aircraft had only been in service for a couple of months. Unlikely any maintenance would have been expected on this panel/door by then.

advertisement

Back